Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Canada and Australia got a bunch of city states over other more historical possibilities. City states are also the best way to represent cultures and nations that can't make it into the main game as a full playable "civilization" and hopefully they add some more features for them, like maybe giving militaristic city states their own unique units or certain city states their own unique wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Given that Civilization is in large part about making weird wacky alt-histories, having full-blown civs for nations that in reality are relatively small is not remotely impossible or a bad idea.

I would rather have the Hittites, Cherokee, or Khmer over Canada, Australia, or Switzerland because the game presents a clash of civilizations not a clash of minor contemporary western countries. :shrug:

Also, I don't get an alt-history vibe from Civilization at all, that's more for games like Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 17, 2016

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Clarste posted:

Most of the civs are pretty small, historically, because most countries were pretty small. Only a few European nations and Japan ever got really big into the whole imperialism thing, and even before that large empires have always been the exception, not the rule. Geographically speaking, Canada is probably bigger than most other playable civs.

If Firaxis has to make a choice of including either Sumeria (inventors of writing, literal first civilization) or Canada (large) then I hope they go with Sumeria.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Well yeah, should they get into that very silly hypothetical situation where they're forced to choose between those two, that's a good pick. Additionally if they're forced to choose between Rome (longest lasting empire and founder of western civilization) or Atlantis (fictional) I hope they go with Rome.

That's not a silly hypothetical situation, in order to decide what civilizations are in the game then Firaxis needs to compare the historical importance and geographic representation of all the potential civilizations. If the match-up is silly then I guess Canada will never be in the game!

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I think the main problem with stacks is that you can't tell what's in them with a glance. One cool thing that they're doing with this new art style is that they're making the units' weapons more noticeable precisely so that you can tell what kind of primary and support units are in a tile together.

I also think that certain civilizations could have more than one leader to choose from but not have more than one unique ability to keep track of, just have the leader represent some changes to the AI or even just purely cosmetic depending on what's going on with the diplomacy in this game.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Cleopatra is a fine choice for an Egyptian leader if she is one of multiple possible Egyptian leaders available. But if she is the only leader then that's fine too because I would also rather not have Ramses be the Egyptian leader in all Civilization games until the end of time.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
These leaks are kind of cool but it seems to indicate a stunning lack of native american civs. :(

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
If America gets two more leaders in DLC, it will be Washington and Lincoln.

Speaking of new leaders in DLC though, they're got some pretty big names with which to advertise DLC; Washington, Napoleon, and Alexander are all highly probably to show up again.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I do not understand the demand to put dumbdick Harry rear end Truman in the game.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Hogama posted:

I wonder if the framework they have in their new engine allows a Leader to be chosen for multiple Civs outside of Unrestricted Leaders.

I imagine that it would be far too hard to balance leaders for all the civs, but maybe it would be possible to balance a leader for only two?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Gorgo seems to have been revealed: http://civilization6.vgbaike.com/%E6%96%87%E6%98%8E#.E6.B3.95.E5.9B.BD

She gets culture from killing units.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Putting Hillary Clinton into the game wouldn't be funny it would be groan inducing.

I'm hoping that Firaxis doesn't stretch out the DLC as much as possible. They could sell a couple leaders together as a package (like Washington & Lincoln) or sell a new civ with multiple leaders (like Persia with Xerxes and Cyrus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I suppose there could be a lot of alternate leaders like Napoleon that could be DLC-bait.