Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

halwain
May 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't think anybody's actually played a mobile civ esque game, because they don't actually look like that in game.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Play now my lord *Catherine looks at u seductively*

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I don't think anybody's actually played a mobile civ esque game, because they don't actually look like that in game.
Its a new kind of 4x where you shake the accelerometer to spur research and your FitBit™ linked pulserate is your production. Happiness is a measure of friend accounts linked per day and you broker favorable trade terms by retweeting the official @MobiCiv6 account.

Combat is settled by scanning QR codes on General Mills cereal or just waiting out the 18 hours for your Pikeman's energy to replenish.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I think I've said it before but they already tried a facebook Civ spinoff and it was a huge flop. Why would they risk trying it again with a main series title?

Plus Civ Rev has a mobile port and it's a hot buggy mess because they gave it to 2K China or something. It's also a 2D game, because I'm pretty sure running a game like Civ at the graphical fidelity of V OR VI is beyond any phone currently on the market. As someone that actually enjoyed Civ Rev, it's a real letdown that the mobile port is so dang buggy. Ranging from instability, AI being unable to play the game properly, to stuff like multiplayer being separate DLC... it's just not pretty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For Native American civs, I think the Seminole would be easy enough to work with assuming the tribal council says yes, and Osceola is a natural fit for their leader.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I, too, hate bright colors and easy-to-read graphics

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'd like the Minoans as an alternative to Greece for a change too, and Sumeria under Puabi rather than Gilgamesh, who might not even have been a real dude.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao at civ5 players bitching that civ6 will be the one for worthless casuals

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
"1 unit per tile makes everything more tactical! im too incompetent to handle more than 4 cities, i should be able to complete with anyone who expands beyond that!"

*puts 3 archers on a chokepoint, watches as the ai slam entire army into it, pats self on back for being a strategic genius*

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

I'd like the Minoans as an alternative to Greece for a change too, and Sumeria under Puabi rather than Gilgamesh, who might not even have been a real dude.

If being real is a requirement to be a civ leader, there'sa few people who'll be disqualified.

Phobophilia posted:

"1 unit per tile makes everything more tactical! im too incompetent to handle more than 4 cities, i should be able to complete with anyone who expands beyond that!"

*puts 3 archers on a chokepoint, watches as the ai slam entire army into it, pats self on back for being a strategic genius*

I'll admit this is me.

(1UPT is great with people though)

Jump King fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 17, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phobophilia posted:

How did you get access to my top secret war documents

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My beef with Civ4's cities wasn't that it was hard to manage large numbers of cities, just that it was a pain in the rear end to do so. Rather than make having large empires an actively bad idea in Civ5, I would rather have had a governor I could trust to make reasonable decisions after some basic configuration.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah I feel like 1UPT didn't get a fair shake because the AI sucks at using it and multiplayer wasn't so hot until many patches in.

Firaxis should see if the google dude who made that GO-playing AI is interested in doing some contract work. Apparently before he was picked up by google he did do AI for video games, so it's not a totally far-fetched idea!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Getting AI to do a Good Job at civ would be very very difficult.

Couldn't hurt to try though.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would rather have had a governor I could trust to make reasonable decisions after some basic configuration.

You know what would be an elegant/cute cheat? When you set your Governor's settings, have the AI copy it for their cities. After all, if it's good enough for the human, the AI can use it too!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Getting AI to do a Good Job at civ would be very very difficult.

Couldn't hurt to try though.

If they start now they could have something ready by the time Civ VII is ready to release!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Immortan Joe for the Australia leader

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

You know what would be an elegant/cute cheat? When you set your Governor's settings, have the AI copy it for their cities. After all, if it's good enough for the human, the AI can use it too!

It really feels like you ought to just be able to say "keep the people from revolting, otherwise build science buildings first, then buildings that give hammers, then buildings that give gold" and the governor would almost always do the right thing. I don't feel like choosing which building to build is a hard decision, in other words...so why are AI cities always so lovely?

I guess part of it is the awful, awful worker automation, which keeps AI cities from having the hammers to actually build things. But again, it's not like human players are applying especially complicated logic there -- it's basically "okay, throw down farms everywhere you can, and mines on hills with no freshwater". But you routinely see Civ5 cities in the modern era that are primarily working unimproved tiles! It's not like the AI lacks for workers, so what the hell are they doing?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I would really, really like to see the Rus in as a civ to shake up or compliment the typical Stalin/Catherine/Peter modern Russia roster. Could have it be led by Rurik or Vladimir the Great or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DrPop posted:

I would really, really like to see the Rus in as a civ to shake up or compliment the typical Stalin/Catherine/Peter modern Russia roster. Could have it be led by Rurik or Vladimir the Great or something.

Well, Firaxis said about BNW that they prioritize iconic or prominent female leaders when they can because there's so few of them throughout history and a great many civilizations don't have any at all. They specifically cited Wu Zetian as an example who's unlikely to go away - she's popular enough with the modern-day civilization she represents, is a rare female leader for east Asia, and earned the game's billing from history.

So I'd be surprised if Catherine goes away anytime soon.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I will sign any petition and retweet any hashtag to replace the US leader in Civ6 with Harriet Tubman.

And Kim Cambell can lead the Canadian civ.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's settled, Kim Campbell for Canada's leader.

