Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Drill bits, anger, and alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's the backup plan. Do you just drill straight into the keyhole? Once the lock is drilled out, can the gas cap still function as a non-locking gas cap or do I need to hit up Rockauto? (which has let me down before, when I ordered a Stant gas cap for my Studebaker and it didn't fit at all)

I don't have any experience with drilling out locking gas caps, just the anger and alcohol, but yeah that's how I'd go at it. Drill the lock cylinder, progressively with larger bits as needed. Coat the bits in heavy grease to catch the filings that you can, but the fuel filter should prevent any that go down the filler from loving things up badly.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

slidebite posted:

Just buy a new gas cap man. There are places other than Rock-Auto if you don't like them.

Yeah, just go to the nearest gas station and tell them you think you lost your cap there. They'll have a box to choose from.

• Locked thread