Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Samu posted:

Did they ever add a Canadian Civ?

Hahaha

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've been avoiding info on this game until today. Having just read about all the civs, definitely going Aztec first :getin:

Also I learned that stepwells are a thing and also cool as gently caress.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I remember right after the announcement, they made a thing about having multiple leaders for civilizations, and then ended up having ...one civ with two leaders? I guess we know what every single dlc will be now.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean technically multiple leaders was only officially announced like last week

Probably just me misremembering in my old age. What game are we even talking about again?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lorini posted:

Has anyone gotten their Steam code from gmg? Or when do you guys think it'll show up? If it's going to be like the next day, I have to decide if it's worth $16 to wait :).

Got mine a little over 24 hours ago.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mister Adequate posted:

Okay let's try this on my real account.

lol I assume it's just an incidental speck on the map, but this makes it look like the Isle of Mann is under an embargo like Iran and North Korea are.

Anyway I was planning to hold off on this until a sale, or at least until some reviews were in, but I'm clearly not going to do so and will be preordering imminently with money I most certainly do not have :downs:

Looks like the same for Puerto Rico. Weird map.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Brannock posted:

What pageantry? There's just a fat dude and a really, really fat dude sitting talking. Twitch chat is apparently dead. Or is the game on another stream?

When you say dead, do you mean scrolling by so fat it would be hard to read, except for the fact that half the comments are 'message deleted'?

Edit: I meant to say fast, but it seems appropriate, so I'm leaving the typo.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was very kind of the Russians to give the Aztecs an extra city like that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Haha that Russian religious trick was actually really good.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Russian employs only the most advanced in catapult technology to defend their cities after declaring war in 1943

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Remember we're talking about a sample size of one game here as well.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So for VPNing purposes, the game is released in Australia at 12pm Eastern Time, right?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought the release time was 11AM Eastern for the first tier? Did it get pushed back to 12?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I realize it doesn't matter because it's like 3 minutes away, but this was 2 pages ago, I don't know if it was wrong or just changed.

Krazyface posted:

:siren: The game will be released in the eastern countries in 9 hours: at 2 AM eastern Aus time, or 11 AM EST. Valve doesn't care if you VPN to play a game early, only if you VPN to cheat regional pricing. If something doesn't make sense, try reading the Civilopedia :siren:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I can't seem to get it to work. I'm connected via vpn, made sure I have a Australia IP, if I go to the steam store via browser it says it's available. I exited out of steam and restarted but still nothing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Removed mobile guard, tried moving from Australia to Japan, restarted steam like 7 times, changed the download region, still nothing. Say available on browser, but 11 hours in steam.

I wonder if buying from GMG got me some kind of special NA only key that change be unlocked early.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Removed mobile guard, tried moving from Australia to Japan, restarted steam like 7 times, changed the download region, still nothing. Say available on browser, but 11 hours in steam.

I wonder if buying from GMG got me some kind of special NA only key that change be unlocked early.

Update: I had to disable the mobile authenticator *AND* log out on my phone. Actually, probably just log out of my phone. But it's working now.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Sorry if this has been asked, I haven't been following the thread since I started actually playing, but do units keep their unique bonuses as they upgrade? IE Eagle warriors continuing to capture builders?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Krazyface posted:

I think it varies. Legions definitely seem to keep their building abilities.

What about eagle warriors specifically?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So are sovereign borders a thing you have to research later? I'm in the classical period and Sumeria just rolled up and surrounded my capital with 7 units, and there seems to be nothing I can do about it. No asking him to gtfo my lawn, no calling him out for parking his army all around my city or anything.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Aztec Worker bonus says a work can spend a charge to complete "20% of the original cost of a district" what does that mean exactly? The cost of each distract goes up right? Does anyone know exactly by how much? I'm wondering how long that bonus will be really worth while.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

twistedmentat posted:

I noticed that one of the British units says "if Victoria is leader" which suggests that they're going to add other leaders for civs down the line. Not that it should be surprising. I hope England gets either Henry VIII, George III or Henry V. I don't think and of them have been leaders yet.

Hopefully all the civs from 5 will make an appearance, but Italy should be in there, not Venice. Though someone suggested that Genoa was in the files. Italy at the time of unification was from Milan wasn't it? Or was Turin the captial of the Peidmont? Also like to see Romania as well. Canada or Australia should be in the game as well, I mean if Brazil can be a civ, why not them?

David Cameron will be the other British leader. A new bonus resource, pork will be added. Britain gets +4 culture from any sources of pork.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Whatever happened to that thing they kept talking about in the promotional stuff, where a barb scout would find your city and then race back to camp? Best I can tell barb scouts just sort of mill about and try to not get murdered.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It happens, everybody ITT complaining about getting stomped by barbs doesn't try to chase down the scouts. Later on, the barb scouts are so hopelessly outclassed by up to date units that they can't really do the thing anymore.

I was just reminded of it, because I started an epic game, and my one eagle warrior was off exploring. Two scouts just came up to my capital, milled about for a few turns and hosed off, and nothing? A completely exposed capital and they didn't do anything at all. Was within the first 20 turns or so, and they were both wounded, I assume from a nearby city state. Playing on King.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Two more random questions;

If you conquer a city state, do you get their bonus? I'm guessing probably not.

And in my last game, I noticed one of the earlier civics cards was -30% build time for builders. I went looking for it later in the game when I was going to do a big builder push and it was gone. Do cards disappear sometimes?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just declared war on myself? :iiam:

I'm Aztec. Greece asks me to joint war India, who could refuse such an offer? A few turns later Greece asks me to declare friendship, which I do. A few turns after that, Greece parks two warriors by my capital and declares a surprise war. But right after his war screen comes up, the Aztec war screen comes up as well. Maybe because I was friends with Greece? The popups on the side say it was actually Cleopatra who was the second declaration, who isn't even on this continent and may or may not be in this game.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've now spent 2 missionaries (4 charges) trying to convert Toronto, which is very near by holy city. It's only got a population of 3, and no majority religion, so they have to have at least 2 citizens available for conversion. Why won't these heathens accept the light of allah into their hearts?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So is there just not supposed to be any war whatsoever for the last 2/3s of the game? I take an early second city from Ghandi in my marathon game in the ancient era. They recover, and completely wipe out England, taking 3 of their cities. I reach the Renaissance and casus belli him since he's denounced me every 30 turns since the beginning of time, and settles in between my cities the turn after I tell him not to, and yet I'm the warmonger who get denounced by every single civ on the map? Oh, and apparently his city that I took 2,000 years ago spawns a bunch of musketmen and a loving cannon barbarians due to war weariness like 4 turns into the war.

The punishments for going to war are absolutely absurd post Renaissance. And by Renaissance of course I mean 100AD, because that's when I reached it, apparently screwing myself out of going to war every again.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ded posted:

Turn 15, on King. Barbs are NOT set to raging.

The game is punishing you for playing Gandhi. As it should.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So is the game extra crashy now? I played it when it came out and it never crashed once. I heard there was a patch so i thought I'd try some more, this game now crashes on the same turn no matter what.

Edit: 3 times. Also turns take like 3x longer than they did before the patch. gently caress it, back to dwarf fortress it is.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 24, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Sorry for the driveby post, but I didn't see anything in the OP or the last two pages.

What's the general consensus about the DLC? Hype or not hype?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Thought I'd give this another try now that the expansion is out.

Is the game just designed to start you out with a barbarian invasion now? It's happened the last three games. The second game the scout saw my capital on turn two and I got to spend the first 20+ turns doing nothing but fighting off the endless spawning barbarians 3 tiles away from my capital.