E:F,B

EE: Hatsheput was in Civ IV so that's very possible

VVVVVV

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 17, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I wonder if they'll go for Hatshepsut over Ramses- she's not as big/famous, but she is a well-regarded ruler. You could still keep a wonder-building bonus/personality for her and it'd still be accurate.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'd love the ability to choose between three different leaders, each with their own unique ability. For example, France could be Charlemagne, Napoleon, and De Gaulle. (Isn't that how it went in Civ 4? 1300 hours of Civ 5 have erased 4 from my memory).

But I'd also love a game mode where you can assign any leader to any civ regardless of affiliation. Charlemagne leading the Americans to victory!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Managing 1upt carpets of doom was always a much more enormous pain in the dick than just shift clicking stacks of units around, plus the different unit qualities in IV made stack management more tactical anyway. I feel like a lot of people came in when Civ V launched cause Steam sales and whatnot and just heard tales of the horrible micromanagement hell of doom stacks, which has never really been the case. The AI could even actually fight you! And yes, I do have Soren's dick lodged squarely in mouth.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

I'd love the ability to choose between three different leaders, each with their own unique ability. For example, France could be Charlemagne, Napoleon, and De Gaulle. (Isn't that how it went in Civ 4? 1300 hours of Civ 5 have erased 4 from my memory).

But I'd also love a game mode where you can assign any leader to any civ regardless of affiliation. Charlemagne leading the Americans to victory!
It was, but the move to fully animated leader portraits made that not worth doing for 5, and I assume 6. Why go to the trouble of making a new leader when you could do a bit more work and get a whole new nation added?
We also got actual customized leader/civ bonuses in V as well, which I think added a lot.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Cythereal posted:

Well, Firaxis said about BNW that they prioritize iconic or prominent female leaders when they can because there's so few of them throughout history and a great many civilizations don't have any at all. They specifically cited Wu Zetian as an example who's unlikely to go away - she's popular enough with the modern-day civilization she represents, is a rare female leader for east Asia, and earned the game's billing from history.

So I'd be surprised if Catherine goes away anytime soon.

Queen Seondeok for Korea would be cool especially since she has the raddest crown

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

sarmhan posted:

It was, but the move to fully animated leader portraits made that not worth doing for 5, and I assume 6. Why go to the trouble of making a new leader when you could do a bit more work and get a whole new nation added?
We also got actual customized leader/civ bonuses in V as well, which I think added a lot.

Ha, my computer's so lovely it doesn't animate the portraits anyway, so I kind of forgot that was even a thing.

I was thinking separate the leader / civ bonuses: keep the UU and UBs for the civs, give the civ a unique bonus, then give each leader a unique game effect that they could take with them when they lead a new civ.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Phobophilia posted:

lmao at civ5 players bitching that civ6 will be the one for worthless casuals

The cycle continues, wait for Civ 6 Professionals wailing about Civ 7.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I knocked up a quick comparison graphic. Presented for the haters' consideration:

I provide no further comment :colbert:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I see the problem. The Roman numeral isn't under the game's name anymore. FFFUUUUUUU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Fuligin posted:

Managing 1upt carpets of doom was always a much more enormous pain in the dick than just shift clicking stacks of units around, plus the different unit qualities in IV made stack management more tactical anyway. I feel like a lot of people came in when Civ V launched cause Steam sales and whatnot and just heard tales of the horrible micromanagement hell of doom stacks, which has never really been the case. The AI could even actually fight you! And yes, I do have Soren's dick lodged squarely in mouth.

I'll take 'pain in the dick' over 'completely unengaging warfare' any day.

I'd rather an intuitive solution to 1UPT than a return to garbage stacks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like 1UPT and hope it stays.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Apparently we're getting an original score this time, although I did really like the compositions for some of the factions in Civ 5.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I miss the Civ 4 feature of "any leader/any civ" and hope Civ 6 brings that back.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

there's nothing that'll make me miss giant roving stacks of trebuchets and pikes

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

sarmhan posted:

Apparently we're getting an original score this time, although I did really like the compositions for some of the factions in Civ 5.

gently caress, someone please send the message to make it all instrumental tracks this time. I know every single intonation from the vocals that one Arabic language song in Civ5, its annoying to hear it for hours at a time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think 1UPT in Civ V was a flawed implementation of a superior system. Which makes sense, since it's the first game in the series with that system. Point being, I'd rather see them try to improve their new mechanics rather than just drop anything that didn't work perfectly.

shadow puppet of a posted:

gently caress, someone please send the message to make it all instrumental tracks this time. I know every single intonation from the vocals that one Arabic language song in Civ5, its annoying to hear it for hours at a time.

On the other hand, this is my favourite ingame track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO5SpavZxeM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I believe it was already mentioned, but it's important to remember that they made Civ 5 with the idea in mind that Civ 4 was the final evolution of the core game that was started in Civ 1/2. A lot of bold decisions were made with this in mind- they wanted to make something different.
Civ 6 is looking like a similar evolution of Civ 5- hence they aren't throwing out any systems, but rather working from the position of "what sucked, and how can we make it better", which everything they've talked about supports. The changes to 1UPT help reduce the real-estate problems that the late game suffered from in 5, the changes to technologies help fix the always-present optimization problem, and the changes to cities help differentiate cities from each other based on their surroundings. It also sounds like wonders are being redone with the idea that you shouldn't be getting a dozen wonders in a single city.