Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Hoping they release the DLL source once everything is done though it seems pretty unlikely,
Or that civ 7 gets it. Vox populi seemed to do a great job with fixing those issues up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not gonna lie, after I restarted the current monthly challenge on Emperor and committed to playing it out, I'm having a blast and it's really fun. It really is a hand-crafted playground to run roughshod with your viking longships in.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
CIvGiv has been good so far, lots of fun weird little challenges. Very much looking forward to the 'Nuke the Preserves' games.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I'm a teacher and all my classes are done for the year.

At work I'm playing Civ V
At home I'm playing Civ VI.

MAN.

Civ VI really does improve on Civ V in so many ways. I don't think the balance is as good, also I prefer the presentation of Civ V over VI, but when you're playing the two back to back, you really appreciate VI.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I'm fond of Civ5 and really miss the cleaner graphics and UX whenever someone posts a screenshot, but I'm not sure I could go back to not having districts.

------------------

Been browsing through the wiki and web, got some questions/bugs:
-What the hell is the actual formula for Wall damage spitting? Nobody even drat well talks about it! I can see that the more damaged the wall, the more damage is applied to the city itself (proportionately? or just extra?), but I honestly have no real way of 'guessing' how well a brute-force siege will go until a few rounds of combat passes.
-Wiki states that ranged naval units don't suffer -17 strength when shooting cities, which jives with how effective frigates are, but I am 100% sure that my battleships once had this penalty in a normal game (I recall being surprised/annoyed about it, posted in this thread, then went and built a bunch of bombers). What's the difference/cutoff?
-The religious governor's "lay on hands" which fullheals units in a single turn, doesn't seem to work, or at least for naval units? Not even ones stationed in the city tile itself. Others on the net have said the same.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 19, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've continued to play UnCiv on my phone and I think it's damaging me. What if one more turn, but it's literally every moment of your waking life.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 19, 2023

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Districts, builders and Eureka moments are such awesome gameplay elements and MAN does it suck to not have them.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

Yea I'm fond of Civ5 and really miss the cleaner graphics and UX whenever someone posts a screenshot, but I'm not sure I could go back to not having districts.

------------------

-What the hell is the actual formula for Wall damage spitting? Nobody even drat well talks about it! I can see that the more damaged the wall, the more damage is applied to the city itself (proportionately? or just extra?), but I honestly have no real way of 'guessing' how well a brute-force siege will go until a few rounds of combat passes.
-Wiki states that ranged naval units don't suffer -17 strength when shooting cities, which jives with how effective frigates are, but I am 100% sure that my battleships once had this penalty in a normal game (I recall being surprised/annoyed about it, posted in this thread, then went and built a bunch of bombers). What's the difference/cutoff?
-The religious governor's "lay on hands" which fullheals units in a single turn, doesn't seem to work, or at least for naval units? Not even ones stationed in the city tile itself. Others on the net have said the same.

The wiki says

quote:

The presence of an outer defense also protects the HP of the city. While the walls are undamaged, no attack can harm the city itself (it will do 1 damage only). The strong protection holds until the walls' HP goes down to about 80% - the city will then suffer not more than 5-10 damage per attack. While they are "relatively" damaged (above 50% HP), attacks will get through and harm the city itself, but their force is still reduced. After the walls are "breached," and their HP falls below 20-30% of its original strength, the city starts taking real hits (that is, full damage).
No actual formula, unfortunately.

Maybe the battleship thing depends on whether or not there is a land unit inside the city center?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Help me, thread, my brain kind of stops working when encountering any sentence containing a number.
You know those world congress resolutions about "production is +100% for units of this type"- does that mean those units become more expensive (because their production cost is higher) or less expensive (because any production you put towards them gets doubled?) Similarly, that resolution about "player gains +100% grievances against other players but other players gain grievances less than towards player of 50% towards grievances to player of" or whatever it is. What's... what's happening there.
e: wait I remembered it wrong, it's production vs faith buyout vs gold buyout, but yeah, same issue

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 20, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Public Relations (the greviances one) is kinda weird, as it's a double-sided sword for both resolutions. +100% to/from a player is a way of punishing a warmonger who's trying to 1v7 the world, as he's obviously generating more than he's receiving, while -50% to/from a player makes them a target for conquest from all neighbours. Technically the +100% makes it so you don't want to hit that guy, and the -50% means that he can hit you just fine, but the way the AI votes that's never what's going on.

