Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

It doesn't matter which one you use because your boss wants to store every single hit to the website in a single 300gb table with no index.

*adds index to speed up reporting, website slows to a crawl due to huge index size*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

qhat posted:

the best thing about mysql is the stored procedures don't have their query plans cached server side. they are generated every single time a connection is opened.

conversely, i've seen a mysql server holding onto huge quantities of memory and just generally making GBS threads itself after an application generated a whole lot of prepared statements by mistake. even after the connection had been closed and associated resources should have been cleaned up. never figured what that was all about and the server had to be rebooted in the end

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

At least mysql has on the wire compression going for it. It's a real shame nothing like that is supported by SQL server.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yeah man gotta compress those tables so they fit in the pipes better

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yes?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

qhat posted:

SQL server has had absolutely no parallel since 2012. Maybe oracle but that poo poo is loving expensive for what you get.

isn't that about the same time it got row numbering, or was that 2008

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Maximum Leader posted:

mariadb is a good database (works) but i hear postgres is faster. my queries are simple though so why bother changing what works.

postgres has transactional ddl

create index concurrently too

oh and jsonb now

and upserts

i mean there's even weird things like pg_trgm which lets you index things and search by regex

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i haven't used sql server since uh 2007-8 i think

but it's still drat good at what it does

but uh you have to kinda have a dba who knows deep dark magic to get it to perform miracles

also the MSR work on hekaton/bw-trees/llama/deuteronomy is kinda neat

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

MongoDB

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Janitor Prime posted:

If you're doing a group by and try to include a column in the select statement that isn't part of the group by then every other SQL backend complains, but MySQL will just helpfully return some value without complaining making it seem like it's correct and then later the query planner fucks you and actually returns a different unexpected value.

yes its very useful and i don't know why sql doesn't have a just_arbitrarily_pick_one() aggregate function

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

tef posted:

isn't that about the same time it got row numbering, or was that 2008

2012 was the first version that came with alwayson availability groups, which are super great

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

(which hired the wiredtiger group (i.e the other half of berkleydb, which was bought out by oracle), ...)

mongodb built a product, got a user base, and is now taking that sweet, sweet, support money and buying up people with skills

i mean tbh laugh at mongodb all you like but it's kinda rare to sell a database and make money

edit: as a startup

tef fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 13, 2016

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
more like blunderdome

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

sql server, because 'MSSSMS' is a great loving name

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
we use mysql and we put it on os x and we like it that way

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
csv txt

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

tmesis posted:

um

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Lets talk about which geospatial extensions are our favorite. I have only used postgis and its cool and good, but I hear all the other players have their own?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

tmesis posted:

Who is we?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

ADINSX posted:

Lets talk about which geospatial extensions are our favorite. I have only used postgis and its cool and good, but I hear all the other players have their own?

i got some GIS data once from a map provider and it was in a oracle database format and it was a huge pile of poo poo

the data was ok, but oracle's poo poo is just a huge mess to work with. wouldnt bother.

postgis supremacy

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
db2 is nice if you have 100's of TBs of relational data

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

spectres of autism posted:

more like blunderdome

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
microsoft excel, op

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

spectres of autism posted:

more like blunderdome

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

lol if your job doesnt consist of 90% hacking through useless peon's hackjob SQL statements that are embedded directly into VBA modules in bespoke excel sheets because we only care about speed to market..

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

refleks posted:

lol if your job doesnt consist of 90% hacking through useless peon's hackjob SQL statements that are embedded directly into VBA modules in bespoke excel sheets because we only care about speed to market..

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
op get the gently caress out of yospos

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

refleks posted:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
bump

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
oh wait i thought this thread was in CoC for some reason

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
MSSQL is the best database

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

im curious how mysql got more adoption than postgres, or seems to have been more widely adopted in the 00s

i'd be money on the default php library being made to target it or something like that

mongo is a pos i will never work with mongo again as long as i live unless the money is really good

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Share Bear posted:

im curious how mysql got more adoption than postgres, or seems to have been more widely adopted in the 00s

i'd be money on the default php library being made to target it or something like that

mongo is a pos i will never work with mongo again as long as i live unless the money is really good

yes it's because php

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Share Bear posted:

not my sql

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
why is it even called mysql

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
there's a python mysql library called oursql

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

why is it even called mysql

named after one of the creator's daughter i think

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i got some GIS data once from a map provider and it was in a oracle database format and it was a huge pile of poo poo

the data was ok, but oracle's poo poo is just a huge mess to work with. wouldnt bother.

postgis supremacy

I'm repairing an oracle spacial db as we speak that somehow managed to corrupt itself over two weeks ago with no one noticing until it restarted for patches. good times, totally not a clusterfuck or anything.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm getting a poor vibe about oracle ITT. I mean I've not actually had to use it personally, and I've heard it has some nice performance features which are unrivaled, but also that it costs an order of magnitude higher than basically everything else. Databases corrupting themselves on a semi regular basis isn't something that sounds all that great to work with, however.

qhat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

mongodb, works for me!

• Locked thread