Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I can't believe anyone even plays on marathon speed. The game speed adjustments are wack as hell. Compared to standard, on marathon, units move/attack three times as much, and certain game timers (like interacting with barb clans, or governor establishing) happens three times more often. The units thing is really the big one - if someone declares war on you and steps a massive army out of the fog, you can't build up to defend it - you're just hosed. Getting spotted by barbs is now much, much worse. On the plus side, you'll explore the entire world by the mid-classical age. You get to reset your trade routes three times as often. The lag between making a settler and settling your city is three times shorter. Etc. It really feels like Firaxis didn't think about it or test it at all (but hey, that's like 90% of the systems in the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I've been playing a Zombies game with my buddy since yesterday. In our previous games together every once in awhile the non-host player would get a loading screen at the turn transition. No big deal, we're an ocean apart so I guess I get it. In the new patch the behavior has changed, now we both get a full minute of nothing happening at all before the non-host gets the loading screen, and it seems to happen almost every turn.

So that's not great.

All I want to do is finish the achievements before this thing rattles itself to pieces.

I don't know why, but once this starts happening, it won't stop happening on that save file. And it seems much more likely to happen if you load a save from a previous day. Not much to do but abandon the game afaik :(

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

My other bad Civ opinion is that I like to play on too-easy difficulties and use it as a sandbox on purpose.
:same:

I mostly play on Emperor and build tall empires with 2-4 cities because managing a large number of mediocre cities is unfun.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

harrygomm posted:

i've got another stupid civ question: how can i tell what promotions a particular spy has? i had two spies both successfully complete the same kind of mission on the same turn and sent them back home. one had a promotion which means it needs to counterspy at home, the other needs to go on the offense and i can't tell which is which because the mission history doesn't differentiate and neither do the units afaict

You can mouseover the little promotion medal thingy at the bottom when the unit is selected, and there's a tooltip telling you what the promotion is.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Yeah I use it all the time, because I have no capacity to remember what I did four turns ago. If you can't get the tooltip to show up then something weird is going on. You can try saving and restarting the game and it might come back :shrug:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

also Canada appears on the list twice

also also the "why did you pick up Civ VI" question with a jillion checkboxes is immediately followed by "why are you still playing Civ VI," with, as far as I could tell, all the same checkboxes but shuffled to be in a different order

professional poo poo

On the second question I clicked "other" and typed in "see previous question"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Sioux posted:

For the first time in like 25 years, I finally beat a Civ game. Normally at some point (I always do marathon games) I kind of lose interest, or stop playing for a few weeks, and then quit that game and start a new game years later. This time I played every evening and then I finally got a cultural victory, but it kind of came out of nowhere. Was it because I had the highest culture score at the last turn (turn 1000??) or did I reach a cultural threshold?

I really wonder how you are supposed to get a science victory then, I mean, which prevails? Science score or culture score? I never really focused my production, policies and buildings on any particular victory, so maybe I should focus on science next time and not bother with cultural stuff like shrines and theatres.

The way culture victory works in civ 6 is super weird. Here's the simple version:

You've got two relevant ratings at the top of your screen: culture-per-turn and tourism-per-turn. Culture, in addition to unlocking civics, is defense against culture victory, and tourism is offence. Culture, through some esoteric formula, generates "domestic tourists." Tourism, through an even more esoteric formula that involves, I think, comparing your tourism to the culture and/or tourism of each other civ, generates foreign tourists. You win a victory if the number of foreign tourists visiting your civ is greater than the number of domestic tourists that any other civ has individually. This means that if only one civ goes heavy into culture, they win easily, but if two civs do, they essentially block one another from winning, because they both have to get a lot more foreign tourists to compete against one another's large number of domestic tourists.

Notice that getting to the end of the civic track isn't important at all - except for the fact that most things that generate tourism also generate culture, so you'll just kinda do it naturally, and there are a few endgame policy cards and other things that can help generate more tourism (most notably, the Rock Band unit, which generates huge bursts of tourism, and costs faith).

If you have a lot of great works, especially if you also have some relics and/or (if you're playing with the Monopolies & Corporations mode) products, you'll be generating lots of tourism. A lot of people report winning culture victories accidentally like that if they are playing with Monopolies & Corporations and they have a monopoly on a luxury, which can boost overall tourism to a huge level with the monopoly bonus. If you're not playing with M&C, then you probably just have a lot of great works, and the other civs are all slacking in their culture generation. The AI tends to prioritize science over culture, and isn't smart enough to pivot their strategy when they notice that, say, they're at risk of getting culturally dominated. So it's possible that you were the only one who bothered to build theater squares, and you got all the writers and artists, and they just sucked :shrug:

Science victory, on the other hand, is simply a race. You research up to the top of the tech tree, build a spaceport, and launch various projects (satellite, moon landing, mars colony, exoplanet expedition, optional: laser stations to push your exoplanet expedition faster). There is no relevant player interaction except via war or spycraft. I find that at higher difficulties, science victory often goes a bit faster than culture victory, since everyone has a lot more "defense" in the form of culture rating to slow that down.

A marathon game is 1500 turns max; do you remember what turn you were on, or what age you were in, or what techs and civics you had gotten recently? Also, what difficulty were you playing on, and what civ/leader were you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Sioux posted:

Anyone ever co-opped this game? Theoretically it's PvE /and/ PvP, of course, but if you're in a voice chat with the other player I'm sure you could be allies and bully all other civs while creating really cool and cooperative civ's with the other player, with open borders, a lot of trade etc. I wonder though how boring it would be to wait through the other players turn.

I've done a fair bit of co-op. It's a bit weird. You can't really affect one another that much. You share vision (except vision based on suzerainty), and when one of you gets a tech/civic it's boosted for the other. Other than that it's like you weren't on the same team, though there are a few things you can do to cooperate. You can do beneficial trades with one another (giving extra copies of luxuries, financing one another during times of crisis, etc.), you can defend one another, you can do alliances (which only really have a benefit if you can trade with one another, so that's geography dependent), you can cooperate on voting, and you can avoid building the same wonders at the same time. You essentially can't cooperate on science or culture victory, which are basically the only victory types that I (or my friend who I co-op with) find fun. In the late game, whoever is doing worse can't do much besides funnel money to whoever's doing better to slightly hasten their victory.

Meanwhile, the AI, when teamed up together, does not act as if they are on a team. They'll boost each others' techs and civics, but that's about it. They don't vote together, making the world council kinda stupid. They don't come to one another's defense. Afaik they don't send each other money in times of crisis or otherwise make beneficial deals with one another. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see an AI player start building a wonder that their partner is already building.

So we treat the game more as a sandbox that we're both playing in together rather than a serious struggle for victory. We usually stop playing after a few hours and when it comes time to play again, rather than load our save we just start a new game.