Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

After having not played Civ5 since Civ6 has been out, I've decided to go back and play it. And I have to say that I vastly prefer 5 over 6. According to Steam I played 1200 hours of Civ 5 and 1100 of Civ 6, just to paint a picture.

The main thing I like more is the fact that the game isn't asking you to click all the drat time on something. having no districts or governors to micro-manage makes the game feel so much more pleasant. Also, the AI seems better in waging war and taking cities.

Ok, thanks for listening!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

As mentioned before, I went back to Civ 5. And speaking of war, I completely forgot that the AI is pretty good at AI v AI war. Now in the modern age and they're still taking cities from each other. Egypt managed to conquer the entire African continent on a huge Earth map with tanks and airplanes. I've never seen this happen in Civ 6, which is reason enough for me to never return to the latest installment.

Civ 1 is still a very good game to me. I started up a game last year for old time's sake, and I lost my capital in the first 15 turns because of barbarians. I forgot all about how that game works. And Civ 1 still looks prettier than Civ 4!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

of course not, are you high?

Maybe I'm high, maybe I'm not but I checked google images in case my memories were fogged and I still stand by my opinion. Prettiest Civ game maybe.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

One thing I fondly remember from Civ 2 is being able to take cities with naval units. I did that a lot. Just floating by a city and seeing it has one wounded garrison unit... well, I ain't busy, I could eat a city

You can do this in Civ 5 + 6 as well though?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I really haven't played those. I'm probably stuck at IV forever.

But I thought modern games had some weird thing where land units "embarked" and just sort of floated across the sea? Was I mistaken? That turned me off during previews because I'm a naval nerd but I don't know if that's still a thing

Yeah, 5+6 do that thing, it's true. I agree with you, though. I sometimes play Civ 4 too and I enjoy the logistics part of building enough transport ships for naval invasions.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Is the OP up to date on AI being dumb and single-player being bad, or did they address that at some point since?

They did address it several times but AI still be dumb

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I mostly stopped playing because starting from the modern era, the game just turns into a cookie clicker.

I do have 800 hours played, but almost always stopped right before the modern era.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The Human Crouton posted:

VI got worse with every expansion. Governors added more busy work, ages added more timers that diverted from the actual long term goal of the game, disasters added more randomness, and rock bands were one of the most inelegant things I've seen in a game. None of this was fun.

I'm fine with VII being less feature complete at launch as long as it means they don't have to scrape the bottom of the idea barrell for new features to include in expansions.

I agree with this. I may have close to 1000 hours on Civ 6 but I still think that after the renaissance, the game turns into a cookie clicker. Just busy work non-stop, at every turn there's some kind of banality to click on.

Civ 4 is great but is missing some QOL items that Civ 5 + 6 introduced, making it feel slightly dated. Civ 5 had just the right amount of clicking around. Also, I enjoy 1UPT.

I hope Civ 7 gives it a bit more of a simulation feel and improves diplomacy and politics, and adds a good revolution/colony mechanic.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

hybridnoisebloom posted:

finally got civ 6 now that it's on game pass and i really like the way they've solved the "strategy game on a controller" problem honestly. although i don't know what half the buttons on the UI do and there's no tooltips to tell me (i'm sure this info is in the tutorial, i just can't be hosed). i put like 3 hours into it in one sitting and still don't really know what i'm doing. but i'm having a great time!

You can activate tooltips by pressing the 'options' button on the Xbox Series version while you have something selected.

But I agree, it plays great on console. And this coming from someone that has been playing Civ since the early 90's. Only thing is the absence of mods, which is kind of a big thing. But I actually prefer playing the game with a controller.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Prism posted:

Do you know if you can install Steam Workshop mods to play Civ 6 with a controller on the Steam Deck? Never tried. Might have to.

I don't know much about the Steam Deck but I would imagine you'd still be moving around a mouse cursor, right? The console interface is really well done, you're not really pointing and clicking anymore. It's all shortcuts now.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Civ 7 when

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Civ 6 has too much clicking going on. Recently I went back to civ 4 and 5, and it's crazy how often civ 6 demands your attention.

