Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kangra posted:

The Joey will have seen the things in the experimenting which are to be upset. Over the bears and the people of the liquid which is surprising more. When found, the ending damages the mind alters. It is suggested the cage.

:perfect:

For this, the next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm paraphrasing it from Packing for Mars by Mary roach, but I recall NASA/some space program did some testing on cleanliness and clothing. In one attempt, astronauts in training would only wear one set of clothing and not shower or change clothing for about 3 or so months. By the end of the test the clothing was literally rotting off their bodies, and the smell.... Well, it was the opposite of pleasant.

So yay for realism in the game, I guess. I just thought I'd throw out why Nina is changing her clothes so much.

Also loving thank you for speeding this up. Good lord what an unbearable game.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Wedemeyer posted:

I'm paraphrasing it from Packing for Mars by Mary roach, but I recall NASA/some space program did some testing on cleanliness and clothing. In one attempt, astronauts in training would only wear one set of clothing and not shower or change clothing for about 3 or so months. By the end of the test the clothing was literally rotting off their bodies, and the smell.... Well, it was the opposite of pleasant.

So yay for realism in the game, I guess. I just thought I'd throw out why Nina is changing her clothes so much.

I mean, REALISM is nice and all but it hasn't even been 3 days in-game yet.

As for speed up, yeah I should've done it sooner but I was learning a new editing program while making these videos. Episodes 3-6 should've really been compressed into two episodes instead. But oh well, more knowledge for next time.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Wedemeyer posted:

Here's a reminder that he really, REALLY should be sneaking in this section. Seems to me that if you know how to do that the most anoying part are the speedbears and -60 degrees at night outside.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This is the final video of session 2. This video may require you to actually watch it with your eyeballs, instead of just listening to it in another tab and remembering all your mistakes like how I do.

EDIT: For the record, the frame rate issues at the end of this session and the end of session 1 (episode 7) were caused by the same thing. At the end of session 1, I'd noticed I'd been recording to my main hard drive, which meant the frame rate and runtime problems were being caused by my computer running out of space while we were playing. I had attempted to redirect FRAPS to record in a different hard drive for session 2, but it... didn't, for some reason. So the problems this episode are caused by my computer running out of space during play, again.

So that is one problem that probably isn't the game's fault at all. Just to give Arctic Alive a completely fair shake.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 17, 2016

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I think all technical difficulties should be presented like this.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

JossiRossi posted:

I think all technical difficulties should be presented like this.

Agreed, dude.

I'm glad both the bear and shadow buddies give you a warning before running after you. Very polite.

Oh. OH. This is what you mean. I feel like the previous episode's title portended this. I do watch the videos tucked to one side of my screen because I think it's funny how your frustration pours through the screen through cursor jiggling, etc. But this. This is next level poo poo.

Well that's just the joy of playing things blind! Or as Supergreatfriend says 'bumbling through [video game]'.

In summary:

this game posted:

This frame rate :) and recording nonsense :) is not necessary right now :) fucko.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This is the greatest update ever in the history of everything

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh my god this is quite possibly my favorite update since we found out the cook should be in a cage wearing meat.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

gnome you're a goddamn genius that was amazing :allears:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So is this the equivalent of an SSLP needing to MSPaint? :allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I am very sad proud that my garbage friends didn't make this joke.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
This LP is entering a new level. Extra points for a hard drive crash or CPU fire in next update.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm glad you're LPing this game. Now to play it is not necessary.

Bet you could speedrun it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

DropsySufferer posted:

This LP is entering a new level. Extra points for a hard drive crash or CPU fire in next update.

So that's how they found the hot artifacts.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

It was not helpful.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Haha gnome is short!

HEY GUYS, GNOME IS SHORT! SOMEONE BUY HIM A STEPLADDER SO HE CAN SEE THE COMPUTER!

Conversely, I feel cursed about my height. I'm a 6 foot 2-3 guy whose attracted to guys taller than me.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I bet those flying saucers are short as gently caress. Puny rear end lightning bugs, trying to be all scary. Bah humbug.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
My fingers are incredibly short and stubby, we call them sausage fingers. Reaching ctrl on my keyboard while using the WASD keys sounds awful, it's clearly short fingers discrimination. I feel your pain, gnome.

You're still much taller than me, though, so I don't think I can make short jokes.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I gotta be real, that's pretty short, but hearing his voice I'm kinda disappointed that Gnome's not an actual like, 7-inch gnome.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Gnome, how are you possibly having so much trouble holding down the control key while moving? I want to see what your hand positioning looks like.

Also, does anybody remember/know what we're even collecting the artifacts for?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Is there some reason you can't use the right Ctrl key?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think the artifacts are for the flying saucer.
(Something about the hot/cold tank is supposed to restore the liquid people, or stop us from becoming one, or help us make friends with the bears?)

The real reason we're getting them is that it is necessary. At least for now.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Kangra posted:

I think the artifacts are for the flying saucer.
(Something about the hot/cold tank is supposed to restore the liquid people, or stop us from becoming one, or help us make friends with the bears?)

The real reason we're getting them is that it is necessary. At least for now.

