Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I always find it entertaining to follow the civilization lists as they're revealed, for the main entries and their DLCs, as well as the leaders.

It's still early yet, but going wholly by the history of the series, the "core" list of civs would be

America
The Aztec Empire
China
Egypt
England
France
Germany
Greece
India
Japan*
Persia**
Rome
Russia

That's 13 civs that can probably be reliably expected to return, out of possibly 18 (that's been the base for the past two games, up from 16 in Civ 3). Arabia's made a strong showing since first appearing in Play the World, too. I'd guess Firaxis would want at least one more Native American and African representative, too, though they haven't been as consistent about those. Perhaps the Iroquois will make their third showing.

*Only in the console versions of Civ 1, replacing Zulu, but the SNES title came out the same year as the MS-DOS game, so I count it.
**Wasn't in Civ 1, but has always been a base since Civ 2. They didn't make it to the Revolution games, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm being extremely triggered by those fonts :stare:

Yeah, I just imgur'd something that was already made. It wouldn't be my first choice but I'm lazy (what's with the deep blue on black for the Khmer?).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
From the gameplay UI (looking at the little portrait in the upper right), if that's not a placeholder, it appears that China's leader is probably Qin Shi Huang this time?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

So builders function like work boats did in Civ 5? That's interesting.

Work boats with charges like Great Prophets/missionaries, apparently.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdl8YVFK4o

Another new interview; not a lot of new confirmed information, but hints at things like canals, the wide-spread damage of nukes, true start location support (including more South America, perhaps?) and autoplay games.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If the leader meeting screen they have for Teddy's not placeholder at all, it could actually be more conducive to multiple Civ leaders than Civ V's sculpted scenes were. There's still the issue of voice acting, but a model alone should mean less work with props and posing and such. I'd imagine it cuts down on memory resources required for diplomacy and eases the work of modding, too.

Poil posted:

I really hope great works will still be in in some way. The artwork, music and read quotes makes it very rewarding and more interesting.

I forget which link, but in a video where Ed Beach was commenting over the official trailer, he was mentioning that most things in it were significant to the game somehow, and the parts where you saw paintings like Starry Night and Liberty Leading the People were indicative of Great Works still being in as a game mechanic.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Oh, to be sure, there's great stuff in the Civ V approach. Harald Bluetooth chucking his helm and storming off camera, any of Montezuma's posturings in front of the flames, and so forth. Just looking at what opportunities the latest game brings, is all.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Another article today, from IGN.

Some interesting extra things in this one I hadn't noticed before:

-Wildcard civic slots can take any other type of civic card OR unique wildcard cards. (Makes sense, given the name.)

-Great people are now predetermined (though random) within each category- when you earn enough to buy one, you can either grab the one available or wait for someone else to take them first to give you a shot at a new Great Person. Bonuses vary by Great Person. (Shades of Founding Fathers from Colonization?)

-Religion is mostly the way it worked in Civ V, with some as yet unseen wrinkles.

-There are (currently) five steps to diplomatic visibility with other nations. You can go from seeing basic information to learning their hidden agenda, victory condition being pursued, deals with other players, etc. - you have to do a variety of diplomatic actions (including espionage) to get yourself in that tight with them.

-City-State Quests aren't on a limited timer- you have a list, and doing more of them gets you more points (envoys?). You need at least 3 points to be an ally, and at least 1 more point than whoever else has favor with them to retain the ally bonus.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm not sure about "moving" districts, per se, but you can freely rezone most tiles throughout the game, for like if you need to start re-purposing farmland in your capital once you've unlocked more districts and/or need more housing. It shows in the video as little warnings on the tiles if you'd be building over something when laying a district down. I would imagine Wonders are an exception, though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

So here's a cursory glance at one of the screens, attempting to figure out what's built by sight alone. It looks mostly on point to me, though by logical progression from Civ V's buildings, America's Film Studio would be the Opera House replacement; kind of off if it replaces a Renaissance-era building, but one of the initial screenshots showed samurai in front of a similar district with 2/3 of the buildings and a dinosaur fossil. Perhaps the Museum is the Renaissance-era cultural building now - some of the oldest public museums were opened in Italy in that time period.

