Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Haven't tried it yet but I've found this:

https://m.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3s0ztf/step_by_step_vpn_tutorial_how_to_unlock_fallout_4/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The Freedom one didn't work for me as well, but this one does:

http://www.vpngate.net/en/

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

That day/night cycle is pretty cool, love how even the ambient sounds change during the night.

Also, this runs MUCH better than Civ5 on the same computer with comparable settings for some reason. It's all very snappy.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I too probably have to quit as Rome. It was a mistake starting my first game on Emperor.

Just settled a second city while Germany has six, two of them former city states. France and America both have four. America also just decalred war on Germany because Barbarossa keeps making GBS threads on the city states. Everyone is way in the classical era and I'm still ancient while Rome is stagnant and I have no science. France just started giving me the stink-eye as well.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The game looks and runs fine at a comfortable 40fps on medium-high settings. But my laptop is generating a lot of heat after a while.

Are there certain settings I can lower that can help this? Or is it something I have to live with because it's not a desktop?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

drat, now I want a Surface just for Civ. I wonder how it will perform later in the game on a large and busy map.

edit:

Roland Jones posted:

Well, had my first bug; as Saladin, I had a joint war declared on me by... Saladin and Tomyris. Except Saladin talked about me feeling the might of Sumer or something, so I'm assuming it's actually Gilgamesh (though I haven't met him yet). Bizarre.

There's been reports on Reddit about this as well. Sometimes the AI will accidentally wear your skin.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I suddenly don't like the new FOW effect anymore.

Thanks for reading.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Warmonger penalties start at the classical era. But classical for who? You, the one you declared war on or both?

edit:

Gort posted:

I kinda feel like there should be generic poo poo-tier lines of melee and ranged units that use no resources and that can be straight upgraded throughout all the eras. They'd be worse than anything that uses resources, but at least we wouldn't be seeing stone-age units running around.

I 100% agree with this.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 25, 2016

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Regarding the AI missionary spam. I turned off religious victory and it seems that the AI simply doesn't try to convert you. They build a few missionaries but they don't actually do stuff.

Could be just a coincidence of course.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

GoGoGadget posted:

Am I the only one that turns off every victory condition and turn limits and just plays the game to see what happens? I think I've completed maybe 3 games across my Civ career (not including CivRev, there was no way to not win or lose in that.)

I have always turned off victory conditions ever since that was an option. Going for a win in Civ games is boring, I just play until I'm done with the current game.

To me, Civ is more of an RPG. Sub-optimal plays can be very fun.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

On the technical side, this really is the most stable version of Civ I have every played. Not a single crash so far, no slowdown, no graphical glitches and everything is fast, including loading times.

Same rig as Civ5 but that thing crashed every now and then and was much slower. They did a fantastic job and I can't wait how the game will look like after the first expansions and updates.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Is it possible to lose money? I receive about +300 per turn because of being the suzerain of Amsterdam and sending all my trade caravans to it.

Also, looks like the best Earth TSL map pack from Civ 5 is back for Civ 6:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/ynamp-yet-not-another-maps-pack-for-civ6.25395/

It's Gedemon's Yet Not Another Earth Map, I exclusively played on it for my last 700 hours in Civ5.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Their opinions just 'pop' too soon, I think. For example, Barbarossa shouldn't immediately hate you whenever you do something for a city state. He should hate you for doing it a second or third time.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

But what is it?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Does radiation destroy tourism? If so, I could simply nuke Kongo who is about to win a culture victory.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Strategic view doesn't have the revolving beam of light of your lighthouses shining on all of your things, so it's unusable.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Even Master of Orion 1 had custom empires back in the day.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

No it didn't.

Yes, it did.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Or 2! But it was first in my heart. And that is what counts.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I've been playing since Civ 1 and I already think Civ6 is the best in the series. Yes, there are oversights, imbalances and even some bugs which will surely be fixed. But it's already miles ahead than Civ 4 or 5 were at release.

