Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

I'm guessing you started with Civ 5? Everyone was a tall player in vanilla Civ 5.

I think in the base game there was an optimal ICS actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

I

I thought it wasn't until the first expansion did ICS really take over.

Yeah that's a more accurate portrayal.

prefect posted:

I must confess, my Civ playing waned a bit during 3, 4, and 5. What is "ICS"?

:corsair:

Infinite City Sprawl. It was a big deal in civ 3, since then games have been conscious to avoid it and players have been quick to reference it. It's nowhere near as bad in 4, 5 or 6 where it generally means "A lot of cities" or "no real loss to founding more cities"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

Infinite City Sprawl. You place a city on every available location regardless of strategic value or resources in order to maximize things like science per turn. Civ games often try to limit this. In Civ 5 the limiting factor was happiness. With GnK however you could found religion that gave happiness through various things so it made ICS the dominant strategy.

BNW sort of famously over-corrected on this and made exactly 4 cities the optimal strategy. Civ VI seems to be doing well in that you might as well expand as much as you can, but densely packing your cities isn't as beneficial

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

reignofevil posted:

Assuming your talking about civ 6 the fact that it feels loving impossible to produce anything in a timely manner without packing a few cities together and planning out where your districts are gonna be makes me feel like this is mistaken.

Idk I could be wrong tho I've only played a few games so far but I distinctly recall being very annoyed with the rate of production from my late-game cities in my first game ever simply because who the gently caress is gonna think they need to stack industrial districts next to one another.

Yeah I guess that type of packing is good, but when talking about ICS we're comparing it with stuff like this

Or this (not possible without mods)

To elaborate, the problem with ICS wasn't just that you could have a limitless number of cities, it was that every tile that was a city was strictly better than it being anything else.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 27, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's probably been pointed out but here's my favourite bug so far. I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but I got an infantry unit to preserve its water movement speed when going onto land. It could move as if it had 5 movement instead of 2 basically, just for the one turn.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Seashell Salesman posted:

Everything to do with embarking and disembarking is crazy black magic. I think I've accurately predicted what was going to happen maybe 30% of the time in my games.

I figured it out, it's the promotion that removes the movement penalty for disembarking. Technically, any unit that starts in the water moves the speed of their water movement, which normally isn't as noticeable because it costs a good chunk of movement points to disembark. It's still weird because you can immediately run like 3 tiles inland in the later game, but that promotion lets you run like 6 tiles across grassland.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Staltran posted:

though tbh the commerce slider was kinda weird and I don't think a lot of people preferred it to the current science implementation.

You see, it's much more fiddly, which means it's more complicated which is better because

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mightypeon posted:

Skythia:
Insane unit sell abuse with some policies. Simply insane. A fairly early city can, as Skythia, pump out a Horseman per turn (actually, 2 horsemen in 2 turns but I digress), one of them is then sold for some 150 bucks. Effectively, this city does +75 gold production per turn while producing horsemen.

This is a pretty huge exploit and will likely be patched out.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I've had him compliment me on my strong navy when I hadn't build a single ship, harbor, founded any coastal cities or even researched any of the related techs.

Did you have land units embarked on the water?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Nope! Hadn't even researched celestial navigation and I never embarked any builders because no sea resources. I think the AI agendas are just very wonky right now. In that same game, Teddy was my BFF despite me steamrolling both my closest neighbors on our continent (yes it was the correct continent for the purpose of his agenda. He even hijacked my screen to cry about it). Like 2 turns after I mopped up a second Civ, he offered an alliance to me. Edit: Maybe not that wonky, apparently I got a big relations boost because he is scared of me. Nice that it can happen.

It should also be noted that relationship modifiers are actually per turn. So like, if something pops like -8 for violating agenda, that's like -8, uh, diplomacy points per turn.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Decrepus posted:

It doesn't seem like an improvement to me.

What problems did you have with global happiness that you also have with amenities?

They're really similar, but the implementation is different in a way that I think removes most of the issues people had with global happiness.

GrandpaPants posted:

What is the optimal distance between two cities now? 4 hexes? 5? 6? This whole district business makes planning cities more difficult than "optimal spread of resources, possibly block AIs"

Sort of depends, you can space it out pretty well, that's better for growth and big cities. You can also pack them more tightly for district adjacency bonuses, this is really good if you're Japan.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah that's the other thing, not every city you settle has to be a master tier city with 30 pop, you can settle weak cities that aren't going anywhere just to grab resources or fill out space, or build districts for adjacency bonus (if you're the aztecs) and if amenities become an issue just set those cities to not grow

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

By the way map pins are really good for district planning.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ross Perowned posted:

*Trajan with 20+ Hoplites combined to armies on every tile in a city who's border is nuts-to-rear end to my capital border*

*my AT crew runs across, on it's way to another city*

REMOVE YOUR ARMY FROM MY BORDERS YOU SCUM (Denounces you)

Pretty messed up given that Hoplites are Greek uniques and I don't think they can be made into corps or armies :v:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The best pillage move is to bring your workers in and strip resources off the map for quick cash. Real salt the earth stuff, except you're actually taking the salt out.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Sanctum posted:

Do you get yields or are you just removing a bonus tile in someone's territory to cripple them?

You get the yields if you've captured the cities there. You can still give them back at the end of the war to refund your warmonger points.

I don't know if it works if you don't take the cities, I do that anyway

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Classic Rome!

(Rome's AI leans toward risky forward settles and pushes out lots of settlers without always guarding them. It's arising that sometime ends up like that)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean you totally can appeal to the ai with some effort, but it's not like it's actually that beneficial.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Krazyface posted:

IMO weakening city-states is one of the best parts of the game; in a recent game I burned down La Venta and settled two really nice cities in its displacement zone. I'd go to the ends of the earth to keep Zanzibar alive, though.

Bless Zanzibar and Buenos Aires

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

VI is great, but yeah... It's rough right now, if you've waited this long you might as well wait until the first patch.

It's way rougher around the edges than V is. A few things to bridge the gap and it should overtake that.

IV is a bit more controversial. If you didn't like V + expansions compared to IV you probably won't like VI much more. They're different design directions.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the idea is that at that point you should be able to drop cash into new cities, but I agree you fresh settles later on should just get poo poo for free, especially since settlers cost so much later on

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

settling new cities late in the game makes no sense whatsoever unless you desperately need a resource.

or if you're the aztecs :getin:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

e: doublepost

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Roads upgrade automatically when you enter new eras.

only as your traders roll over them I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

How's the new patch treating everybody so far?