Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Justinian/Theodora (as in, both of them) would be awesome.

Irene would be even better. :getin:

Irene's just a low rent Wu Zeitan. For real though if Rome gets classical rome and the eastern roman empire there's no reason they can't finally throw China a bone and have separate Civilizations for say the Han and the Tang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Taear posted:

Germany's had the HRE and Germany too. Yet Italy has never been in the game. I guess italians don't buy Civ?

I always think their choices of civilizations are absolutely bizzare. And I really don't like Victoria ruling England instead of the United Kingdom.

Still doesn't hold a candle to combining a dozen very powerful and significant Muslim empires into a made up "arab" empire and giving them a Kurdish warlord for a leader. And seriously no Mongols but you've got Australia. And two leaders for Greece and a Macedon civilization. I don't even know what the gently caress they're doing.

I also hope they ban leaders from the last game from appearing in the next. So many good leaders are being excluded. Where's my game with Alfred the great leading an Anglo saxon flavored English civ.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Rome is in Italy too
Civilizations are not points on a map.

homullus posted:

I am pretty sure Venice is in Italy. Is your objection that they didn't name the civ "Italy", or that they didn't pick Mussolini?

Victoria is probably "England" for the same reason Roosevelt is "America" (neither being the actual name of the country they headed). On top of that, should they add another leader to "England" (i.e. Elizabeth), that person would not necessarily be a historical leader of the U.K.
You're aware that they're are other leaders of Italy besides Mussolini. Besides of which his point was that Italy was never in the game, Venice was but it's entire flavor is that it's a one city operation focused on trade. The nation of Italy is not that in the least.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 5, 2017

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

prefect posted:

"Rome" is often shorthand for "the Roman empire", which is significantly larger than a point on most maps.

The point is that the Roman empire was a vast territory that encompassed thousands of miles and millions of people and whose center of power only remained in Rome for a short period compared to the vast length of time it existed. Every game with Rome has the civ representing the classical empire of Augustus and Trajan. Saying it's a representative of a separate polity that existed a thousand years later after Mass migrations and annexations on the peninsula is ridiculous. It's like saying the US shouldn't be in since there's already Cherokee in the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't see how associating Rome with Italy is weird at all.

Because there's basically zero connective tissue between the two civilizations? The Roman empire wasn't an Italian empire for more than a century and had multiple emperor's who were born outside the pennisula and multiple capitals and center of power outside it. Like there are dozens of civs I'd see in before Italy but saying they're represented by Rome is just wrong

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

I think we need to just accept that civ is fundamentally a board game that masquerades as a simulation game, and any civilizations that are added are selected on criteria no more stringent than "Hey wouldn't it be cool if we did X?"
I really think this is the Crux of my problem with the series as it's being made now. I'd rather see a greater amount of slightly more generic civ's that're distinguished more by their AI than their abilities. I feel it would do a lot to better represent the many and varied cultures and empires in the world who at one time or another have all had massive impacts on the history of the human race.

I am talking about a pretty ridiculous level of granularity though...probably too much to actually make a successful game. For example I'd have a separate English civ led by Alfred who was a more isolationist power focusing on more cultured pursuits and a UK civ led by Victoria that's full on golden age naval expansion, trade, and colony focused. I'd also have separate Mameluke and Egypt cultures and put separate leaders to represent both Hellenistic Egypt and bronze age Egypt.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Serephina posted:

I actually have no idea what point you're trying to make here is. Admittedly, NZ did have an indigenous cameo with Maori warriors in Civ5's Polynesia, which imo is perfectly fair.

He's saying countries can only get in if they're majority white or were colonized by European powers. Referencing the inclusion of Australia nd Canada before say Korea or Incan.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Who the gently caress is lining up to play as Canada

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

That's true. I'd say "be faster" or else try to get the city in a trade deal (I forgot if you can do that in civ VI? But you can definitely do it in 5) while it's cheap.

There definitely ought to be some extra options for peaceful expansion.