My first game as Sumeria was one of the most fun games I have ever played. And I have 1293 hours in Civ5.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

It's sad that you can't compare yourself to other civilizations if you turn off every victory condition. The entire scoring window is just empty. I just want to know how my army and science compares. I can't wait for the new Info Addict mod.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

You just have to own every capital.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

It almost seems as if the quotes were looked up by a bot and then just fed to Mr. Bean without being checked by a human first.

Also, I hate it that you can't bribe a civ to go to war with someone else anymore. I enjoyed being a puppet master in previous games.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Just found out there are also unique amenities. I have toys and jeans! :D

I received the toys from a great person but I have no idea where I found the jeans.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

drat it, wrong thread.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I wish you could nuke yourself and blame it on someone else, starting a formal war and uniting other civs against an enemy.

Or I can just nuke myself anyway and play pretend. It's called extreme RP'ing.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I agree that upgrading is too expensive. It costs 200 gold to upgrade to crossbows.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

And why do corps/armies look exactly the same as a single unit.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

So, industrial and entertainment districts share their thing with all cities that are not more than 6 tiles apart? Any other districts that do this?

Does this also count if there is water inbetween, such as two cities on different islands?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Ok, time to start planning my games a bit better. Thanks for the info!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

My game was crashing everytime at the exact same moment, when Gorgo AI was having its turn. Just straight to desktop, no error message. So I was thinking it was something the AI was doing which made the crash happen.
My fourth try, I reloaded again but this time before I clicked 'next turn', I declared war on Gorgo. And it worked! No more crash and I could play again.

I believe that my declaration of war changed Gorgo's 'plan', so whatever it was doing before made the game crash.

You can also crash your game by changing civics when the 'reassign trade route' window is open. So set your autosaves to every turn!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Religion should just be a passive thing. Let your religion spread naturally,. With religious pressure that you can manipulate with buildings and wonders.

It also shouldn't be a victory type.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Ed Beach himself said that they had permanent AI games running. Sometimes I think that's the only way they tested this otherwise great game.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

People seem to talk a lot about city specialization which was supposed to be a thing now, compared to CIV5. But I don't find the need to actually do this, there's always more than enough room for improvements and districts when not directly on the coast. Am I not doing it right?

prefect posted:

I'm going to try that out just because of "Improved resource icons are dimmed to emphasize unutilized resources". I'm not sure why you would want units sorting above buildings, though. :confused:

I guess that's something for the traditionalists.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Smaller maps, less civs? More RAM?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

greazeball posted:

It's weird, I feel exactly the opposite. Civ 5 took forever to end turn but 6 seems to get right to business and it's still possible to open city or science info while it's working. The under the hood improvements are one of the things I immediately appreciated about 6.

Same for me. I'm playing on a huge map with all 18 civs and even in the modern age it goes by pretty fast. About 10 seconds per turn. Much much faster than civ5 on the same PC.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Sanctum posted:

Kind of unforgiving in situations where your economy tanks causing you to lose a unit every turn even if it's just -11 GPT. Running out of gold also adds a 2 amenity penalty to every city. The penalties for overfilled housing or just negative amenities aren't some self-fueling failure cascade like negative gold is. I hope they bring back gold for disbanding or change the negative gold mechanics.

Say early Gorgo declares a forever-war on you, you are spamming military units trying to finish her off for good before your cities revolt from war weariness, and then a trade route gets pillaged and you drop into negative GPT. Now you have cities revolting and lose a unit every turn. If you can't disband for flat gold to temporarily stop the revolts and unit losses that's gonna be a game over.

This is a good feature and should not be changed. War is hell, man. This can also be done to your opponent.

Also, buy groceries instead of eating out every night.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

There's a mod that adds one.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I like builders and most other things in this game. Except for the 'AI did something we didn't expect' - crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

There's a new Total War?