Mercenary Companies is strictly about the cost, so +100% makes it more expensive to produce, while -50% on the buyout makes them cheaper to instabuy. Arguably both could be good for the player, but the AI often dunks on production/military when someone's been warmongering too much.

Why these things are presented as opposites to each other... I don't know. World congress sucks so much in Civ6.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Serephina posted:

a double-sided sword

:laugh:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Oh hush, it means the same thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Serephina posted:

------------------

Do you mean the fandom wiki? If so then the problem is that it's a fandom wiki.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Serephina posted:

Why these things are presented as opposites to each other... I don't know. World congress sucks so much in Civ6.

The world congress's ability to interrupt whatever delicate thing I was in the middle of trying to enact (especially when I'm fighting a war) so that we all most vote on the amount of oranges produced by Brazil makes me want to throw my computer out the window.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The AIs do have a weird penchant for banning enjoyment of oranges. I wonder why that is.

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe
Now clearly you must see that oranges are just a gateway drug to hook you up on class a substances like incense or dyes, for references see civ5 world congress. Olives, just say no!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
They want your navy to get scurvy.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

So I'm abandoning this game of Civ because despite these cities being stupid awesome...

I'm on a continent where there's basically no oil or aluminium. Y''know, except in dumb gently caress places where I'd have to make a lovely, starving city just to harvest that resource.

The other civ on the continent with me is Poland and they have literally no army. So I could take them out super easy, but then I'd just have to wait until the death robots before considering marching over to the next continent. It's one of those games where you get halfway through and to see it out to the end is so tedious you can't be stuffed.

It makes me wish for a few things:
1) Simulated ending. Just so I can see the fun graphs at the end and know how it would've turned out (AKA: How much I would've won by)

2) Remote mining. Being able to mine a resource outside your territory. It prevents you from being crippled if you don't have access to a certain resource. Maybe it costs a trade route to ship those resources to\fro your cities. Maybe you need to defend it with units to prevent your mines being taken over. Either way, it's always shat me that you can sorta get hosed over by RNG of not having strategic resources in your territory.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I guess it's a matter of taste but those are my favourite kind of games. I love that sort of geopolitical challenge where I have to go conquer somewhere, settle a far off colony, or envoy the poo poo out of a city state just for the sake of getting strategics

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

H13 posted:

I'm on a continent where there's basically no oil or aluminium. Y''know, except in dumb gently caress places where I'd have to make a lovely, starving city just to harvest that resource.

Why is this a problem, though? Just make the lovely, starving city.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
You gotta get your liyang fisheries going. It's def worth moving her around to build them in your coastal cities. The extra housing alone is worth it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea starving cities are absolutely deliberate design, it's exactly why strategics are hidden, to cause you to have to move earth and sea to get ahold of them.

Having outposts would be cool too, but that's a very not-civ way of doing expansion. Works great for OTHER 4x games, like AoE Planetfall and such, but they've struck gold with districts and so they'd be mad to drop them in favour of the more radical evolutions.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I guess technically Warlock struck gold, but I'm sure there are earlier examples.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Serephina posted:

Having outposts would be cool too, but that's a very not-civ way of doing expansion. Works great for OTHER 4x games, like AoE Planetfall and such, but they've struck gold with districts and so they'd be mad to drop them in favour of the more radical evolutions.

Workers could build a colony outside of your territory to get a resource in Civ 3. Had to defend it with a unit and also link it to city by road.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
civ 3 also had proper armies, single "units" made up of individual units. would've been a cool middleground between bottomless deathstacks and 1upt

civ 3 deserved better reception than it got

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

H13 posted:

I quite like that problem, but then I prefer the rp side of things. Half my family comes from Broken Hill, a city dropped in the middle of a desert to access rich silver deposits. You get these fascinating logistics problems and weird cultural quirks when you build settlements like that.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 16, 2024

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

IMO they should lean into the "build everything directly on the map" idea a bit more and subdivide hexes to be twice as many; you'd still have to build districts to build their buildings, but the district itself would take one hex and then the buildings as part of it would be required to be adjacent. Keep adjacency bonuses but turn it into distance-based rather than direct adjacency (so e.g. you could get +2 for being directly adjacent or +1 for being 1 away - and this could be upgraded with techs or civics). And increase the city population accordingly. The workable radius could also be tied to tech level, get an extra hex of range with railroads and another with oil/engines. On the other hand I'm not sure I trust them to make a game with 4 times the number of tiles and not have it be a laggy mess.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i really like how old world uses population as a way to enhance improvements rather than the way to work them. really lets you scour the earth with your builders