The borders seem to support the "City (Center?)" as being a newer city, maybe with no Monument or Granary yet built. Unless it's some other kind of border extension mechanic. Also, the 12 districts are all color-coded, and it seems like blue for science, white for faith, pink for culture - the tile labeled tentatively as "Suburbs" is green-coordinated, which would correspond to population. Hard to tell if it's supposed to be a district in the sense the others are, though - while it surely increases Housing, there don't seem to be unique buildings within it. Also, the sea buildings on the second picture seem to be turquoise- sea district for Lighthouse/Harbor/Seaport? And there's a red district behind the pikes that's probably the military district for Barracks/Armory/Academy?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Some new screenshots on the Civ VI site.

Not sure how much new info to glean from that but there's some nice cliffs.

edit: Updated with higher resolution - those FoW map details really pop at twice the size!

Hogama fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 2, 2016

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Also the likelihood of that being Crater Lake hanging out by the city in the foreground seems fairly plausible - first sighted Natural Wonder?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Wonders shown:

Big Ben (needs to be built adject to a City Center?)
The Colosseum: needs to be built adjacent to an Entertainment Complex district, on flat land.
+1 Culture and +1 Amenity. An additional +1 Culture and + 1 Amenity in each City.
Eiffel Tower: needs to be built adjacent to a City Center, on flat land.
All tiles in your territory gain +2 Appeal.
Great Library: needs to be built adjacent to a Campus district with a Library built, on flat land.
+2 Science, +1 Great Scientist Point. Has 2 Great Work of Writing slots, gives a tech boost to all Ancient and Classical techs.
Hagia Sophia: needs to be built adjacent to a Holy Site district, on flat land. Must have founded a religion.
+4 Faith and +2 Great Prophet Points. Missionaries and Apostles get 1 additional charge.
Hanging Gardens: needs to be built next to a river.
15% Growth boost in all cities.
Mahabodhi Temple: needs to be built adjacent to a Holy Site district with a Temple built, in a Forest. Must have founded a religion.
+4 Faith and +1 Great Prophet Point, 2 free Apostles.
Mont St. Michael: needs to be built on Floodplains or Marsh.
+2 Faith. Has 2 Relic slots, all Apostles you create gain the Martyr ability in addition to a second ability you choose.
The Oracle: needs to be built on a hill.
+1 Faith, +1 Culture and +1 Great Person Points for each type (Scientist, Prophet, Artist, Admiral, Engineer, General, Merchant). Great people require 25% less Faith to purchase.
Pyramids: needs to be built on flat desert.
+2 Culture, a free Builder. All Builders get 1 additional charge.
Stonehenge: needs to be built adjacent to stone, on flat land.
+2 Faith, a free Great Prophet, and acts as a Holy Site in allowing a religion to be founded.
Terracotta Army
(+2 Great General Points?)
Venetian Arsenal: needs to be built adjacent to the coast and an Industrial Zone district.
+2 Great Engineer Points. Receive a second naval unit each time you train a naval unit.

Civics shown:

Military
Discipline: +5 strength vs barbarians for melee units
Maritime Industries: +100% Production towards Ancient and Classical naval units
Retainers: +1 Amenities for garrisoned units
Survey: Double experience for recon units
Diplomatic
Charismatic Leader: +2 points towards earning Envoys
Diplomatic League: First Envoys to a City State count as 2.
Economic
Caravansaries: +2 Gold from trade routes
Colonization: +50% production towards Settlers
God King: +1 Faith, +1 Gold in the capital
Land Surveyors: 20% price reduction for purchasing tiles
Meritocracy: +1 Culture for each specialty district
Urban Planning: +1 Production in all cities
Wildcard
Literary Tradition: +2 Great Artist Points per turn
Revelation: +2 Great Prophet Points per turn
Inspiration: +2 Great Scientist Points per turn

Barracks and Stables are mutually exclusive within a Military Encampment district. There's more to religion v. religion play: at least 3 units, including Apostles, Inquisitors, and Missionaries in addition to Great Prophets. Great Prophets are not generated through Faith production (though can still be bought with Faith).
Looks as though most if not all Wonders have some kind of building restriction; they're not entirely prohibitive, but it might be difficult to account for many of the requirements in a single city, even beyond other space concerns.

