Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That whole update reminded me of a game my brother used to play back in the day, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. The graphics were very early 3D. You started off in this little square, it almsot made me think of a tiny park. You had to get out of it to start the game. And there were enemies and obstacles that could kill you instantly in Flashback-style scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That sounds like half the games Lowtax & Shmorky played.

azren posted:

I didn't realize our heroine had a name...

I don't think she does. She just kind of looks like a Tess to me.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This video starts and ends exactly the same.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

gnome7 posted:

This video starts and ends exactly the same.

Okay, I'm really enjoying the banter and the presentation, but this is starting to get frustrating to watch. Do you manage to get through this section within the next episode? And if not would you consider editing some of it out?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I'm not going to lie, this is the worst part of the game. We... do not get through this section in just the next video. BUT, with the next video, I will also post an abridged video compressing episodes 4 and 5 into one, much shorter episode.

Episode 6 is where progress begins happening again, and then it's almost smooth sailing from there. Almost.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

This is like the world's worst game show. What's behind door number three? A broken neck! And a broken neck for you! And a broken neck for all of you!

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

"Why did I decide to do this?" - Let's Play Arctic Alive

Glad to hear that you do get through soonish, though; I don't think I could take much more of that horrible neck-snap sound effect. :gonk:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I'm reminded of this Key & Peele sketch: https://youtu.be/3-jv7doUI8o

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Update!!! Sorry for the two week delay, but I have an explanation.

First, a warning: This entire video is neck snapping. No progress gets made.

Second, the delay: I have episodes 6-12 all ready to go for this LP, but the delay was caused when making Episodes 3-5: Abridged Edition. Right when I finished, after working on it for 5ish hours of video editing, there was an error and the first 18 minutes of the video was accidentally deleted. I still have the raw files so I can remake it, but I was just so upset about it that I decided I wouldn't get back to it for a day or two. But then two weeks happened and welp. I never got back to remake that video.

I said I'd release it in conjunction with the full length version of our experience here in Arctic Alive, but. I'll release it when I go back to making it. For now, episode 5.

I'm still mad I lost it because the edited down version was so much better than these videos are. I get a lot better at editing videos over the next 7 or so and I wish I could go back and release the video that got lost instead of these three separate ones. But oh well. It'll come out when I get to it, sorry about the delay.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I'm sorry to say that some of this game's magic has disappeared for me. Not your guys' fault, but rather because I found out that blender actually does have a game engine built into it. From blender's feature page:

Blender posted:

Included in Blender is a complete game engine, allowing you to create a fully featured 3d game right inside Blender.

The game engine includes:

Ability to port your models to any third-party game engine
Create or code your own game logic
Full Bullet Physics integration
Python scripting API for advanced control and AI
Support for all OpenGLTM dynamic lighting, toon shading, animated materials as well as Normal and Parallax Mapping
Playback of games inside Blender without compiling or preprocessing
3D spatial audio using OpenAL

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

LogicalFallacy posted:

I'm sorry to say that some of this game's magic has disappeared for me. Not your guys' fault, but rather because I found out that blender actually does have a game engine built into it. From blender's feature page:

But does Blender have any cooks inside it?

'Yayyy we're back at square one!' Something no one should ever said joyfully and yet here we are.

No shade but I enjoy seeing what people say for filler when they just can't get through a goddamn part in a goddamn videogame.

Also: I knit while watching movies/LPs so this is a helpful distraction while my fingers go 'k1, p1 p1, k1, so,....' ad infitum. I promise I'm being very productive watching this ;)

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Have some fanart.

He's finally found his place in the world.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

NiftyBottle posted:

Have some fanart.

Oh. My. Gosh. Look at this thing of beauty :allears: Please tell me that's a muffin on their head aaaaaa

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Wedemeyer posted:

Oh. My. Gosh. Look at this thing of beauty :allears: Please tell me that's a muffin on their head aaaaaa

Supposed to be a blueberry muffin, yeah.

Chemifox
May 2, 2016
Firstly, I am really enjoying this LP. I am honestly not sure why, but I am.

Secondly, after watching this video and hearing page #4 over and over, I had a thought. It was the weird combination of 'cook', 'cage', and 'paint' that did it. So, in the beginning, our main character was in a locked cage with some food (roasted leg), and there are cans of paint just outside the cell. I'm pretty sure Nina is supposed to be the cook? And perhaps she was experimented on for some reason? Although, she was not wearing the food... and I have no idea what the paint has anything to do with anything? Maybe I am overthinking a game made in Blender.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

NiftyBottle posted:

Have some fanart.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I love it I love you this is great :3:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"If you are one of the wierdos watching this, please, there are so much better things you could have done with this hour of your time. You could have created something, you could have made a friend"
Faerie Fortune, 2016, saying around me, me to do something other than behave and quietly watch videos. Me, create? Have you learned nothing?

Well here, behold art, behold the Schwa-tering Can!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

When the carrots have complete growing will you be able to return to the cage in the first episode and wear the carrots? Please hack or mod this into the game, thanks!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Progress.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
OH MY GOD ACTUAL PROGRESS!

