Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Every week I keep hoping to finally get the Inca and every week am disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

What's the story behind seondeok triggering incels?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Atomic Scottish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdhBd0xlFGY.

Also a fan of the Ottoman ambient version of Ceddin Deden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3QlNxnv4zE

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Pretty sure Elanor doesn't accept culture alliances. Or at least I've never gotten one even when she was fine with every other alliance type.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

As a representative of the pretty borders faction I like the influence mechanic because it keeps the AI from settling a city on lovely land between my cities.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Played as Scottish hermetic order over the weekend. The ley lines get instance once you unlock the ability to get yields based on great people earned. Gonna have to try that with Brazil next I think.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Really excited about dramatic ages and Gaul. I also wonder if the dramatic age options will make Georgia suck less.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Guess should set up Gaul on pangea with Tomyris, Monty, Shaka, Alexander, and Gorgo and just try to ride out the thunder some.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm thinking about how it will pair with Roosevelt, give me all of the appeal

Australia seems like it would also benefit quite a bit.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm really loving the theme music for Vietnam.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In the preview vid it also looked like the encampment didn't have to be built on a forested tile.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I won a Vietnam game last night. I got lucky with relics and heros to get insane early culture and tourism output. kristina declared a surprise war on me in the renaissance when I was pulling ahead. I was unprepared but between the special encampments, the extra movement and combat strength in jungle, and the special elephant crossbows I absolutely crushed the invasion with minimal effort.

Next game in Xanadu a stately pleasure-dome I shall decree.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Whenever civ 7 rolls around I hope they keep districts, really lean into how the GS and NF civs really push different mechanics and map interactions, and keep the leader / civ split with even more options.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Having districts be as architecturally varied as city centers would be a nice update.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

homullus posted:

I would absolutely buy another pass if it had the same quality as the current one.

:same:

I also like having one of two new things a month because it makes me branch out and try new civs or modes I'd normally skip.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

prometheusbound2 posted:

I think Civ 4 is the best Civ for the following reasons:

1. It was the only game in the series to create an interesting choice between tall vs. wide gameplay.
2. The diplomacy in both Civ 5 and Civ 6 makes no sense because of both erratic AI and dull gameplay systems (any mods that fix this?)
3. Civ 4 had the most robust mod base and so basically an eternal lifespan.

The Beyond Earth LP last year(?) caused me to reinstall and do s few playthroughs. It wasn't as bad as I remember even if it still feels like a high production civ 5 mod. However, after districts I just can't go back to having every building invisibly stacked in the city center. Maybe it's because I play in lower difficulties as a map painter but all the previous games just feel way too boring.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The music in 4 was really good. But, I really like the move away from a handful of classical western composers to having each Civ represented with its own music.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I had a roommate who wanted his church band to play Baba Yatu but it took them six months convince the church it wasn't some sort of foreign devil music.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Eventually.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Karanas posted:

That's ironic considering it's the Lord's Prayer in swahili.

That's why it's funny. A white suburban church looking askance at the lord's prayer because as we all know Jesus spoke English.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PaybackJack posted:

You unlock religion and suddenly you have to start throwing virgins into volcanoes or they explode. Poseidon demands you harvest that wheat tile or he sinks one of your ships.

I parsed this as the virgins will explode unless safely thrown into a volcano.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

HappyCamperGL posted:

by existing. spain are close to the worst civ in the game.

I keep forgetting spain exists and it feels like years since I actually got spain spawn in a game.

sexpig by night posted:

Also zombie mode sounds...interesting. I kinda want to make a game with all the most warlike civs on a big map and see how wild the zombie hordes can get.

