Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Real grognards are too hardcore for any kind of Civ anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Stop trying to make Hitler happen, he's not gonna happen :colbert:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Immortan Joe for the Australia leader

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, having nukes just doesn't seem like it has the impact it does in real life. Getting nukes should pretty much stop any non nuclear power from daring to declare war on you.

Then again that's late game and if we know anything about Civ, it's that late game is pretty much an afterthought. I think it was Soren himself on the Idle Thumb strategy podcast that said people in Firaxis actually considered having the game end after the medieval period.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 20, 2016

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

EE is also not very good in hindsight. The AI cheats like crazy and the graphics aged horribly. RoN definitely won the "RTS with the works" crown.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Civ 5 never felt very satisfying compared to 3 and 4. I think it's because the game kind of forces you to play tall so I would have vast swaths of land unoccupied and empty. Wars were never too difficult.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

i'd really like to see the same concept applied to other 'beginnings of civilization' scenarios
it's a pretty decent edutainment game imo

I played this edutainment game in middle school in the computer lab about leading a mesopotamian tribe. I've never been able to find the name of it.

It would be a cool dimension to add to a game. Starting from a kin band at the start of the Holocene, to a little settlement, to Egypt or Rome.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I don’t know why Korea is the designated science civ. They don’t really seem to have outperformed in science at any point in history.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

You could do it, but it wasn't optimal. It was just shooting yourself in the foot for no good reason. Just like VI, really.

It seemed like the only way to play V was tall. It's one of things I disliked about it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I'm still playing VI as V too. I don't settle cities unless the location is amazing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

i play vi like any other civ game, you want to fill the map with your cities. don't leave a single tiny gap. if you don't, the AI will build one tiny city on your continent that doesn't even get the 8-tile "small circle" and then start spamming complaints at you about how you settled too close to them

And for my big fat Greek neighbor to periodically berate me for not going to war ever, even though she's the only other civ on the continent with me.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I wish there were a "stop bothering me!" diplomacy option, I just want to click in peace

:same:

And in Warhammer 2. Wish they’d stfu and leave me alone since they’re always bad garbage deals. Don’t call me, I’ll call you

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

How should I be expanding? I'm still used to 5 where I only ever had 4 cities around for most of the game.

Is there a certain turn I should be aiming get my second city?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Caved and got GS from Fanatical.

I don't remember barbarians being so hardcore. They spawn new guys every turn, and as soon as I kill one camp one shows up next turn. My army can never heal up because there's always a new fire to put out.