Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I know it was like this in other games but do scouts still get a bonus for looting villages in 6? e.g. more likely to get population/builder vs. other rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Serephina posted:

Honestly the idea of a fixed-seed casual competition seems appealing to me, it's a cheap and easy way of doing interesting starts with communal strategy talks without something as full-on as the scenarios. They way they've gone about it however, from the weird patching bugs (which other steam users had) to shoving an ingame banner ad on the menu to the cherry of top of the scenario being actually awful; it's a disaster.

The Steam page's announcement has a ton of negativity in the comments, but not about the feature itself. Anyone got the scoop on what toxic gamer bullshit that's all about?

I haven't been on CFC in over a decade (is it still around even?) but they used to do a game of the month going back to at least civ3 times, and it was pretty much the same thing - here's a set seed (I think they just passed around a starting save file), and a goal, who can do it best.

I'd be down for something like that.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

If I can survive long enough to get this city rolling, it's gonna be rolling.

e: Now that I've explored more I think this is even better.

e2: And I think I can have the capital steal a tile for an entertainment complex next to the theater square, giving it +6.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 25, 2023

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Let me expand on this bad opinion and make it worse:

The citizens should work whatever tiles they want and if you force them to work other tiles it should cause unhappiness

Would make tile appeal more interesting at least.

e: Had two different surprise wars declared on me within 3 turns, and I haven't even researched industrial districts yet. Oh well.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 25, 2023

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I could swear I'd won on emperor before, but anyway.

Stole a diplomacy victory a few turns before england finished space victory. Ironically, I got the last point from winning the international space station competition (and just barely, was in 2nd place until the last 3 turns). Was also fighting against losing 2 victory points every world conference (despite getting ridiculous amounts of diplo favor, you can't really go up against 40 votes against you), which was also 2 turns away from happening.

(Both of these screenshots from the turn after.)

I was playing an almost purely economic game, never caught up in science or culture (thankfully there were always 2-3 civs fighting for tourists so no one started to run away with that). Only had 4 cities until the industrial era, when I grabbed this ocean city.

68 production, 325 gpt from a city with one land tile. It had a second one but it sank into the sea before I could get flood barriers researched (which just meant room for another fishery, but I wish I could've had an industrial district).

Only got into one real war, with Monty near the end after he nuked england and the entire world teamed up against him. He had robots and my best unit at the time was an ironclad, but I was able to get up to parity and, after a few turns, ahead, just through pure spending.

I came out of that war with his capital and his adjacent cities starting to flip (he was in a dark age; I had golden age in the final era). (Also had an earlier war where I helped free a city-state that he captured.)

Forgot to screenshot my civics but at the end I was getting 100+ of each yield (except faith) from policy cards; around 800 for gold. The game is just too easy, even with unfair AI, when you can buy multiple bombers per turn.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think one of the big changes I'd like to see is adding a settlement or outpost concept other games have introduced. Having something short of a city that claims territory and funnels resources back to the main city would make playing wide less fiddly in the late game when you have a lot of smaller cities to manage. Maybe something like the Humankind ability to merge cities as well.

I always thought it was silly to have to settle an entire city out in the middle of a snowy island just to get some oil. I think the best way to accomplish this without severely unbalancing the early/middle game is to add a new settler-type unit around when you get ocean embarkation, which acts as kind of a combined tile worker/trader - it would be able to set up on a tile but not be a permanent outpost, wouldn't add the tile itself to your empire but require an uninterrupted trade route back to one of your cities to deliver the resources. And it wouldn't have any of the defense/garrison capability of a city (unless you used a military engineer to build a fort, that would actually be a neat extension and a way to actually use forts in a game which I've almost never done).

It could even have its own promotion tree, perhaps with mutually exclusive choices that buff defense, resource extraction rate, or even extraction area (so you could get 2-3 resource tiles that are adjacent or near-adjacent).

A version that does offshore resource extraction would also go well with this system.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

IMO they should lean into the "build everything directly on the map" idea a bit more and subdivide hexes to be twice as many; you'd still have to build districts to build their buildings, but the district itself would take one hex and then the buildings as part of it would be required to be adjacent. Keep adjacency bonuses but turn it into distance-based rather than direct adjacency (so e.g. you could get +2 for being directly adjacent or +1 for being 1 away - and this could be upgraded with techs or civics). And increase the city population accordingly. The workable radius could also be tied to tech level, get an extra hex of range with railroads and another with oil/engines. On the other hand I'm not sure I trust them to make a game with 4 times the number of tiles and not have it be a laggy mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The really early game on marathon is just too slow to be interesting at all, and I often find myself just rerolling marathon games until I get a start with at least one good production tile just so it doesn't take 47 turns to get a scout out.