It's definitely the most 'mobile game' of all the civs. I still have close to 1000 hours in it though, but it's my least favorite in the series.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Agreed, and this leads right into the point I made earlier this week about the game having too much clicking every turn.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I just don't think when you're at the the end game you need to be the one clicking through every single worker and unit out there.

Agreed. Why should an immortal god-emperor concern themselves with such banalities.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm watching a livestream of Gamescom and they're showing gameplay of Ara : History Untold.

So far, this game looks amazing and looks to be a welcome competitor to Civilization.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Tom Tucker posted:

No civilization-style game has actually effectively implemented some form of mutually assured destruction meaning the turn-based system is utterly incapable of approximating global conflicts in the atomic age (not that it does so in earlier ages either to be fair)

It would be cool if the game would pause between turns when your enemy has launched a nuclear attack on you, where the only thing that everyone can do is launch their own nukes. Making it possible for you, or anyone else, to strike back before that turn ends.

Why does this not exist.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

John F Bennett posted:

I'm watching a livestream of Gamescom and they're showing gameplay of Ara : History Untold.

So far, this game looks amazing and looks to be a welcome competitor to Civilization.

Here's the deep dive, timestamped :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhel6pUIIQs&t=8453s

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Civilization VI : I mean it's a bunch of bananas

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

How does it control on the Steam Deck? Are you still just moving a cursor around?

And does it get hot?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Districts were a mistake :colbert:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Why would I, a smart and cool ruler, build a library outside of the city walls.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

COMMUNISM CANCELS EFFECT OF PYRAMIDS

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The Human Crouton posted:

In VI, you'll be doing some kind of reassignment every turn. Maybe a spy, or a trade route, or a governor; something will either ask you to move or should be moved to specific hexes every turn. There are things called Eurekas, which give you science boosts on a per technology basis. You'll be making sure you build a ship before you research X to get the booster for X, kill a enemy archer before you research Y to get the booster for Y in order to make sure you get the bonus. You'll be in a constant race to perform any number of specific, unrelated actions throughout the whole game lest you enter a dark age. You will spend a lot of time doing a lot of things that aren't related to your main goal.

This is my main beef with Civ 6 and why I went back to Civ 5. The longer you play the game, the more it turns into a cookie clicker type phone game.

I still have around 900 hours in Civ 6 though. I also find Civ 5 (and Civ 4 even more) to be much more suitable for roleplaying, which is my preferred way of playing.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I just want a good revolution/rebellion mechanic, branching off into new civs etc...

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

My favorite mod was RevDCM for Civ 4, really a lot of fun. Brought so much life to the game.
I'm not sure why Civ 5 or 6 never received a similar one.

I also think that the series needs 'levels' of war. Now it's either peace or all-out war, nothing in between. The game should recognize things such as border skirmishes, etc, with levels of escalation and de-escalation.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Civ 5's AI seems a bit better at least. Earlier this week on a huge Earth map, I witnessed a successful invasion of Scandinavia by Russia. It was a two-pronged attack, over land coming from the east. And simultaneously a naval invasion via West-Germany, while Germany itself was still in the game.

It was impressive even.

I also play exclusively on Earth maps, mostly as England because I get an island all for myself.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Bet they exclusively play WW2 scenarios.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Districts were a mistake.

Also, governors, ages, the new builders, the trade route system and the palm tree art.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

I feel like this would end up just as unfun as every pollution and global warming mechanic ends up being. Also the way the Civ games get balanced you'll somehow end up running out of all your resources four turns into the industrial revolution and slide into post peak collapse instantly.

I always felt that the Civ games should be fully customizable, with checkboxes to (de)activate options such as these.

Sometimes you just don't want to deal with all the fluff such as the environment and just concentrate on building an empire instead.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I hope the next Civ steals a ton from every other civ-like.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Later this year, Ara : History Untold will be released.

Ara and Millenium could both be contenders to finally steal the Civ crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Mymla posted:

think I might like a game like civ that just stretches out the ancient, classical and maybe medieval eras into a full length game with victory conditions, but idk if one exists.

I haven't actually played it myself, but I think that's what Old World might be?