Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Genghis Khan and Montezuma are the two that spring to mind as irreplaceable.
Mandukhai Khatun and Ahuitzotl. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah truth be told I could get over it if they replaced every leader.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
They replaced Moctezuma. In Civ4 it was Moctezuma II, in Civ5 it was Moctezuma I. :colbert:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

yeah I just always thought it was weird that Canada/Australia got jack poo poo so consistently throughout the series.

I'm not going to say it deserves to be in more than any other civ, I'm just saying it's like the easiest civ to make. Mounties are RIGHT THERE, and have an very deep history of intense combat, like that time they chased a crazy man through the woods. Or that other crazy man. Okay it's mostly just insane fur trappers and gold rushmen but isn't that what all civs are when you really think about it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mounties would be the worst way to include a Canadian civ.

Probably best to just not give them a unique military unit, since that would encourage military play. I've seen people come up with examples of a Peacekeeper unit which, while a little masturbatory, would at least enable a unique type of late game play style.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Canada and Australia got a bunch of city states over other more historical possibilities. City states are also the best way to represent cultures and nations that can't make it into the main game as a full playable "civilization" and hopefully they add some more features for them, like maybe giving militaristic city states their own unique units or certain city states their own unique wonders.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Probably best to just not give them a unique military unit, since that would encourage military play. I've seen people come up with examples of a Peacekeeper unit which, while a little masturbatory, would at least enable a unique type of late game play style.

I'm sure they're out there in a mod somewhere, but melee units that are clearly overpowered but can't take cities (or maybe even attack units) would be really interesting.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Proposition Joe posted:

Canada and Australia got a bunch of city states over other more historical possibilities. City states are also the best way to represent cultures and nations that can't make it into the main game as a full playable "civilization" and hopefully they add some more features for them, like maybe giving militaristic city states their own unique units or certain city states their own unique wonders.

Given that Civilization is in large part about making weird wacky alt-histories, having full-blown civs for nations that in reality are relatively small is not remotely impossible or a bad idea.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I'm sure they're out there in a mod somewhere, but melee units that are clearly overpowered but can't take cities (or maybe even attack units) would be really interesting.

I believe there is a Vietnam mod that has exactly that in the way of the Viet Cong,

Proposition Joe posted:

I think City States were originally referred to as Minor Civs, and I think it'd be cool if they could have more than one city, but weren't as serious of contenders as the rest of the civs. It'd also be interesting if your cities could rebel and become city states or something, should you mismanage them enough. Of course, I'm no game designer, and these probably aren't actually good choices, but since this is the opinion zone, there's nothing stopping me from spewing opinions.

VVV Agreed for the most part. I'd rather have a variety of cultures and everything, but I'm not opposed to sneaking one of those in there, so long as there's an interesting gameplay element to their inclusion. Those are all good choices though, I really like the pre-columbian new world civs in these games.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 17, 2016

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Given that Civilization is in large part about making weird wacky alt-histories, having full-blown civs for nations that in reality are relatively small is not remotely impossible or a bad idea.

I would rather have the Hittites, Cherokee, or Khmer over Canada, Australia, or Switzerland because the game presents a clash of civilizations not a clash of minor contemporary western countries. :shrug:

Also, I don't get an alt-history vibe from Civilization at all, that's more for games like Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 17, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I believe there is a Vietnam mod that has exactly that in the way of the Viet Cong,

Found it! Definitely playing as them next time I feel like turtling my way to victory.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Yinlock posted:

yeah I just always thought it was weird that Canada/Australia got jack poo poo so consistently throughout the series.

I'm not going to say it deserves to be in more than any other civ, I'm just saying it's like the easiest civ to make. Mounties are RIGHT THERE, and have an very deep history of intense combat, like that time they chased a crazy man through the woods. Or that other crazy man. Okay it's mostly just insane fur trappers and gold rushmen but isn't that what all civs are when you really think about it.

