Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No one has the heart to tell Peppy they're actually aileron rolls. I mean look at how excited he is to be doing them.

It would be terrible to crush granpy Peppy's dreams :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dumb Peppy meme aside, I having the flying landmaster there had me hoping for a mission that hopped between peppy shelling the outside and fox blasting up the inside of the giant spacecraft.

But at least there was the amazing teleporting arwing to amuse me instead.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Peppy's just so gosh darned enthused that he gets to show off :3:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Getting to play as Peppy owns, even if there aren't any real changes. The BARREL ROLLs are super dumb and I love them

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I never understood why "do a barrel roll" stuck out so much, what with every single line in 64 being narmy as hell.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

TheFattestPat posted:

I never understood why "do a barrel roll" stuck out so much, what with every single line in 64 being narmy as hell.

It's accessible within the first 5 minutes of play, so it had lots of exposure

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Fortuna

Episode 16: Run 3

Lone Wolf

Episode 16: Run 3

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I liked Wolf firing off those lasers for just ONE second before blowing up.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
You know since Star Wolf has their fighters turn into wolves, I wish Nintendo had gone with a fox instead of a chicken for the walker mode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TheFattestPat posted:

You know since Star Wolf has their fighters turn into wolves, I wish Nintendo had gone with a fox instead of a chicken for the walker mode.

nine-tailed fox, fires the charge shot from the tails.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

That reminds me, I went and I pulled out my old strategy guide, the one with the interview. Some other beta names Miyamoto thought up were StarSol, Sol Bread, Star Sheep, Star Hawk, Space Boar, and Stardian. Miyamoto wanted the Walker to be in Star Fox 64, but the design team "hated" the idea, so he challenged them to come up with something better, and that's how we got the Blue Marine and, more lastingly, the Landmaster. And finally, the ultimate decision to make Star Fox a fox was because of a place called Fushimi Inari, a famous shrine located a ten-minute walking distance from Nintendo's headquarters. Inari is the name of the traditional god of grain and is most commonly depicted as a fox. Miyamoto spent a lot of time at Fushimi Inari because that's where he often took his then-girlfriend during his breaks.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Initially making it about/named after birds makes a lot of sense, since I think Star Fox was inspired by the Thunderbirds show.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Corneria

Episode 17: Run 3

Will Star Fox make it to Venom and defeat the nefarious Andross??!!

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
So do those 5 medals just drop all in a row like that every time you get to the boss or do you have to get a certain score or something to drop them all?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

No, just the score medal and the Mission Accomplished medal are rewarded at the end. In that video, we got our first medal at 4:00 for getting the three gold rings; the second at 5:29 for killing 30 enemies in the time limit; the third at 7:27 for letting the Gigarilla do property damage; and the other two at the end of the level.

e: oh, I misunderstood the question. Corneria 2 is just a unique example in that all five medals are very close together and don't require a ton of exploration.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 12, 2016

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I think you're right, Maple Leaf - the Gigarilla fight is just as hard, if not harder, in the normal Arwing. That kick is a monster no matter what you're flying in.

The next level I'm kind of meh on, but Corneria 2 is a fantastic example of what this game lets you do. Imagine trying to get 379 kills with Star Fox 64's control scheme.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That boss is what got me to give up on this game. I made it that far and still never got used to the controls with either method. And then that thing doing such an absurd amount from each hit was just the final "this game isn't worth playing anymore" for me. I'm really looking forward to seeing what I missed out on.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
here is some cool fanart for a cool lets play by my lets play friend maple leafyishere

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pretty sure that comic was in Nintendo Power as well. And it has the Black Arwing in. :v:

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Putty posted:

here is some cool fanart for a cool lets play by my lets play friend maple leafyishere

Another quality contribution by professional Something Awfuler Putty.

oneforthevine posted:

The next level I'm kind of meh on, but Corneria 2 is a fantastic example of what this game lets you do. Imagine trying to get 379 kills with Star Fox 64's control scheme.

Well, here's a video of a guy getting 668 kills in Area 6.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pretty sure that comic was in Nintendo Power as well. And it has the Black Arwing in. :v:

Wow, they pulled a lot of ideas from the past! To be honest, I never liked that Star Fox 64 was a "reimagining" of Star Fox 64 - how difficult is it, honestly, to come up with new ideas for Star Fox? Given that the Black Arwing isn't even an original idea, it turns out, pretty drat.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 12, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I thought this was more of a callback to the Route 3 version of Corneria from SNES Star Fox, which also takes place at sunset

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Jesus.

