Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baba Yetu is the only proper Civ menu music. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Maybe this time glorious Yugoslavia will get the recognition it deserves.
I thought it did every game. :smug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Monty needs his bff Shaka though. They're the dynamic duo of Civilization. And by dynamic I of course mean aggressive. It will likely be an interesting if you start sandwiched between them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

You're correct in that they originally went for The Pueblo, but I wouldn't describe them as well known. At least not compared to classics like The Sioux
I've always thought the Apache and Comanche were among the most well known because they were frequent in Lucky Luke if my memory is correct. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't forget to make trade deals suggest money instead of junk like horses and open borders by default. Everyone wants money. If I wanted someone else I would ask for that specifically. Having it default to crap just wastes everybody's time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's wrong with a pentagon or even a decent heptagon instead?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Think about how cool it would be in a multiplayer game to be able to build a dam and cut off the river bonuses to an opposing city
More fun if their city is just one tile upstream. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, honestly tactical combat and logistics in and of itself are just not things I desire in a civ game.

War should be a reflection of the other parts of the game, a reward for skilled diplomacy, building the right things, and preparation, not shuffling units around optimally. There are plenty of very good wargames out there.
War in civ is just building lots of ranged and enough melee to take the cities and protect the units actually doing something if necessary. I only play at emperor but there is certainly no diplomacy involved.

Having it be Total War Civ, while interesting, would not be a fun civ however. I certainly agree with that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

Supply lines are never going to be in a Civ game except in the most abstract way. It's a semi-casual strategy game. In order for supply lines to be in the game, they would be the main focus of the game as they would be the most micromanaged feature.
What if you set them up as trade routes? Build them and send them from a city to a specific unit, for 30 turns and then you have to reselect that particular unit from the list. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

To make it spergy and annoying for no real benefit of course.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I want multiplayer that somehow isn't less stable than decade old real time games. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really hope great works will still be in in some way. The artwork, music and read quotes makes it very rewarding and more interesting.

GrandpaPants posted:

I can see it as a district building, like the barracks.
Exactly, but it's still nice to see them like that. :shobon:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol at teddy being robotnik.
Hahaha, now I can't unsee it. :roflolmao:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You know, I'm gonna miss the wonder screens from Civ V. They were an awful cop-out for the actual ending slides, but for individual wonders the combination of the painting, the music, and the narration could really create a sense of awe (At least, the first time you built them :v:)
Can anything top this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Ha2LHxiIA

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kalko posted:

One of the articles or Youtubes said the World Congress is one of the few things they dropped, which is a shame because I really liked that system.
Personally I won't miss it. While the idea is good it basically always just boils down to getting enough money to buy all city states so the AI doesn't ban every luxury.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Beamed posted:

That being said, I'm also rather excited for Shafer's "At the Gates" game coming out next year.
Yeah, it looks like it can be pretty fun.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I hope there won't be anything like the Liberalism tech in Civ4. Oh you are the tech leader? Here have a free tech.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Since the best religious picks include tithe and pagodas which boost money, happiness and culture you actually become better at science for being pious in Civ5. As long as you don't actually pick piety of course. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some of the good events were terrible too. +25% against archer units on ALL of your melee? For free? Completely randomly out of the blue? Hello game balance.

But let's not forget the terrible quests 4 had:

Build X amount of <something> before <very short time limit>.
Settle near the holy mountain, with no indication of where it is. Oh and if someone else borders it you fail but you won't be notified.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean America has existed for longer than Germany's modern incarnation.
I'll have you know Germany has over 4000 years of history. :pseudo:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It won't be included but I really want a list of the different civs and be able to toggle them between may appear and may not appear when setting up a game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think a good example of the way diplomacy works is to look at the world congress. There's a some resolutions to pass for world fairs and stuff like that, but the majority of the options are banning luxuries or embargoing other civs, so the world congress usually becomes a very negative function.
The AI absolutely loves to ban luxuries. All luxuries. Forever.

It doesn't help that the world congress is just about who buys the most city states and dictates everything. Really looking forward to seeing that changed in Civ6. Hopefully it'll be less Greece, Greece and Greece all the time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I approve of anime civilization. And so does Genghis Chan:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hopefully they'll have enough sense to have hotseat in from the start this time. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

make all civ leaders women
sell bottled tears as dlc
Turn all leaders into female versions of themselves? Sounds great to me.

Also I once watched an anime based on that. :v:

Hogama posted:

Long nose and hairline suggests Trajan, though I guess it could be a caricature of Julius, too.
Kinda looks like Julius from Asterix to me.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really hope they'll add some native american civs that aren't complete assholes that I want to genocide as soon as I meet them. loving Hiawatha, Pocatello and Pacal. Stop stealing all land and the constant settler and prophet diarrhea! :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Negrostrike posted:

The leaders are looking pretty ok so far, but Qin Shi Huang looks like someone straight from Constructor. It's pretty funny, actually.

Great, now I can't stop imagining a more suitable voice for him. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also they work in multiplayer that way.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

None of the bonuses so far has really made me feel excited at all. Maybe they'll seem better once I know the game more. :shrug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why are you guys not watching the various youtuber made per-release civ6 videos right now?

Marbozir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtCxBWzNJUw
Quill18: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_2uYOguayE

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

How does social media come before universal suffrage though
It comes just before universal suffering at least.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Now, now. Do not disparage the noble hexagon. A hex grid allows for easier computation of distances when traveling at an angle other than 45 or 90.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Stack fighting was just finding the enemy stack and hitting it first with a lot of siege weapons and then using the rest to mop up the remains. If the enemy hit your stack first you lost. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It doesn't help that units will cancel their 10-20 turn movement because something temporarily ended up in the hex you told them to move to.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Scythia looks like a fun civ to play as. :toot:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DarthJeebus posted:

I believe Call to Power 2 did something similar to this as well.
Yep. You could stack up to 12 units on a tile and when you attacked it would bring up a small window with all the troops visible fighting with melee in front, ranged behind, flanking units on the sides etc. If I remember correctly units would only focus on the front row whatever that was so your archers would be safe from damage until your melee died.

Siege units could bombard the tile next to them damaging and even destroying units. The more siege you had the more damage obviously but you needed regular units to protect them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I guess Pokrovka is the Scythian capital? I doubt that's how it was called at the time
4000 years of culture!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The ancient Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing.

Magil Zeal posted:

For the record this is the box art for V: BNW in Poland

That's kinda eye-rollingly sad. I assume China got their own boxart too, but who else did?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eiba posted:

There's not one set list anymore. Your capital is always the same, but the rest of your cities are random.

But yeah, I'd imagine each leader would have an appropriate capital. Particularly since we've got an Athenian leader and a Spartan leader.
That'd be a tough choice. Do I play as a queen of Sparta or as an old guy in a toga who talked a lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

One day I'll hope they'll add some diplomatic punishment for city states given how fickle they are at abandoning allies for another civ. I don't want them to get it on with nobody else but me. :argh: