Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
"electing a bad leader" is what happens when you get a headache while playing and start playing poorly or save partway through your turn and reload later having forgotten what you were planning or if you sneeze and accidentally end your turn before you're done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For those who didn't watch the video:

I dunno, he looks cartoony and his cheeks are comically huge, but otherwise he doesn't look that fat.

i think it's that he appears to have no chin, the rest of his body looks fine, the neck area just looks weird

President Ark
May 16, 2010

for what it's worth i'd say of all the recent civs (including BE) 6 is probably the best one out of the box

it's a bit murkier when you factor in expansions but the base game is pretty drat solid

President Ark
May 16, 2010

re: districts impacting other cities - districts will also give/benefit from adjacency bonuses of districts and such that belong to a different city

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I'm incredibly entertained by the fact that I could launch a successful Moon Landing without having discovered: Steel, Plastic, or combustion.

:shepface:

the world's biggest slingshot

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

Why would she purposely put cities on both sides of my capital? All it does is screw us both, because now none of our cities can grow properly.

I am 90% certain the AI does this on purpose. It's their way of saying "I don't like you and I want to declare war on you but I need an excuse." They've already decided they want to kill you but at the time they're making the decision they can't justify it so they do something aggressive to either make you declare on them first or to give them a reason to denounce you later.

I'm also 90% sure that if the AI yells at you for settling a city too close to "their territory" when the new city further from them than your capital it's for a similar reason - they've already decided that your territory is theirs and as soon as they get around to it they're going to stomp on you to take it.

Note that both of these things mostly happen early in the game when civs are much closer to each other in terms of power. You stop seeing this later as civs get further apart from each other in rank, and wars then become "I'm declaring on you because you're too far ahead/behind".

My problem with 6's diplomacy isn't that they do these things, it's that:

1. It's completely opaque whether the AI is deliberately being an rear end in a top hat to you in order to create a reason to go to war with you vs. being an rear end in a top hat because it's stupid or because you're being an rear end in a top hat to it
2. The player is held to much higher standards than the AI in terms of what each player can get away with before everyone else starts dogpiling them.

I think if they moved the "specific varieties of war declaration" thing much earlier in the game (like... medieval era) and greatly magnified warmonger penalties in a non-justified war and then reduced them for a justified war and then made the AI really try to declare using a justification whenever possible it'd help these things a lot.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 8, 2017

President Ark
May 16, 2010

god i loving love the concept of the mechanic that they start in the ocean and have to find a spot to settle

President Ark
May 16, 2010

petra + mali + the city state that lets you build alcazars is good

President Ark
May 16, 2010

the tundra thing is basically a non-bonus until you get feudalism, at which point it's just kind of OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Some new luxury/bonus resources from that video

I see maize and bees

Beads?