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i really like how old world uses population as a way to enhance improvements rather than the way to work them. really lets you scour the earth with your builders

Old World has really made it harder for me to enjoy Civ. There is just so much that it does that makes playing more fun and I miss when I open Civ again. Units move so… painfully… slow in Civ. But I like the scope of Civ. I hope in the next Civ they steal a ton from OW.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I hope the next Civ steals a ton from every other civ-like.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

harrygomm posted:

i wanted to play a canada game but i just rolled maybe half a dozen games where i started in the desert with no tundra within 10 tiles in any direction. i finally got one with tundra but it was still half desert and the only tile with yields on it i could settle within 3 turns was a fur with 1 food 1 gold. is there some kind of game setting i can use so that he is required to spawn with tundra nearby? like his affinity to settle near it is, if wikis are to be believed, one of only 5 civs to have max affinity. rerolling a dozen dozen times to get tundra that, god forbid, has any trees doesn't sound like a good time
If you click on advanced game settings when you create the game you can set the world to cold, which is more tundra/less desert. You can also put it to wet which will give more trees, including on tundra.

I think sometimes some map types just don't generate a bunch of what you need. I rolled several Inland Sea maps before I got Mali to spawn on a desert.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
For the first time in like 25 years, I finally beat a Civ game. Normally at some point (I always do marathon games) I kind of lose interest, or stop playing for a few weeks, and then quit that game and start a new game years later. This time I played every evening and then I finally got a cultural victory, but it kind of came out of nowhere. Was it because I had the highest culture score at the last turn (turn 1000??) or did I reach a cultural threshold?

I really wonder how you are supposed to get a science victory then, I mean, which prevails? Science score or culture score? I never really focused my production, policies and buildings on any particular victory, so maybe I should focus on science next time and not bother with cultural stuff like shrines and theatres.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Assuming you’re playing 6, culture victories are when you have the most tourism over a certain threshold. That threshold changes depending on the influence of other civs, because they also are taking in your tourists. Getting high culture is important because it unlocks cards and buildings that have the opportunity to get you more tourists, and generally you don’t start really earning them until halfway into the game, but once you start steamrolling it gets exponential. Generally you want open borders and trade routes with everyone because that makes receiving tourists easier. When I first started winning games I would play into later eras and accidentally win culture victories while I was aiming at science because my civs would become dominant and I’d be trading a lot and making friends. Part of the reason a score victory is so hard/rare is because by the end of the game your civ is probably covering half the map and naturally has a ton of influence.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Sioux posted:

For the first time in like 25 years, I finally beat a Civ game. Normally at some point (I always do marathon games) I kind of lose interest, or stop playing for a few weeks, and then quit that game and start a new game years later. This time I played every evening and then I finally got a cultural victory, but it kind of came out of nowhere. Was it because I had the highest culture score at the last turn (turn 1000??) or did I reach a cultural threshold?

I really wonder how you are supposed to get a science victory then, I mean, which prevails? Science score or culture score? I never really focused my production, policies and buildings on any particular victory, so maybe I should focus on science next time and not bother with cultural stuff like shrines and theatres.

The way culture victory works in civ 6 is super weird. Here's the simple version:

You've got two relevant ratings at the top of your screen: culture-per-turn and tourism-per-turn. Culture, in addition to unlocking civics, is defense against culture victory, and tourism is offence. Culture, through some esoteric formula, generates "domestic tourists." Tourism, through an even more esoteric formula that involves, I think, comparing your tourism to the culture and/or tourism of each other civ, generates foreign tourists. You win a victory if the number of foreign tourists visiting your civ is greater than the number of domestic tourists that any other civ has individually. This means that if only one civ goes heavy into culture, they win easily, but if two civs do, they essentially block one another from winning, because they both have to get a lot more foreign tourists to compete against one another's large number of domestic tourists.

Notice that getting to the end of the civic track isn't important at all - except for the fact that most things that generate tourism also generate culture, so you'll just kinda do it naturally, and there are a few endgame policy cards and other things that can help generate more tourism (most notably, the Rock Band unit, which generates huge bursts of tourism, and costs faith).