Umm... after reading all the page diaries thus far, It seems to be the opposite, actually.

What I've been able to piece together despite the google translation:

We're one of the test subjects, designated B2. We and the other one, B1, have been kept here drugged and locked up. The whole facility, possibly military, was set up for the purpose of testing the converter, which is powered by the artifacts. I think it is implied that they didn't invent the machine themselves, but rather received (or perhaps found) the blueprints for it and the detector from somewhere. Might be the UFO connection. Once they're gathered enough artifacts, subject B1 has been put into the converter, and transformed into a liquid man. He was discovered to be both extremely hostile and virtually immortal, upon receiving injurly liquefying into a puddle of black goo harmful to anyone who comes into contact with it, only to reform some time later. Following the first experiment, the station has become isolated from the outside world- the communication is cut off and going beyond a certain distance from the station kills you. Resources started to grow thin and they were running out of sedatives to keep us drugged up, which is bad because the cook had to enter the holding cell to bring us food (this is my best attempt at figuring out what "the cook should be in a cage, wearing food" means). New artifacts kept popping up, however, and more and more members of the station personnel unexplainably started expressing the desire to use the device. The diary did not mention having to deal with multiple shadowmen so I assume they didn't go through it immediately. The aforementionned cook made a noise near the liquid guy like a doofus and got his neck snapped. They buried him outside the station, but they forgot to take the key to our cell from his body. At one point, the hunter who was supplying the sation with fish witnessed an UFO , and, terrified by it, ran into the facility and used the device. By the time the last page was written, all personnel but one have converted. The author leaves one final message, addressing either us or whoever finds the facility, half warning half taunting us that before long, we'll follow them and turns into a shadow man himself. A short time later the drugs wear out, we wake up and the game starts.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:psyduck:

That...actually makes a lot of sense. Are you some kind of plot wizard?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So wait, we're trying to become one of those shadowmen?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I guess I should post the next video then.

There will be one more video after this but we're just about done with the Arctic facility.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

gnome7 posted:

Good news! Joey and I just beat the game, so the rest of the episodes should be coming pretty soon.

Joey just keeps repeating "what" in skype over and over and I'm getting concerned.

I hope now you understand why my reaction to this bonkers ending was the way it was because seriously what the hell that came out of nowhere

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So uh, that certainly happened. Yessiree bob.

I feel like it was trying to be one of those short horror films on YouTube that are made scary by the fact that nothing is explained (although the only one that comes to mind is Pictured)...but it ended up being ridiculous because no one explains what's going on AT THE PRESENT MOMENT and it's never made clear.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Nina has to go now. Her planet needs her.

Nina died on the way back to her homeworld

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well, at least we can say that the ending was as comprehensible as the rest of the game was :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This was... some game. I do wonder what was behind that door you guys didn't open.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The pause between Fae finishing speaking about UFOs, and Gnome's brain catching up is just beautiful.

Aww this was a nice ending. I'm glad we're going home :3: That was a good ending because otherwise what else could happen? Military dropping by? Or Nina starving to death? And holy gently caress those statistics! 'Stain pants' = zero. Well played, Gnome. You did not poo poo Nina's pants. I want to know what shedding tears means.

Mraagvpeine posted:

This was... some game. I do wonder what was behind that door you guys didn't open.

Me too. I'm sure it's nothing though. Still disappointed we never fished, or went skiing. All the same, thank you for playing this game! It was a wild ride and wonderful dream.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Wedemeyer posted:

I want to know what shedding tears means.

Most likely that Nina didn't play the synthesizer enough.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So, when can we expect the LP of Silicone-2?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Maybe Mars Needs Women, and they put the converter there until they could finally capture a shadowgirl.

But in the sequel Nina takes over the ship and brings the cook back to life to team up and wear food together.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

And we're done here! G'night folks!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I just realized that the 'nina crying' on the end game results stats is probably what happens if you never take the anti depressants.

Man, I thought the UFO would go to a wild amazing planet. Turns out they just need more janitors. Oh well, it's a living.

Crazed laughter is the best way to end every LP :allears: Thanks again for sharing this wild ride with the rest of us!

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
It only struck me now that the plot was explained that in "the cook should be wearing food", "wear" is basically the same word in Polish as "carry" ("nosić"). So yeah, the cook was probably just bringing food to subjects. I don't know about Russian, but it's the same family of languages, so it might also be similar. For that matter, "turn on"/"activate" can also be the same word as "include" ("włączyć"), hence the "Including generator" prompt you got after filling the tank with a fuel. :allears:

Thank you for getting through this crazy game and showing it off even despite its protests, it's been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh yeah, thanks for the LP of this crazy diamond of a game. :allears:

Honestly, as far as horror games on Steam go, this had a potential to be good, if not passable. As it stands right now, the only thing it has going for it is its mistranslations, in that you can get around and do stuff, but if you want to know the whys, though poo poo.

That said, if I had the means to direct changes, I would definitively add more ways to deal with/distract the bears and the shadow boys, but I'm not sure what else to change.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 26, 2016

• Locked thread