Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Already preordered the deluxe edition. Take me Ed Beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

i played some civ clones in the 90s and all the total war shoguns and alpha centauri am i gonna be ok

This games a bit more obscure but I think you'll figure it out.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

I think the idea of city states is nonsense, you have small-time civs to fight around/push around: they are civs that got bottled up, have less land than others, but still follow similar rules as other civs. Heck, just give some rubber band mechanics to the AI so they keep pace with the civs running ahead of the pack, so they can have some disproportionate influence on the world without being instantly eaten up.

But having people not desiring to win fleshes out the world a bit and makes it feel more...I dont know, I don't want to say real because civ is at its heart a board game and is not trying to be real, but it does inject some politics into the game you couldn't get with just pushing around the 8th places person.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Right but the only way to enforce the existence of city-states (rather than them all being instantly conquered by the first real civ that finds them) is the jarringly gamey mechanic of making everyone else in the entire world permanently ripshit pissed off at anyone that conquers a city-state.

Eh I disagree. Paradox games handle OPMs all the time. You just have to give them mechanics to even the score, and more importantly, give the player a reason to keep them around (e.g. the bonuses you get from high relations)

Lurker God posted:

Have they confirmed whether or not leaders will speak in their native language like 5?

Teddy Roosevelt talks in the canned gameplay footage, so I'd hope so. It seems like something they can't step backwards on now that they've done it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

voiced leaderheads were a mistake, because now every single new leader needs high def art assets and VA studio time, which means they're a magnitude more expensive, and you can't do creative things with them like interchangable leaders for civs

also they loving chug when you fire up the diplo screen. i dont give a gently caress about what they look like or say, i just want to compare what they have on the table

Actually they're Cool and Good, sorry.

It's not that you can't do anything creative like multiple leaders, they just made the conscious choice to not do that, because players would feel like they got ripped off if they just got a "rehash" of an older civ. I certainly wouldn't mind, but a large chunk of the player base would.

I don't find them particularly resource intensive, maybe upgrade your computer.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Aerdan posted:

I'm of the opinion that they decided against multiple leaders because the UA system really doesn't allow for it. Washington and Teddy Roosevelt, while they lived in very different times, were both kinda isolationist, for instance. Then, too, many civilizations just don't have a second iconic leader that would be distinct enough to qualify for their own UAs. So, rather than waste time trying to figure out how to make it work, they decided to pick just one.

(More than that, their preference for iconic female leaders generally means they skipped over an iconic male leader or two, so having multiple leaders would just skew the leader pool further into the masculine.)

To the contrary, I think the UA system would have aided multiple leaders well. You keep the UB and UUs (as those define the country), but give them a new UA(which usually defines the leader).

However, I can definitely see releasing, say, a Lincoln DLC leading people to ask "Why wasn't this just a new civ?".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

you end up not doing that because if it costs this much budget to make a hi def leaderhead and voice acting, there's no point attaching that leader to an old civ, you may as well make an entirely new civ and nail another bullet point to the box blurb

which is why i think civ5 leaderheads are a terrible investment and a colossal waste of effort

You're assuming a whole lot. I'm sure they cost more than Civ 4's much simpler leader models but you have no real way of knowing what their budget was, or if they'd even have gone in the direction of multiple leaders per civ under different circumstances.

We got 43 civs over the course of the game, I hardly feel we were deprived.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Aerdan posted:

...Come up with 43 alternate leaders, one per Civ5 civilization, then, and UAs for each. You can't use fictional leaders, you can't pull leaders from other civilizations unless they're part of the conglomerate (so no non-British Celtic leaders, for instance), and you certainly can't use prominent people who weren't widely-recognized champions of a national identity for the civilization.

(...am I missing anything that would bar an existing leader, aside from e.g. Dido?)

Civ 4 literally did this though, just with traits. Some civs had 3!

Yes, UAs took a little more work than interchangeable traits, but it could be done.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Jastiger posted:

All the CIv 4 chat makes me wish my DVD drive worked so I could reinstall it. So tempting.

There's always the upcoming steam sale!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Jastiger posted:

yeah it just causes me to take 4d8 damage if I buy a game online that I already own on CD, ya know? Its why I don't have Age of Empires or Baldurs Gate updated versions.

Don't be a wuss, make the will save.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Jastiger posted:

It's clear they had a different designer for the first civ 5, and I can't say I agree with their philosophy.

Yeah I'm actually really excited because Jon Shafer was the director of 5 vanilla but then they brought on Ed Beach for the expansions. Nothing against Shafer but I'm a huge fan of Beach's work on board games and I think the fact that he's getting to design the vanilla civ 6 from scratch rather than build on a broken frame of his predecessor will be a huge positive.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

turboraton posted:

Do Goons play Virgin Queen?

I have it and Here I Stand, love em both.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Reminder than you could create the Internet without computers.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

MrChupon posted:

I feel like hammers are convertible to religion in the form of religious buildings and wonders?

Religious buildings are bought with faith so you have to weigh if the gain of faith per turn outweighs the cost.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

All I want is a different mechanic than the missionaries. Spies were made a menu option specifically because they acknowledged spies as a unit in civ 4 were tedious, so why do missionaries exist with the exact same problem?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Byzantine posted:

IIRC, the AI doesn't get any free missionaries. They can just easily go wide and take Piety without being hampered, which grants lots of faith and cheap missionaries.