I suppose I didn't clarify that I meant "imagine being a human being and getting that score."

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Venom

Episode 18: Finale

In spite of Venom leaving a sour taste in my mouth, I enjoyed this game thoroughly enough to spend five months LPing it. The game's presentation might not have been enough to convince you to buy it, but that's what I'm here for: to play it so you don't have to.

I wonder what else that philosophy might apply to in the future?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Looking forward to the Federation Force LP

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, that was kind of disappointing. I was looking forward to something like Venom from SF64. Smashing your way through an orbital fleet before tearing across the surface forces THEN crushing Star Wolf before going after Andross. :black101:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Ometeotl posted:

Looking forward to the Federation Force LP
Maple Leaf really spoiled us all with Other M but he has a second shot with that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Wow. After all that hype the game gave venom, making it disappear forcing the player to play another level before they can reach it, they just made it hard mode venom with a super lackluster boss at the end and some filler at the front?
The game looked pretty fun overall, but....
That's how they chose to end it? Really?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Yep, that certainly is a Nintendo floating hands and head boss. Definitely disappointing after the buildup to get to Venom.

Thanks for the LP Maple Leaf.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Thanks for the awesome LP.

Another awesome Iwata anecdote:

Iwata wrote, among other things, the pathfinding algorithms for the Mach Pizza delivery guy and the Escargo Express dude in EarthBound. He also wrote the (ludicrously complicated) scripting language that governs the text boxes in that game. The scripting language is so complex that, theoretically at least, you could use EarthBound's text boxes to emulate EarthBound. Iwata was a genius.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I definitely thought Robo Andross meant there was something I'd missed. Ooooh well, the rest of the game is still really fun

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
It's a shame the final level is a letdown, because the rest of the game looks really fun for the most part.

Tommy_Blanco
Oct 29, 2011
As much as I like the Starfox series, I can't help but notice that it has a "Groundhog Day" feel to it, just with updated graphics and a couple of gameplay tweeks. I wonder if the next game will actually be a sequel for once.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Tommy_Blanco posted:

I wonder if the next game will actually be a sequel for once.

I think Nintendo is quicly becoming a rotting husk at this point. Either their games are like Other M, made by people not-Nintendo, or are making a game out of DMCA-ing everyone that competent and a fan-made game while driving away their fans.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bummer of a final boss. Though at least the trippiness of it makes sense.

Hah; even Andross doesn't get Fox's name right!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
see you next mission

SugarAddict posted:

I think Nintendo is quicly becoming a rotting husk at this point. Either their games are like Other M, made by people not-Nintendo, or are making a game out of DMCA-ing everyone that competent and a fan-made game while driving away their fans.

:allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tommy_Blanco posted:

As much as I like the Starfox series, I can't help but notice that it has a "Groundhog Day" feel to it, just with updated graphics and a couple of gameplay tweeks. I wonder if the next game will actually be a sequel for once.

SNES Starfox, 64 and Zero were remakes. Assault and Command were sequels (I liked them, but there seems to be a lot of internet complaining that "they're not Starfox" which is one reason WHY Zero was a remake). Adventures was a trainwreck.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Bruceski posted:

SNES Starfox, 64 and Zero were remakes. Assault and Command were sequels (I liked them, but there seems to be a lot of internet complaining that "they're not Starfox" which is one reason WHY Zero was a remake). Adventures was a trainwreck.

And this is the problem that designers face: if they try something different, there can be so much risk of people going "but it's not really __________!" But if they do the same thing, there's a strong risk of people going "oh jeez, another remake?" or "it's too same-y, why can't they try something different?" It's not even remotely universal, but Star Fox, at least, has a definite pattern set for this problem.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It seems like it ought to be possible to make an on-rails 3D shooter with talking animals without retreading the plot and major bosses of prior games over and over again.

Back to the update, I actually liked the gameplay of that illusion tunnel section. The "pick the correct path" thing was dumb, but dodging the blocks looked fun and a nice callback to the SNES Venom, which had a lot more dodging than shooting (well, the shooting was when you were still in orbit).

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

SugarAddict posted:

i'm not irrelevant, i'm not irrelevant, nintendo continues to insist as it slowly shrinks and transforms into sega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Olive Branch posted:

i'm not irrelevant, i'm not irrelevant, nintendo continues to insist as it slowly shrinks and transforms into sega

"Mario on phones is a good idea." - Nintendo, 2016
"Mario on phones is a good idea." - Everyone, 2008

• Locked thread