Completely as an aside: does anybody know any games where you build a country, outside of the civilization series? Not necessarily with other players, mind you. My favourite aspect of civ is watching my empty land slowly be converted to a bustling landscape with farms and cities. Is there anything comparable focused on that specifically? Like a city builder, I guess, except for a country instead of a city. The closest I can think of are the paradox interactive games (but those are a bit too abstract to scratch that same itch).

Rise of Nations

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I fuckin love SMAC for its writing and tight mechanical/story integration — especially the way the endgame devolves into utter insanity with two tech breakthroughs a turn, Planet spewing mind worms everywhere, and planetbusters causing 2000m of sea level rise. I hated Beyond Earth. I'm looking for a new strategy game! Should I get Civ 6, Stellaris or Endless Legend? And how has 6 sorted out in the general Civ pantheon?

Endless Legend is the least poo poo and most lore heavy of the three...I wouldn't exactly call it great but each faction is different and has their own story so it's good for a few games at least.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Glass of Milk posted:

"How will history remember you? Learn more this Tuesday, November 28th at 7AM PT."

Looks like an xpac announcement for VI.

For this game? Not very positively I imagine.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd read it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Portugal had its chance to shine in 5. I'm still salty we don't even get Belgium and the Netherlands usually locks out a second lowlands country.

Why in God's name would you add Belgium. Netherlands was immensely influential on global trade, political thought, and had an empire that stretched across the world. Belgium was a mistake that lasted a little too long to correct.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Wow, harsh Belgium opinions. Fortunately all good Dutch things are actually Belgian, seeing as the Netherlands were little more than hamlets in the swamps until the Spanish drove all the affluent and educated Belgians out of Antwerp and Brussels. All the influence on culture, all the political thought, most of the money used to fund the empire came from what is contemporary Belgium. Willem Van Oranje probably did not even speak Dutch, seeing as he was French.

The Dutch had to fight for Independence. "Belgium" is a disgusting abortion of towns and cities that the great powers had to do something with. So they grouped it together to form a nation.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

WWI is the greatest period in Belgium's history, because it's the period where it was in it's rightful place. Under the heel of German boots.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Yes, they grouped them together with the Dutch from 1815 onwards. Belgians were so utterly revolted by this that they formed their own nation a mere fifteen years later. Not even the Spanish, French or Austrians could anger the Belgians as much as the Dutch did. And the Dutch couldn't even reconquer plucky little Belgium; volunteers dunked on the Dutch army so hard we made a nursery rhyme about it.

Remind me how many saxophones the Netherlands invented?

You're right. Inventing the saxaphone I had never considered. Belgium is clearly an A+ nation worthy of being include with the likes of Rome and the Aztec. What do you think there ability should be? I'm thinking maybe they can exist as an exiled nation within another allied nation even after they've been fully annexed, something that is bound to happen. Or perhaps double production of rubber in exchange for extra unhappiness. Although that might not be a good bonus for more "hands on" players.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

OperaMouse posted:

Julius Caesar called the Belgica tribe the bravest of all the Gauls.
He still slaughtered them

Taear posted:

As the famous quote goes the HRE was not Holy, not Roman and not an empire.

Ottomans and Byzantium are at least totally different cultures ruling the same area. Just make "England" into Great Britain and gently caress off the whole England Scotland thing please.
This kind of poo poo drives me nuts when all of Chinese history gets compacted into a single "China". I'm not even a
Sinophile but c'mon guys.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 21, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

It's 'cause they wanna keep selling their game in China lol. I'd be down for separate Han/Tibet/Cantonese civs but that's a big market you're dropping by implying unfortunate things about China's territorial sovereignty

Just separate it into Han Tang and maybe like a Qing or Ming if you need a third. Also a Tibet civ representing the Tibetan empire would be rad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't follow this game. Any word on a sequel, I love the franchise but don't gently caress with VI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Old World is the best Civ like since Call to Power II. It's biggest strength is its focusing down into one smaller period and place, this is also its greatest weakness compared to Civ.