GrandpaPants posted:

The civic cards kinda look eh, though. I'm worried that there's going to be an optimal set to work towards, but we'll see I guess.
Well, the intention seems to be that you'll be swapping them on the regular to adjust to your situation. Might depend on how much it costs to swap them outside of free swaps.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
18 Civs is no surprise after the last two games; assuming they keep the "core" Civs in, that's 5-6 additional spots for newcomers. Could be another first-time Civ for native North America and Africa to go with someone to represent Oceania.

Mentioning 'Leader' based bonuses is pretty transparently baiting the possibility of multiple leaders for a single Civ, whether at launch or not.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Hey, England, France and Russia got 3 leaders in 4 as well! And given the theme of the "third leaders" it seems like Germany would have as well if it weren't for that detail of wanting to sell the game in Germany.

I think the pro-leaders people like the variety and having a way to get different faces in Civs that are otherwise usually dominated by familiar faces, such as India and Mongolia. And with the leader policy system it could make for some more varied AI personalities.
Plus it'd be a nice hook for the Workshop to have a system in place.

It'd make the "access to four post-launch DLC packs that will add new maps, scenarios, civilizations and leaders" possibly more meaningful in having all of those items listed separately, anyway.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

kvx687 posted:

It sounds like Great People generation may be civilization-wide instead of per city now, which is an interesting change if true. I'm also interested in the Oracle's ability of reducing the faith cost of patronizing great people, is that just a decrease in the cost for faith-buying great people or is there another new mechanic I've missed?

From what I've seen, the mechanics for Great People are that they work sort of like the Founding Fathers of Colonization. Your Great Person Points get banked civilization-wide, and you can buy the appropriate GP at any time once you have enough points - but it's a shared pool of GP that any Civ can buy, and the price goes up universally in a category once the current GP is purchased. That is, there's a specific (random) Great Admiral, Artist, Engineer, General, Merchant, Prophet and Scientist listed at any one time.

You aren't forced to buy the latest GP if you don't want to, though; each GP has their own special effects beyond the general use of their type, so, like, if El Cid is the current Great General up for grabs, but you really wanted Cao Cao, you could wait and see if he pops up next. You can see how close any (known) Civ is to buying a GP on the info screen, too.

Faith is an alternative pool that you can buy GP with, and the Oracle reduces that cost.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Gwaint posted:

They've unveiled America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vVGQThK01M

UA: Founding Fathers: Shortens time to earn legacy bonuses from governments
Leader Ability: Combat bonus on own content, extra Tourism from National Parks, Rough Rider Unit (Culture from kills on own continent, combat bonus on hills, lower maintenance)
Unique Unit: P-51 Mustang: Extra range, combat bonus vs Fighters
Unique Building: Film Studio: provides more Tourism in the Modern Era.

Also Hojo Tokimune is the leader of Japan according to a German magazine.

EDIT:

I like how he's got the Triforce on him

Well, it is the Hojo family emblem and all. Let's see, Tokimune consolidated the bulk of Japan's political power within the Hojo clan, popularized Zen Buddhism and Bushido amongst the warrior class, and was in charge of repelling Kublai Khan's advances on the nation. Maybe his agenda will be religious isolationism?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Eiba posted:

Wait, so this pretty much explicitly confirms multiple leaders per civ, right?

They said "America gets" for the Founding Fathers ability, Mustang unit, and Film Studio building... And "Roosevelt gets" for the combat bonus on home continent, Rough Riders unit, and extra culture from national parks.

That's pretty impressive all around. It's the least half-assed way to do it- basically giving an additional full civ's set of bonuses (ability/unit/building) for each leader.