They also have the benefit of not getting exhausted at playing the missionary game unlike a human.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Jastiger posted:

I laid out my position on religion earlier but I really want to reiterate, I think they missed a key thing when they didnt' give religion any NEGATIVE connotations. It should be useful early on and become almost problematic later on. That'd really change the dynamic I think. Sure your Holy Warriors are loving everyone up, but its 2012 and now no one wants to be your friend and its seriously hurting your happiness and science.

Not every religion is anti-science and you're really showing your biases with stuff like this.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

First, civ isn't realistic, so focusing on realism vs. Fun is really missing the point. Your idea punishes people for using a major game mechanic. That's a terrible idea.

Second, I feel I should point out many religions led to huge scientific advancement, the most obvious being golden age of Islam but also hinduism, Buddhism and confucianism.

Seriously knock off this "stupid sky wizard believers " crap.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ProZocK posted:

About this religion talk, didnt CIV4 make religious building stop generating beakers after a certain age had been reached? I always though that was an elegant way of dealing with the whole thing.

The whole obsolete mechanic existed for a few things in civ 4 and it really wasn't great because it punished building certain things, but not others.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I also like the idea that districts mean one has to be more tactical in building a wall around your most precious districts instead of turtling in the city itself.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

God bless you.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

Sounds like England feels more "British" than "English". Why can't they just call it Britain? They don't want to preempt a Celtic civ?

The Japanese leader for this game predates Japan as a nation. You can't take their choices literally.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ICS is tedious and anti-fun but Sid Meier noted that once gamers figure out the optimum strategy they will continue to do it, even if they hate it. There's just no going back once you figure it out. So ICS is bad.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hogama posted:

The day/night cycle is purely cosmetic, and can be set to specific times if you'd like to play in full daylight or eternal twilight.

I believe they also said there'd be options to adjust the duration. Like it could be set to cycle through over a few turns or over the course of the entire game

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

if you change such a core rule in the game at this late a stage in development, you hosed up and your game is probably poo poo

Whoa settle down beavis.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

ok lets break it down. movement rules are incredibly basic to the game. you need to playtest the poo poo out of it from the get go. because i have faith in firaxis, should have done that. other aspects of the game must follow from this rule: ai, terrain generation, auto-road generation, combat worker costs. in other words, this is not something you change willy nilly. so saying it changed within a month, at this late stage of development, is a dumb thing to say

Civ is basically a board game and changes, often major ones, are made at the last minute all the time so I'm not sure where you get the idea that all devs know concretely how a game will play to the last detail in stage 1. Often it's impossible to figure out how these things work in practice until you can, bare minimum, play a rough beta of the concept. More playtesting leads to greater understanding of whst gameplay concepts don't quite work.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hogama posted:

A couple of new Eurekas can be seen, too.

I know they'd mentioned that wars would start getting more complex as the eras advanced but as far as I recall this is the first time an actual casus belli system has been explicitly referred to in game.

Naw they've talked about it before, vaguely. The idea, hopefully, is it curbs the AI being seemingly random about declaring wars but also help remove the "declare war once everyone hates you forever" of civ 5 by letting the player at least try and explain what they're doing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

sarmhan posted:

Considering that the industry standard is "pre-order or you have to pay for it later", this seems pretty reasonable.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it was a compromise with the publisher.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

They stopped doing new individual civs after the expansion came out, I assume the problem being you couldn't make use of expansion mechanics without complicating the buying process for people who skipped the expansion. I imagine they're going in with that foresight this time, but the collectors edition says it does give some of the early dlc for "free" a la a season pass.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I assume what he's saying is antiquity spots would pop up in places where a battle didn't occur but I think that was intentional.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

They seem like caps on tourism and population? Like you can only host as many tourists and people as you have places to put them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Rexides posted:

It's great that the district system is promoting city specialization (or so it seems to me). I wish that in Civ 7 they will just get rid of buildings "inside" a city (basically a list of things that are bunched together in a tile), and move more to dynamic districts that evolve over time.

That seems to be what they're going for though. All the old buildings are now built in districts, even wonders need to be plopped down on tiles.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Catherine de Medici was one of the more out there ones so it looks like reddit's guesswork has paid off.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

Single player Civ is for narrative carebearing. Multiplayer Civ is for destroying your enemies and hearing the Lamentations of their women.

Also, gently caress, CK2 had like 1 DLC when I got it. Do I really need to blow another hundred bucks to have fun with it?

Naw. The vanilla game is totally playable and you can buy the dlc that interests you. Most of it is portrait and music packs anyway.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

echinopsis posted:

Art deco is objectively the WORST

And I am sad about the hex grid. Who else enjoys less options
Hexes are superior my friend. With squares you have to do some weird 1-2-1 poo poo on the diagonals because otherwise it's the superior movement option, effectively giving less choice.

Hexes are the one thing civ 5 does objectively better.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

When foreigners think of England/London, Big Ben is probably the first image that pops in their mind 95% of the time. A wonder doesn't necessarily need to be technically impressive, just iconic.

The USA has a ton of impressive pieces of architecture but the statue of liberty gets in because it's so instantly recognizable.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

That's some hyperbole but the point he's trying to make is you just need some ranged units so weaken the city then a melee unit to just waltz in.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Russia should be able to do stuff with snow tiles i mean one of the major reasons they were so difficult to invade is that the place is drat near impossible to march on in the winter.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

I don't want an Inuit civ just so somebody could live on snow; I don't think anyone was saying that. I want an Inuit civ because they're cool and have a unique cultural flavor.

I mean can't it be both? It's a weird thing to get hung up on the "why".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Unless there's been so major retooling in how religion is spread that sounds loving miserable.