What would the thread classify as the most aggressive and earlier civs? I've been thinking of playing a Maori terra game with the twist of the old world is maximum thunderdome. I'm thinking, Montezuma, Trajan, Tomyris, Alexander, Chandragupta.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Zombie mode seems great for Gorgo or Monty. Actually can the eagle warrior capture zombies as slave labor?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In my Aztec zombie game I played continents and took over my home one, wiping out the Zulu and Egypt. There was a city state in the mountains near an egyptian city in a river valley. Egypt spent my entire war with the Zulu unsuccessfully trying to capture the city state but getting their army bogged down and wiped out by city state archers in the hills. After my way with Zulu I took advantage of the situation to grab Egypt's capital and core cities while their entire army was dying in the hills of buenos aires. The problem is that area of the map now spawns so many zombies I have to keep half my army there because 3-4 can spawn on a turn.

Anyways in the oceans between continents I found a single island that my scout has been watching for 30 turns now and it doesn't seem to get any zombie spawns. It's lovely territory but it has room for a campus and spaceport. It would be a cool emergent story for civilization to be completely overrun on the mainlands and this tiny city grinds out a spaceship to a hopefully zombie free planet.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Elias_Maluco posted:

While I agree to some of those points (but you can just turn off religious victory in Civ 6, you know), I just cant civ without districts anymore

I specially miss Civ 5 world congress and ideologies

The beyond earth let's play made me go back and play it 4-5 times. It actually was more fun than I remembered. But I just can't go back to how static the map is without districts. Same with the disaster system of gathering storm, feels too boring without it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Jovial Cow posted:

I had a barbarian camp that was on a one tile wide isthmus between a lake and an ocean just start cranking out caravels like crazy, then privateers. I had one city on the lake and two on the ocean and their harbors were just getting ravaged. No joke like 5 or so Caravels and a privateer were kicking about. Built some trebuchets to try and plink away at the ships only for a battleship to show up. At that point I just ended up bribing them and they became venice. Bastards.

I had something crazy like that happen once but I was also playing Heros and got Sinbad. It was great.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Are their any other thread recommended UI or QoL mods?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I just had an amazing Inca game and never thought to combine preserves with mountains. I tend to forget about preserves in general though. I'm never sure when I'm supposed to be thinking about using them.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I find when I want to do a chill peaceful game I get a cramped start and when I want to do a conquest game I spawn far away from everyone.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Napoleon posted:

Aweome, I have my neighbor's capital under siege, got my bombards in position around it and then blizzards pops up and destroys half of my army in 2 turns cause the terrain is too hilly to move them out of the path

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Battering rams and siege towers are part of a new unit class - support units. They attach to a combat unit and confer bonuses but they can't fight themselves. Attach your battering ram to a melee unit and the melee unit gets a bonus attacking city walls.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Tarquinn posted:

Okay okay, the globe and Baba Yetu from IV. VI's theme is great, but Baba Yetu is just marvellous. :3:

A roommate played Baba Yetu with his church band and some of the congregation got really upset until the pastor explained it was literally the Lord's prayer.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's not a complete overhaul mod, but I've been enjoying the Civilizations Expanded mod lately, that changes and buffs every civ/leader so that the civs are stronger and more asymmetric. Also Terra Mirabilis, a natural wonders overhaul.

This post was the first I heard of the Civilizations Expanded mod but I've really enjoyed the two games I played of it so far.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Did you know that a blizzard is guaranteed to kill a pop if it's working a lumber mill within the affected area? Had a city go from pop 10 to pop 1 in a single turn. Blizzards can gently caress off also.

:ussr:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Chandragupta posted:

I never ally anyone, if we share a border you are a future target, and if not you are too far away to help or be a help

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

How well does playing FElanor work with dramatic ages? Seems like all those free cities would be easy picking for a culture flip, bit I've never played that mode.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

That sounds like a very big bug

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

btw if you're new the AI is still hard on the upper levels, it takes some time to get yourself optimized

Truth. It took me a while to shift my brain from thinking in terms of tile improvements to thinking in terms of maximizing district adjacency and regional effects when it comes to optimizing my civ.

I highly recommend Germany as a beginner civ.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

If we're recommending Korea as a terrain dependent science civ then I'd also recommend Pericles for getting a feel for the culture game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Albino Squirrel posted:

I am irrationally angry that there's no new achievements with the leader pass.