Not in the base game, as far as I've heard - Ed Beach mentioned they had 18 Leader Agendas to program and there are 18 Civilizations at launch. But it could mean that the framework is there, at least. Maybe there'll be an Advanced option to pick any Leader for any Civ. That'd have some mix-up potential. Chinese Rough Riders! Cleopatra's Film Studios!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Our first full look at Qin Shi Huang, too.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You know, with the game coming out on Oct. 21, there's 17 weeks left and 17 more civilizations they haven't unveiled all the details for. It'd be quite fitting if they did a weekly spotlight from this point on; I remember following the Civ 3 website for when they'd feature all the Civs.
Probably worth checking their channel next week, anyhow.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Victoria is still a prior leader, though. Theodore and Tokimune are the only series newbies so far.

It does rekindle hope to people wanting a change from Gandhi. Maybe Asoka will return from IV.
It'll be interesting to see who helms Spain in light of this; Philip II's technically been their only other ruler in the main series.

StashAugustine posted:

Can't get Youtube, what're her abilities?

UA- British Museum - Archaeological Museums have extra Artifact slots, and each Museum gives more Archaeologists.
UU- Sea Dog - can capture enemy ships
UU- Redcoat - stronger when fighting on a continent other than the capital city's continent, and can disembark without using a movement point
Unique District - Royal Navy Dockyard - bonus movement for naval units built there, bonus gold for Dockyards on other continents, and Great Admiral points.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 28, 2016

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Civ 3's corruption measures were meant to combat the rampant ICS of the prior titles, but due to the mechanics, it just encouraged the strategy again.

Civ 1 cities could be placed directly next to each other, though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

According to the civfanatics guys, we have an agenda for Japan: tokimune likes anyone with a strong army, provided they also produce lots of faith or culture. A pretty good fit for a leader who fought off a few Mongol invasions!

Apparently the same article confirmed building districts with Faith.

Also, new mechanics video today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQzQR9SKYQo

Builders replace both Workers and Work Boats.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The day/night cycle is purely cosmetic, and can be set to specific times if you'd like to play in full daylight or eternal twilight.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Checking out the channel to see if they've put up the next Civ reveal yet, I noticed they've started Wonder videos since last Wednesday. Nothing too informative, it's just watching them all get built, but hey, maybe they'll show off something new sometime.

The Pyramids
The Great Library
The Eiffel Tower

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Egypt's theme seems to be Wonder-centered wealth this go around; they don't get the Ancient/Classical Wonder rush boost of Chinese Builders, but they get accelerated Wonder building in all eras, and with Faith acting as another fairly all-purpose currency (and Culture as a second "Science" track), it'll probably be worth it to toss around at least a few Sphinx improvements. The double boost to Gold from trading should also keep them flush with material wealth.

Appears like a fairly well-rounded builder Civ; not particularly aggressively or defensively inclined (beyond the natural defenses that crossing rivers provides), but flexible through purchasing power.
A.I. Cleopatra looks to be destined to clash with A.I. China (and A.I. America if on the same continent).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
SURPRISE EARLY LOOK: JAPAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diEavgTOIA8
Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yHo_ZLmy94 for the official International subbed video, rather than 2K Japan's hard-subbed version.

The narrator is still English.

Unique Ability: Meiji Restoration - Extra bonuses for Districts built next to each other.

Leader Ability: Divine Wind - Land units get a combat bonus for fighting next to the coast, Naval units get a combat bonus for fighting in shallow water tiles.

Unique Unit: Samurai - don't lose combat strength when they take damage. (Unlocked by Military Tactics technology)

Unique Building: Electronics Factory - (replaces Factory in Industrial Zone Districts) provides bonus Production and Culture to nearby cities (not just its home city).

Hogama fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 8, 2016

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

What is the historical context for this? Seems like it would make it difficult to invade Japan.

The kamikaze (lit. divine wind) referred to the typhoons that ravaged Kublai Khan's naval invasion force (on two separate occasions), but the storms didn't do all the work alone; the Japanese ships of the time were more adapted to the local waters and picked off stragglers in the first invasion attempt. Still, the Mongolian assault had initially gained some traction. In the second invasion, the Japanese coastal defenses were much more well prepared and the Mongols were soundly repulsed by the land forces.

So it mostly seems to reflect the human element of the time, which makes sense as it's Tokimune's ability and he was more or less in charge of the country (such as it was) at the time.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A couple of new Eurekas can be seen, too.