I think that, it actually makes a lot of sense that Canada/Australia have gotten jack poo poo so consistently throughout the series.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I really don't like that art style. It reminds me of the playstation version a while ago that had practically no features in it. Just extra cartoony. Since this is Civ 6 proper it'll probably be awesome and deep and I'll play the poo poo out of it tho. But I might wait for some DLC to come out before I buy. Let the game age a bit.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Maybe it's just lip service but it's encouraging that they went out of the way to say that modding the game will much easier than Civ5.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Most of the civs are pretty small, historically, because most countries were pretty small. Only a few European nations and Japan ever got really big into the whole imperialism thing, and even before that large empires have always been the exception, not the rule. Geographically speaking, Canada is probably bigger than most other playable civs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They should make everyone happy and have a custom civ designer like literally every other 4x game has.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Clarste posted:

Most of the civs are pretty small, historically, because most countries were pretty small. Only a few European nations and Japan ever got really big into the whole imperialism thing, and even before that large empires have always been the exception, not the rule. Geographically speaking, Canada is probably bigger than most other playable civs.

If Firaxis has to make a choice of including either Sumeria (inventors of writing, literal first civilization) or Canada (large) then I hope they go with Sumeria.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

They should make everyone happy and have a custom civ designer like literally every other 4x game has.

Well that'd be one way of finally profiting from including Hitler in the game.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Proposition Joe posted:

If Firaxis has to make a choice of including either Sumeria (inventors of writing, literal first civilization) or Canada (large) then I hope they go with Sumeria.

Well yeah, should they get into that very silly hypothetical situation where they're forced to choose between those two, that's a good pick. Additionally if they're forced to choose between Rome (longest lasting empire and founder of western civilization) or Atlantis (fictional) I hope they go with Rome.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Proposition Joe posted:

The Cucuteni-Trypillian Culture says what up.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
atlantis and some fantasy civs for a dlc would be pretty rad though

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Is there anything explaining the new building mechanic? I read that you put down blocks and those blocks will build specific buildings but have they said if there's a limit to how many buildings per block? I don't think they would make it so that you can only build limited buildings but I'm still confused about how it's going to work. I love the new art style though, it's very cheerful and cartoonish :buddy:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It looks less like "only this many buildings per district" and more "this district can be upgraded with these buildings"
They've specifically mentioned the campus district gets the library, university, and research lab.
It looks like this has subsumed the old building system, although it still looks like the monument and granary exist as city-tile buildings.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it sounds to me like you have to have a specific district built as a prerequisite for building certain buildings (and possibly units). Want to have a library? You need the campus. Want to have a barracks? You need the military district. Etc. There's 12 district types and they compete with tile improvements for space around your city, which should hopefully fix the "just build everything" problem that Civ 5 had (leading to a bunch of cities that all looked identical) while also being a more obvious tradeoff than Civ 4's upkeep and commerce system.

And of course wonders also take up map space. I wonder if you can end up crippling a city's long-term growth prospects by building too many wonders around it early on.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Well yeah, should they get into that very silly hypothetical situation where they're forced to choose between those two, that's a good pick. Additionally if they're forced to choose between Rome (longest lasting empire and founder of western civilization) or Atlantis (fictional) I hope they go with Rome.

That's not a silly hypothetical situation, in order to decide what civilizations are in the game then Firaxis needs to compare the historical importance and geographic representation of all the potential civilizations. If the match-up is silly then I guess Canada will never be in the game!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

sarmhan posted:

It looks less like "only this many buildings per district" and more "this district can be upgraded with these buildings"
They've specifically mentioned the campus district gets the library, university, and research lab.
It looks like this has subsumed the old building system, although it still looks like the monument and granary exist as city-tile buildings.

I read somewhere that they also had tile specific buildings and upgrades, as in observatory is only on a mountain and pyramids on desert. I like this idea a lot but I'm really concerned about :

And of course wonders also take up map space. I wonder if you can end up crippling a city's long-term growth prospects by building too many wonders around it early on.

because my playstyle is super casual and I always go for all the wonders. I'm assuming that'll be hard/impossible and I'm going to have to go for specific ones. I've no doubt that they're factoring in casual players moreso than hardcore grognards but I don't want it to be stripped down because of this new stuff. I liked all the buildings and wonders in Civ V even though there were a lot of them.

