Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Now granted, I've only seen the first level but....
People complained that this looks too much like sf64? Like, yes there's a lot of call backs with the game being a reboot and all, but the level itself was pretty different than the 64 one. And the game mechanics seem to be similar, but much more complicated and varied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

Now granted, I've only seen the first level but....
People complained that this looks too much like sf64? Like, yes there's a lot of call backs with the game being a reboot and all, but the level itself was pretty different than the 64 one. And the game mechanics seem to be similar, but much more complicated and varied.

Yeah, they don't actually reuse any levels from 64. The planets have the same name, but they are all new levels. The general design and progression is done in the same style of 64, but people that act like they just gave 64 an HD update are dumb.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Nice. Now we get to see the war of the space wildlife once again. I did not realized that Platinum developed this, but probably should given how much they love the series.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 14, 2016

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015

Larryb posted:

The good thing about them rebooting the franchise again (remember, 64 itself was essentially a remake of the SNES game) is they no longer have to deal with all the crap that got added to the series from Adventures onward. This way if they make another game we can get the proper Star Fox sequel we should have gotten after 64.

And they especially don't have to deal with Star Fox Command and all its completely different story directions. That's a pretty huge benefit all by itself.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I loved 64 and got weirdly attached to Assault. I'm really curious to see what this game is like.

EllipsisBreak posted:

And they especially don't have to deal with Star Fox Command and all its completely different story directions. That's a pretty huge benefit all by itself.

One of those endings had Fox and Falco quit to become F-Zero racers. I feel like that game was worth creating just for that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So this game is good besides the confusing controls? Sounds like Uprising to me.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

So this game is good besides the confusing controls? Sounds like Uprising to me.

Kid Icarus Uprising is the greatest game ever made, but Star Fox Zero def isn't nearly as bad as hyperbolic internet reviewers claim and is perhaps even very good

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm pretty sure KIU's major complaints were its controls and writing. SF0 seems to have more reasons for attacking it. It looks decent, but I think I can see where people are coming from saying it's too much like 64.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Uprising looks like it'd be a masterpiece if you had three hands. It looks like a very good game otherwise- they wouldn't have cribbed so many ideas from it into Smash 4 if it weren't.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The secret is that yes, it's very much like Lylat Wars and is very deliberately calling back to it and the Super Nintendo with enemies, bosses, areas, dialogue, and so on. And that's all fine, because it's still another Star Fox, and that's still great.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Star Fox 64 is a pretty loving awesome game to be "too similar to" if you ask me.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

The Casualty posted:

Star Fox 64 is a pretty loving awesome game to be "too similar to" if you ask me.

Really shows the age divide when folks hail N64 games as the pinnacle of the medium, when in fact real gamers remember carving Oware boards out of a sapele log.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Skippy Granola posted:

Really shows the age divide when folks hail N64 games as the pinnacle of the medium, when in fact real gamers remember carving Oware boards out of a sapele log.

Real gamers never get a pawn stuck in the house of waters. #justsenetthings

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Oh, wow, this game actually looks like a lot of fun. The different camera angles are a little weird, and I'm not sure about the reticle being separate from the Arwing itself, but those quick laser bursts and somersaults look like they'd feel crazy satisfying.

Which means I'm probably gonna buy this game. Thanks a lot, Maple Leaf...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Olive Branch posted:

We actually brought that up but Maple didn't want to reference the cartoon, as good as it was. :v:

In case anyone doesn't know, but I'm sure most of you do; what's being talked about is this.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm pretty sure KIU's major complaints were its controls and writing. SF0 seems to have more reasons for attacking it. It looks decent, but I think I can see where people are coming from saying it's too much like 64.

It was ABSOLUTELY the controls, the writing even if it was bad it's more a "Your mileage may vary" on the humor more than anything else. But the controls were literally so obtuse you drat near needed the 3DS stand.

It's not really a comparable "problem" to what Star Fox Zero has that every reviewer who's apparently signed a contract with Satan to hate it thinks.
The kindest review of it I've seen so far is from Chris Stuckmann where he says: "You can get used to the controls over time...but that's basically like saying you can get used to anything annoying if you just put up with it for long enough."

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Having never played KIU or this game (going in blind like Other M and Goldeneye) I can't say how bad or good the motion controls are, but after playing Goldeneye on the Wii, I can't say that the motion control system Nintendo has made is particularly reliable. Maple Leaf has a great grasp of controls and finesse, probably from his Smash Bros practice, but speaking for myself I probably would have issues too. Does this game have a "turn off motion controls" option?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Olive Branch posted:

Having never played KIU or this game (going in blind like Other M and Goldeneye) I can't say how bad or good the motion controls are, but after playing Goldeneye on the Wii, I can't say that the motion control system Nintendo has made is particularly reliable. Maple Leaf has a great grasp of controls and finesse, probably from his Smash Bros practice, but speaking for myself I probably would have issues too. Does this game have a "turn off motion controls" option?

The best you got is a "turn off motion controls unless you're actively shooting or charging a shot", which honestly works really well.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The control options in this are "always on" and "on when firing".

I haven't played Uprising yet, but I never had any real issue with Goldeneye either, and aiming a Wii Remote at a sensor bar is fairly different from just generally moving around an object with gyro sensors, especially since the reticle can be re-centred at any time, like Wii Motion Plus games.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm pretty sure KIU's major complaints were its writing.

