Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

The Human Crouton posted:

Why don't they bring back Baba Yetu? Opening Civ 4 for the first time made me feel awesome and ready to forge a civilizatuon in my image.

Don't want to use it too much, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What's dated about the philosophy of SMAC?

A lot actually it's definitely a game of it's time.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Anything specific?

Don't want to do a huge write up but three examples : Zakharov's philosophy in the modern era doesn't really work "for science" as an idea has really been on the backfoot and you'd have to mash Santiago's militant FARC type thing doesn't exist either and Godwin would have to way more the right kind of Christian than she already was.

Morgan would totally still work though.

Hogama posted:

I always find it entertaining to follow the civilization lists as they're revealed, for the main entries and their DLCs, as well as the leaders.

It's still early yet, but going wholly by the history of the series, the "core" list of civs would be

America
The Aztec Empire
China
Egypt
England
France
Germany
Greece
India
Japan*
Persia**
Rome
Russia

That's 13 civs that can probably be reliably expected to return, out of possibly 18 (that's been the base for the past two games, up from 16 in Civ 3). Arabia's made a strong showing since first appearing in Play the World, too. I'd guess Firaxis would want at least one more Native American and African representative, too, though they haven't been as consistent about those. Perhaps the Iroquois will make their third showing.

*Only in the console versions of Civ 1, replacing Zulu, but the SNES title came out the same year as the MS-DOS game, so I count it.
**Wasn't in Civ 1, but has always been a base since Civ 2. They didn't make it to the Revolution games, though.

Japan is in there are Samurai mentioned in interviews

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Poil posted:

Monty needs his bff Shaka though. They're the dynamic duo of Civilization. And by dynamic I of course mean aggressive. It will likely be an interesting if you start sandwiched between them.

At the same time though it's kind of annoying that aggressive rear end in a top hat civ will forever be Genghis, Monty ,Shaka though.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

berryjon posted:

I see you haven't played Civ 4 yet.

She doesn't count because if you have the same religion she's fine.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I'm so glad they're using a new engine. Civ 5 was such a CPU hog and it had no reason to be.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Eiba posted:

As a reminder, America with Roosevelt gets the Rough Riders, which is a ridiculously personal unique unit.

In fact it's so personal, I can dream of a Civ VI where there are multiple leaders, who each have a particular unique unit. Like Roosevelt might have rough riders, mustangs and movie studios, but Washington gets minute men, mustangs and movie studios.

Actually that's the only way I can really imagine multiple leaders working meaningfully without combining stock traits like Civ IV, or coming up with a ridiculous number of unique bonuses for civs.

This one is supposed to be easier to mod,so it wouldn't be too hard.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Looks like the Ottomans are in

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/736968372559040512

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

http://www.gadgethelpline.com/civilization-vi-pre-release-details-emerge-whats-changed/

-Way easier to convert cities with religion apparently
-Religious victory or at least easier to do domination through religion

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I didn't see a Civ V thread, so I figured I'd ask this here.

Why the hell is my nation always getting stuck in these godawful starting positions? It's not that good places to settle don't exist, they most definitely do, but whenever I start, I end up stuck right in the middle of tundra, desert, or jungle with nothing around.

Maybe it's something to do with the custom nations I'm using? I'll try turning off start bias and see if that makes a change because goddamn, tundra starts suuuuuuck.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558848

Depends on what civ you're using.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

https://www.facebook.com/civ/

They just did like a 30 min live stream Q&A about the game the video is on the page.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Here's some stuff about how the cities work in Civ 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vVGQThK01M

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

Civilization 6 E3 Demo, Narrated by Sean Bean

Didn't see this posted yet.

Makes me so much more excited.
And really hope Bean does narration within the game not just these videos.

And here is a live stream of that demo going into detail.

https://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames/v/74092701

Don't have to settle on the coast to build ships loving finally

edit: Does has to be within 3 tiles of the sea though. And something about fresh water vs salt water too.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 24, 2016

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

there's an old poem about making coffee spurs elucidating conversations or whatever, i'm gonna try to find it. It came out when they were still called "berries" instead of coffee beans

in the meantime you might as well add in tobacco
weed & poppies too I guess.

has anyone made a TCC themed mod before?