If you have a lot of great works, especially if you also have some relics and/or (if you're playing with the Monopolies & Corporations mode) products, you'll be generating lots of tourism. A lot of people report winning culture victories accidentally like that if they are playing with Monopolies & Corporations and they have a monopoly on a luxury, which can boost overall tourism to a huge level with the monopoly bonus. If you're not playing with M&C, then you probably just have a lot of great works, and the other civs are all slacking in their culture generation. The AI tends to prioritize science over culture, and isn't smart enough to pivot their strategy when they notice that, say, they're at risk of getting culturally dominated. So it's possible that you were the only one who bothered to build theater squares, and you got all the writers and artists, and they just sucked :shrug:

Science victory, on the other hand, is simply a race. You research up to the top of the tech tree, build a spaceport, and launch various projects (satellite, moon landing, mars colony, exoplanet expedition, optional: laser stations to push your exoplanet expedition faster). There is no relevant player interaction except via war or spycraft. I find that at higher difficulties, science victory often goes a bit faster than culture victory, since everyone has a lot more "defense" in the form of culture rating to slow that down.

A marathon game is 1500 turns max; do you remember what turn you were on, or what age you were in, or what techs and civics you had gotten recently? Also, what difficulty were you playing on, and what civ/leader were you?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

DontMockMySmock posted:

The way culture victory works in civ 6 is super weird. Here's the simple version:

You've got two relevant ratings at the top of your screen: culture-per-turn and tourism-per-turn. Culture, in addition to unlocking civics, is defense against culture victory, and tourism is offence. Culture, through some esoteric formula, generates "domestic tourists." Tourism, through an even more esoteric formula that involves, I think, comparing your tourism to the culture and/or tourism of each other civ, generates foreign tourists. You win a victory if the number of foreign tourists visiting your civ is greater than the number of domestic tourists that any other civ has individually. This means that if only one civ goes heavy into culture, they win easily, but if two civs do, they essentially block one another from winning, because they both have to get a lot more foreign tourists to compete against one another's large number of domestic tourists.

The formulas aren't really esoteric, the game just doesn't tell you what they are. You get a domestic tourist for every 250 culture produced, including from getting a boost to a civic. Getting a tourist from a civilization (i.e. turning one of their domestic tourists into your foreign tourist) requires 200* culture per civilization in the game (at game start, I believe?). It's actually a fairly simple system, just... I'd say very poorly explained, but honestly it just isn't explained.

*in R&F and GS, int he base game it's 150

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Awe bless, you can get SMAC on Steam for a couple of bucks now. Wish they'd put a mod on to let you randomly pick any 7 factions but exclude the silly aliems

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

In the off chance that anyone got the switch version, they have the Leader Pass now as a free download. (Apologies if this was mentioned before.)

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Thanks for the expanation about the Culture Victory. Yeah it was probably the Theatre squares and some relics and great works then. I also had open border with some other civs that may have helped. The weird thing is: somewhere halfway I annihilated Persia since it was up in my poo poo. Most other civs (this was one of the huge worlds) instantly hated me. I had a few alliances and friends at that point, that didn't seem to mind at all, but once the alliance or friend agreement was up for an extension, they would also start hating me. I had no real access to any agreements after that and I felt pretty locked out because there was no way I could build up that relation even after hundreds of years, since it tanked pretty hard. It also made me feel vulnerable, but turns out only one civ chose to declare war on me and then I took half their cities and their capital. Other than that I only fought barbarians in this game. I thought waging war on one civ would at least net me /some/ friends (their enemies), but unfortunately it didn't. If this is the case for all games, then dominating other civs wil

Anyone ever co-opped this game? Theoretically it's PvE /and/ PvP, of course, but if you're in a voice chat with the other player I'm sure you could be allies and bully all other civs while creating really cool and cooperative civ's with the other player, with open borders, a lot of trade etc. I wonder though how boring it would be to wait through the other players turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Been playing a bunch of two player coop, hotseat through Remote Play. It works perfectly fine, and you completely cut out any desyncs or other online gaming issues.

It's when one (or both!) players get into hellwars, and the one minute turns become 10-15 minutes of unending unit shuffling that it gets a bit intolerable. And it's not like the AI will ever defeat you in combat, so the game feels a foregone conclusion once cities starts falling. Which is fine when you're blitzing through on your own, but adding more players does make it harder to stomach. Think ~10 turns knocked out per evening when it gets intense.