EDIT: I'm just happy we can move on with the game.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 2, 2016

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Things! You can do things beyond walk around holy baby bananas!! Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this mystery.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Holy poo poo the game got interesting! And you can actually deal with close areas with shadowguys so there's no way we'll get stuck for two hours in the same drat spot over and over and over again.

Also it seems like the game also has some scripted events as you progress through. The power goes out presumably after you get water back up and running. This facility has a lot of stuff and comforts in it, but I guess when you're trapped in a cage wearing food in the arctic, you want your facilities self-sustaining.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Finally progress.

I hope the laptop save points have infinite battery.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013
So still haven't found the sneak button? I'm still waiting for you to open the controls menu by accident, find the sneak command and collapse in a fit of rage ;)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3WkIENVY_M
Choke me ... I don't care.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Burzmali posted:

So still haven't found the sneak button? I'm still waiting for you to open the controls menu by accident, find the sneak command and collapse in a fit of rage ;)

Wait, what? WHAT? what. You're kidding, right? Don't tell me that there actually is a sneak button.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Aumanor posted:

Wait, what? WHAT? what. You're kidding, right? Don't tell me that there actually is a sneak button.

The designers of this game aren't exactly masters of the art, but they aren't dumb enough to make a game with stealth elements without a sneaking option.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Burzmali posted:

The designers of this game aren't exactly masters of the art, but they aren't dumb enough to make a game with stealth elements without a sneaking option.

THAT'S why they put in the ridiculous latex suit. It's her Sneaking Suit!! Everything makes sense.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Burzmali posted:

...gnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooome!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This is the end of recording session 1. Progress continues.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
The absolute best part of page diaries is that they tick off enough horror cliches that it's possible to fill in the blanks, so it's (almost) possible to compare the writer's intent to the ridiculous end result. Like speed bears. :allears:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

That's a huge bathtub. What are you making in there, soup? :v: Oh gosh, now that you mention lighting in the game, I'm really glad the game creator's did not go the route of making everything pitch black and have the flash light be a tiny puddle of light. Like every doggam Slenderman game out there.

I'm disappointed the pan found in the smoking room is not a giant magnifying glass that the dev's forgot to shrink down to a proper side.

I'm sad about Cook. I really thought Cook was Nina. And bless you Fae for remembering the food for the Cook holy poo poo I choked on my own saliva :laffo:

Wow what a nice cut scene . It added nothing, but I appreciate the effort though. HOLY gently caress ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Well I'm glad there's no more slender void colored people, but. But. Speed Bears.

Lastly, I appreciate you making Nina walk in circles while reading out the diary pages. It's very immersive :3:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I've started rewatching this and within the first few minutes gnome says he doesn't know how to interact with items, but the right click makes him sorta crouch.

Is that the sneak mechanic you/we/everyone missed?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Aithon posted:

I've started rewatching this and within the first few minutes gnome says he doesn't know how to interact with items, but the right click makes him sorta crouch.

Is that the sneak mechanic you/we/everyone missed?

It is not! I am assuming the sneak button is probably CTRL, if I know my dumb pinky-hating video game controls, but it'll be at least 8 episodes before I can check. Right Click puts you into a ready stance to use something you are holding. The only thing I've found so far that does something with that is the Ax - swinging it requires holding right click + hitting left click.

Wedemeyer posted:

That's a huge bathtub. What are you making in there, soup? :v: Oh gosh, now that you mention lighting in the game, I'm really glad the game creator's did not go the route of making everything pitch black and have the flash light be a tiny puddle of light. Like every doggam Slenderman game out there.

Oh, right, I knew I forgot to mention something. In editing, I upped the gamma on all darkness parts from this episode onward by 30%. The darkness is extremely dark in this video game. I have made it less dark so you can see anything at all during the times I forget to turn on the flashlight.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

gnome7 posted:

It is not! I am assuming the sneak button is probably CTRL, if I know my dumb pinky-hating video game controls, but it'll be at least 8 episodes before I can check. Right Click puts you into a ready stance to use something you are holding. The only thing I've found so far that does something with that is the Ax - swinging it requires holding right click + hitting left click.

That's kind of a relief. And I totally get hating left Ctrl, to the point of completely remapping the controls if I have to use it with any regularity. I'm guessing this game doesn't let you do that, though.

The delay is fine, speed bears don't look like they can be sneaked around very well, anyway. :v:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Oh, right, I knew I forgot to mention something. In editing, I upped the gamma on all darkness parts from this episode onward by 30%. The darkness is extremely dark in this video game. I have made it less dark so you can see anything at all during the times I forget to turn on the flashlight.

Oh. Well that's disappointing. But I appreciate your efforts into making this game less poo poo to look at! And I genuinely hope you try to go fishing with bners. But be aware! Speed Bear!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
A mistake is made.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I appreciate the gamma correction, but now I'm wondering how dark it is. Is it as bad as the other videos?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Those skis right next to the door are just taunting Nina. Surely you could outrun a Speed Bear with Ski Physics. But you probably could not see this in the pitch-slenderman darkness of this game....

It's weird but the strange wording in this game is growing on me. I'm hankering for some fire leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Perhaps the Cook should be in a cage wearing Fire Leg(gings?)

• Locked thread