I'm not sure but I think tobacco is in

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Civfanatics classics

Cleopatra is greek not Egyptian
Alexander is Macedonian *frothing rage* suggests greek dictator as replacement
Germany didn't exist until the 1800s should only use modern leaders
Why is it called England instead of Britian?
Really, Really, Really mad about Brazil being in but brings up not liking America in as a deflection
Female leader? Didn't actually rule country *ignores literally all the guys who did nothing but fight and die or never lead a country* Unprovoked rant about pc culture
And finally ,why is (Native ,African, SE Asian) civ here should be another Rome Civ or obscure Eastern European ethnic group

edit: I know I missed a bunch.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

That end game Xcom challenge sounds pretty much perfect.

Anyway, these new leader screens are wonderful. Such a relief after the weird statue people of V! (Tilts head, bends finger, raises voice slightly)

The art sytle is nice mix of Civ 4 (which I thought I was too cartoony) and Civ 5 which was way too stiff. To actually looks ok

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

victrix posted:

Is Sean Bean doing the tech tree, or was that just a thing for that E3 demo?

It's really unclear as to whether on not he's just doing the game intro and the demos. I'd assume yes but you never know.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

I think the UI in VI is beautiful in general, but dear god, someone get an outline on that highlighted text.

They also need a color blind mode. The view for city settling is red, light green, and green.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

Hell, this even tripped up the dev team when they were developing Gods & Kings. They wanted the Dutch to have the ability to turn coasts into land, but map tiles were really hard-coded in Civ V.

I really hope they get this in an expansion

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

iirc BE had really interesting and creative lire that they just... Never showed you basically?

Like you could go into the civpedia to read about it but if you didn't it was basically just "there's a weird creature here, +1 to food or whatever" or "no village was ruined by trade"

Prime example of this is one of the wonders basically gives out immortality and gameplay wise nothing comes of it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Non-toxx calling it now: Greece.

Greece will probably be last since that's showing off the multiple leaders feature

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Brannock posted:

Aside from Fat Teddy, the only thing I don't like about the game's look thus far is 3D modeled Wonders instead of painting.

You know they changed that model right?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I really hope someone figures out an interesting science system for strategy games because flat "science points" you spend on a tree always leads to science snowballing, while on the other hand you have Paradox games where everything is designed so that science is barely a thing and it's almost impossible to get ahead and even if you do it just means you have a +18% bonus to do shock damage when flanking an enemy fleet that has a lower leadership value than your leader's morale level but only when certain events trigger, scaled with your available force pool and number of provinces.

I'd love some game some time that actually tried to model actual science and progress in a realistic but still interesting way.

The issue with this is scientific progress doesn't really go in a straight line or a web or anything like that. Something like that would be a game by itself. Sometimes you just have to lose something for gameplay reasons (the reason why Civ doesn't do stuff like supply lines for war)

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I think Scythia is getting hit with the nerf hammer first I know they're moving away from resource requirements but 2 for 1 unit seems insane.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

I like Quill18.

Also, what happend to MadDjinn? Wasn't he like the premier Civ V youtuber and now he's doing no Civ VI?

He had a trip to Spain planned when they did the pre release stuff so oh whelp

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You bet your rear end they do. It almost always breaks flow and pacing in the introduction of the game and makes it that much harder to get invested in what's going on when someone has to tell your grizzled detective how to operate a doorknob or whatever. In ye olden days they could just stuff all that crap in the manual and it was the player's own fault for not reading instructions. But now nobody wants to read anything unless it's required, so, surprise! you have to force them to read and understand instructions (or just mash buttons wildly) to progress. Otherwise you get a million loud, angry rants online about how your lovely game doesn't work and won't let them progress.

I mean, it's possible to do an ingame tutorial well, but it's a goddamn art form that very few games get right.

Go watch any Valve video they have on game design and see them talk about how hard it is to get people to do something like look upwards.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think it's more demand really. Everybody wants to play Catherine the Great or one of the Caesars, but I doubt most fans are going to care much for the distinction of the two Montezumas.

Also, Kongo was maybe not the best example there, since they have a very notable alternative leader choice there. I mean I guess not Kongo proper, but I think it would count for the purposes of Civ. Might also be interesting to have an alternative Kongo that will fight colonial powers instead of demand to be converted.

Isn't she already a great general though?

efb but maybe for an expansion?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Yeah it's Persia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIhkrcFIVow

UA:Satrapies Free trade route when Political Philosophy is unlocked and a bonus to internal trade routes
UU: Immortal A ranged attack and higher combat defense than the normal swordsman
UI: Pairidaeza Gives Gold, Culture, and Appeal with bonuses for adjacent districts and city centers. Yields increase with tech and civic tree progression

Cyrus's UA :Fall of Babylon After declaring a surprise war all Persian units get bonus movement and takes less of a diplomatic penalty for declaring surprise war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

For like what one turn?

It doesn't say