Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I don't mind the stacking of support units with military units, but I hate the idea of the corps. It's going to be just like the stupid doom stacks of old civ games except you need a separate one for each unit type - it completely undermines the tactical aspect of the game when you're only moving two or three units around. The single unit system in civ5 revolutionised the game and made conquest fun for the first time in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I would be astounded if a significant percentage of the playerbase ever played civ multiplayer though. Multiplayer civ is horrible - it always becomes a rush to see who can fart out units as quickly as possible and win by conquest as quickly as possible - usually by the end of the classical era. It completely warps the game.

And as for single player, the answer is to make the AI better. Marching a couple of doom stacks around the map is an incredibly boring experience.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

basically, in civ5, overprioritising production is a trap, population is king. pop = science, and your tradition capital is the single most efficient conversion of pop and happiness to science

pretty much only my capital will approach size 36+, and that's around the time i launch the spaceship. it takes way too long for a civ5 city to reach its cap

also, most GP tile improvements are a trap

And this is why the Huns are the best civ in the game. They can get strong production from working the same tiles that give them the most food, allowing them to snowball forward with wonders, and science buildings while still maintaining a strong population growth. The map generator loves to cluster pasture resources too - you can find spots within range of 4 -6 very easily, and my record for most pastures within working range of a city is around 10.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

So far I think I want to play my first game as America just for their music. I've caught myself humming Sogno di Volare quite a few times, I think it's great. The soundtrack to this game is really going to be worthwhile.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 14, 2016

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I still think baba yetu should have been one of the great works of music in civ V.

They speak Swahili in Kongo right? They should make it the Kongo theme.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i don't think he's being racist, he just had a standard american education

Actually I just looked up Swahili in Wikipedia, and I could have sworn it listed Kongo as one of the places it was spoken. No offence intended.

My point still stands - they should add a Swahili speaking civ and make baba yeti it's theme music.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 15, 2016

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

You are referring of course to Angela Merkel, a lady so awesome that when she came to Brisbane for the G20, rather than stay cooped up in her hotel like every other world leader, she went clubbing and took selfies with random people.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's not a hard and fast rule is it?

I'm sure they can't wait till they can add Elizabeth II to a civ game - I think she'd be a very good addition.

I think FDR should be the alternate US leader, for symmetry.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Judging from the streams, does it appear as though an experienced civ player should start on king? Or do you think the different mechanics are enough to make you want to start on prince?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I paid $120 to buy the deluxe edition of this game here in Australia. I still wouldn't jump through hoops to get a discount at some weirdo online store.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 15, 2016

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I love it when the civ thread takes time off to have history nerdfights. It makes me nostalgic for highschool.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If I wasn't able to found a religion, and I capture a holy city and wipe out its original owner, do I become the founder of that religion?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It took me forever to realise that you could attack religious units with your own religious units without triggering a declaration of war - there doesn't seem to be any penalty at all for doing so. It made religion far more tolerable, since you can just kill their missionaries with your apostles and it actually helps you spread religion faster.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

New Civs are exactly what I want and expect from DLC, and what I wanted from the season pass. I'd have been disappointed if a dlc was wasted on maps or scenarios with no new civ.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's hilarious to me that Australia's bonuses revolve around having massive food output and extra housing, allowing really tall cities, yet in reality we're a country known for having a tiny population spread out over a vast continent. (And a major hot button political topic is how ridiculously unaffordable it is to buy a house here)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I just realised how great Australia would be combo'd with Petra.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I hate that roads are tied to trade routes. It means I'm forced to choose between building roads between my cities, or having profitable (international) trade routes. And the pathing system the game uses is dumb - a trader will build a road directly to another city when it could have passed through a city half way between by just adjusting the route slightly. You end up in the industrial era and most of your cities still don't have road connections.

It's one of the reasons I really really like playing as Rome.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed this: since the patch, map generation seems to be hosed up. The game is constantly spawning Civs and city states right on top of each other instead of evenly spread out. Half the games I start have 1 -2 City states or Civs so close to my starting location that I can see them on turn 1. Sometimes another civ’s starting settler will be 4 tiles away from my own.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kalko posted:

*opens menu, clicks restart*

Yep. That’s what half my map restarts look like.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Any word on an official fix?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I downloaded the civfanatics fix and so far so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I can do it reasonably reliably on emperor difficulty and standard map sizes. My typical build order is scout-worker-settler-religious district-shrine; then in the second city I do worker-religious district-shrine; then I just set my capital to do that repeating project, which gives you extra faith per turn and a lump sum of great prophet points every time you finish it. The extra lumps of points almost always get you over the line for the second last or last religion.

The main complication is if Saladin is on the map, since then you’re effectively competing for 4 positions.

I wish I knew which the low faith leaders were though.