Beg pardon?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i don't really want to play star fox 64 with standard aiming anymore, and i think aiming with a second analog stick would be just as slow and clunky as it is in every other game

TCat posted:

It was ABSOLUTELY the controls, the writing even if it was bad it's more a "Your mileage may vary" on the humor more than anything else. But the controls were literally so obtuse you drat near needed the 3DS stand.

i was going to make fun of you but this isn't a kid icarus thread

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

The Casualty posted:

Pretty much this, yeah. Call it nostalgia glasses but I've played the poo poo out of 64 back in the day and this game (if the first stage is any example) while having many similarities, does enough different for it to stand on its own while retaining the former's charm.

I won't speak of the controls since I haven't played it myself. It, indeed, sounds like it'd take some getting used to... whether that's a problem or just a small speed bump varies with each person.

What I WILL complain, however, is that I don't like Falco's new voice! He lacks "oomph" compared to his old self! And something about Peppy's voice just doesn't click with me the way the old one did but maybe that is nostalgia at work.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Y-Hat posted:

If SFZ had the amount of content Uprising did, it would easily be my top Wii U game (with Uprising being my favorite 3ds game).

Lord Ephraim fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 17, 2016

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Sector α

Episode 2: Run 1

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I like the callbacks to the Super Nintendo, even though most of the game is Lylat Wars. Gives the whole game a "greatest hits" vibe.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The fleet battle levels were always some of my favorite in the older starfox games. Just something about tearing your way through entire squadrons of warships. :allears:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I'm pretty sure the shape of the battleship you fly into is taken from the battleship from Star Fox 2, though yeah, that whole thing is absolutely remincient of the last part of the Space Armada from the SNES game.

The walker is great. Getting that option is pretty cool, and it comes in handy from time to time. Legit never knew about that gold ring medal though. Never thought to wait around on that last elevator.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Just wanna add to the Hideki Kamiya twitter stuff. When the game was shown off at E3 he tweeted out To all Star Fox idiots: I LOVE YOU. Also are you planning on showing off the bonus game, Star Fox Guard?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Black Mage Knight posted:

Just wanna add to the Hideki Kamiya twitter stuff. When the game was shown off at E3 he tweeted out To all Star Fox idiots: I LOVE YOU. Also are you planning on showing off the bonus game, Star Fox Guard?

I was going to do it blind. I haven't even opened it yet, hah.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The firing rate of the lasers seem way too fast in this game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

The firing rate of the lasers seem way too fast in this game.

I think it has to be, to be competitive with the homing AoE charged shot.

Honestly the bonus hits for shooting clusters of enemies with charged shots always kind of bugged me. Score me for shooting things down, fine, but why score me for shooting them down in a particular manner that's easier than shooting them down individually? Especially since that leads to enemy ships often appearing in tightly-clustered groups so you can take them down in one shot.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I know it's pure unfiltered nostalgia but I really love the GOOD LUCK voice

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
Man, i Love Star Fox and seeing this game in action, i kinda wish i had an Wii U.
The First Nintendo Console i did not buy like day One. and i still haven't to this day.

I admit, i totally missed release of this game, i heard the announcement one day and suddenly its here, out a month in fact. i heard mostly bad things, which i admit did turn me off, but seeing your Videos it looks really great and fun, so Thanks for LPing this thing and showing me i was wrong about it.

now i need a Wii U...

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think it has to be, to be competitive with the homing AoE charged shot.

Honestly the bonus hits for shooting clusters of enemies with charged shots always kind of bugged me. Score me for shooting things down, fine, but why score me for shooting them down in a particular manner that's easier than shooting them down individually? Especially since that leads to enemy ships often appearing in tightly-clustered groups so you can take them down in one shot.

Well, you do have to lock-on to the right enemy to hit them all at the same time, and they don't stay in those clusters forever so there is an element of timing, but I do agree that charged shots used to be too strong. In Zero, it's a bit more balanced due to the bonus dead hits and also, there is another thing in Zero that I don't believe was in 64. If you release the charge as soon as it locks, you get a blue shot with a bigger explosion. That creates a second element of timing in using charge shots.

Since I think the explanation was cut off in first video, it should be mentioned that while you have control during cut-scenes, you still can see normally on the bottom screen. So, you're not actually going to crash into something while one plays out, and sometimes you can even get extra hits in.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
(Hyper lasers also let you lock on to a second target with a charge shot, but good luck holding onto those for that long.)

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Looper posted:

I know it's pure unfiltered nostalgia but I really love the GOOD LUCK voice

I always heard it as GURD LOCK

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Area Three

Episode 3: Run 1

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

As another LP showed, monkeys are responsible for several war crimes.

Clearly, this leads all the way into the future. Time did not stop their evil. Star Fox is merely a continuation of the crimes of the Kong family.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I thought the gyrowing controlled just fine. Well enough to do the sequences I was required to use it in correctly, anyway.

On a slightly different note, I wouldn't have minded some more training missions, Metal Gear-style, that used the various vehicles. The ones that Zero has are good, but it only has two for each vehicle, and I'd be down for like ten or twenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Man, that's what everyone hated so much? The gyrowing looks real easy to fly compared to helicopters in Toy Commander, it looks like the kind of thing I would have picked up immediately and enjoyed. Really, this whole LP so far makes me want to get the game, I'm not seeing anything half as bad as what I've heard from the people who didn't like it.

• Locked thread