I know they'd mentioned that wars would start getting more complex as the eras advanced but as far as I recall this is the first time an actual casus belli system has been explicitly referred to in game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As far as I've read, you'd already have the Eureka without directing your research to Currency. That or it'd store the objective as complete to be applied as soon as it's relevant. Either way, it's not something you have to worry about doing during research.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Here's the video it's from, by the by. (Teddy Roosevelt speaks at 1:57!)

Knowing how much effort goes into Leader models and animation, it might not be feasible to make alternate Leaders as opposed to new Civs, but with as many new choices for Vanilla as they have, Firaxis might find it justifiable to have some kind of pack for previously established figureheads later on. (It's the only way India will ever get anyone besides Gandhi, too.)

In any case, Isabella of Portugal seems a curious pick (especially if that is indeed supposed to be Phillip II in the last row)- perhaps it was an accident when they were looking for pictures of Queen Isabella of Spain? That portrait shows up in the top ten images searching Queen Isabella of Spain. But then again, it could be deliberate.

Saw a guess for Ardashir I of Sassanid Persia for the last of the third row (don't think the picture matches, but it might be interesting). Also Genghis Khan or an Ottoman.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Civilization is about immortal avatar aspects representing their nations, comprised of peoples with special powers others cannot wholly replicate, in a blank slate cage match fight to victory. Picking a Civ is less simulating a country and more akin to choosing a fighting game character.
What I'm saying here is that I haven't seen any compelling evidence that Civilization's Dom Pedro II can NOT emit an electrical current from his body at will.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf_U-mbM6zA
The Art of Civilization VI.

People have already been pouring over screens- it seems to back up some of the leaders (including a split-second Roman appearance).

Tsingy De Bemaraha shows up at 0:18 - another Natural Wonder.

Frederick Barbarossa on the far right.

Beturbaned leaderhead shows up by Hojo.

Who's this?

Long nose and hairline suggests Trajan, though I guess it could be a caricature of Julius, too.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Someone also pointed out that the civet on the leader board might actually be a hint at CIVETS (an acronym for six favored emerging markets) - Colombia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Egypt, Turkey, South Africa.
It might just be over-analyzing at this point, particularly if 22 heads correspond to 18 base civs + 4 post-launch DLC, but perhaps it's where they're looking for the next DLC wave/expansion?

Also, there's this, too.

As the player is apparently the Aztecs at the time (a city name that may be Cempoala is seen), it could be Monty's face. Not that you can really make out the details.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
We clearly need to write a GUI in Visual Basic to enhance the video further.

There was no "Next time" in this release, so I'm assuming next week will have a new Civ first look again.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

Does anyone know yet what the difference between the special edition and the standard edition is, other than one giving Firaxis $20 more?

It's listed on Steam's Civilization VI store page, but you have to expand the section that talks about the Steam Controller bundle first.

Four post-launch DLC packs and a 25th anniversary digital soundtrack. DLC is possibly all like Civ V civilization DLC, possibly some straight map packs, could even be a snowball's chance in hell for leader packs. Details are a while off.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I figured that was a side-effect of having two Civ videos last week.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Dynastic Cycles' boost to Eurekas and Inspirations means bonus Science and Culture all game without specifically accelerating the production of either.

Crouching Tiger Cannon is resourceless.

Great Wall provides defense and gold early on and culture and tourism in the later game.

And of course we've known of Qin's extra Builder charge and rushing Ancient/Classical Wonders with them.

Seems like they're built around taking an early lead and snowballing from there.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
So technically the first time the Aztecs aren't included in the vanilla release, although given they're free for all owners (if on a 90-day delay for first day purchasers) it's more of a semantic difference. Civ V had Babylon as a pre-order bonus (that was paid DLC afterwards) and Mongolia (free DLC without a time lockout - but a month after release).

And for another observation, Montezuma I is the first revealed leader to be returning from Civ V (though obviously Gandhi's coming).

Kassad posted:

Wasn't it pretty explicit in Civ4, with the slavery civic being straight up described as "sacrifice some population for a production boost"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

thelazyblank posted:

You can for 3 months, at least.

Well, being a DLC, it'll likely still be able to be disabled from loading.