I also really loved BE and thought it was a fantastic game so :shrug:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Koramei posted:

atlantis and some fantasy civs for a dlc would be pretty rad though

I would play the hell out of a deep sea tile-bound Atlantis and soak up the furor it creates among stack of doom reminiscent type civfanatics forum posters.

And if there is a Brazil then their should be a Canada civ with no issues of lineage or civishness

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 17, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

shadow puppet of a posted:

I would play the hell out of a deep sea tile-bound Atlantis and soak up the furor it creates among stack of doom reminiscent type civfanatics forum posters.

And if there is a Brazil then their should be a Canada civ with no issues of lineage or civishness

I want an Antarctica DLC where all your units are military penguins and orcas for sea.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cowman posted:

I want an Antarctica DLC where all your units are military penguins and orcas for sea.

Lead by a very confused polar bear.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cowman posted:

I read somewhere that they also had tile specific buildings and upgrades, as in observatory is only on a mountain and pyramids on desert. I like this idea a lot but I'm really concerned about :
That's a different thing. It sounds like more wonders have requirements like Petra or Neuwachstein- we know Pyramids require a desert and Stonehedge need flat terrain next to stone.
The other thing they were talking about is how districts have synergy with terrain types- so campus districts and relgious districts both gain bonuses from adjacent mountains, and campus districts give bonuses to surrounding jungle once you build a university. This goes into their plan to move the city onto the map. It also looks like you might not need to be next to the coast to build maritime districts/naval units, but that's a lot more speculative.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Get rid of America and Brazil and let's have Sioux back and Tupi in their places.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Stop trying to make Hitler happen, he's not gonna happen :colbert:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
normies have farsightedness so the game has to look like a keebler elf came in a bag of limes, good job firaxis

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Cowman posted:

I'm assuming that wonders take up a space, but are not counted as districts, so building wonders doesn't limit the number of districts you can build but does limit the number of hexes you can place them. Fortunately each city has 36 hexes to choose from, so it shouldn't be a problem unless you really want to build all the wonders in the same city.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

They should release the game with only the canadian civ available for the player to choose, then the rest in expansions and DLCs.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

As an Australian I think that Canada and Australia have had little impact on the world since they are young countries with small populations. There are many more interesting and important options. Although it would be funny to have both as Civs and both use Elizabeth II who is currently head of state of both countries as a leader.

Also using a native Australian tribe is problematic since the English just rolled them so easily, Civ designers have always maintained that they want to have 'successful' rulers for civs (re: no Hitler)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

They could throw a bone to Jandamarra.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
If we're still comparing civilizations we'd want in VI, I've had a few of them kicking around in my head since Brave New World:

Romania under Vlad III and their unique building is the Forest
Utah under Brigham Young, because it's the one American unit I can think of that isn't America or a Native people
The Yoruba
Israel, which I know is a futile hope, under King Solomon. Unique unit Maccabees can't exit Israeli borders but spreads religion during each skirmish.
The Inuit, with some kind of ability that makes tundras and snow not a useless feature on the map

Also, I want more diversity in the religions. It's not a Viking army until they worship Odin, never mind what Harald Bluetooth actually did in his life.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Israel in Civ is probably the only thing even less likely to happen than Hitler in Civ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Proposition Joe posted:

That's not a silly hypothetical situation, in order to decide what civilizations are in the game then Firaxis needs to compare the historical importance and geographic representation of all the potential civilizations. If the match-up is silly then I guess Canada will never be in the game!

It's just silly to frame it as some kind of head to head tournament. I do agree that Canada isn't that important or likely to be in the game, but I think that a better method of comparison would be to look at all the civs they have in the game. Like, maybe Sweden, Denmark, Norway, The Netherlands, England, Germany, Austria, Poland, Russia and Hungary are all individually more important than Canada, but at a certain I'd rather a mix up for variety. Obviously Canada is a modern western country and not as much of a mix up as The Kongo or The Khmer, but it'd have it's place if they brought a unique playstyle.