Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It can be hard to compete with the heavy hitting pop history civs like The Songhai and The Shosone but I think adding a bit of variety would still be appreciated

Wasn't the original plan to use another, more popular native American civilization, but they couldn't get permission from the tribe to to use a native speaker for the voiceover, so they went for Shoshone as the B option? I recall reading something like that.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The article mentions that they were going out of their way to pick a civ that couldn't be associated with warfare, since they didn't want to have another "savage native" civ like the Zulu. Also they wanted something from the Western United States.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Civ is a series about immortal god-kings who sometimes pay lip service to democracy by rigging elections and becoming immortal god-presidents. I don't think that should change.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also why I don't think adding Tibet would really matter either way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Given that Civilization is in large part about making weird wacky alt-histories, having full-blown civs for nations that in reality are relatively small is not remotely impossible or a bad idea.

Most of the civs are pretty small, historically, because most countries were pretty small. Only a few European nations and Japan ever got really big into the whole imperialism thing, and even before that large empires have always been the exception, not the rule. Geographically speaking, Canada is probably bigger than most other playable civs.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The impression I get is that the devs consider Civ IV the best iteration of that style (stacking units) and are currently focused on improving the Civ V style rather than trying to redo Civ IV. The idea being that if you really love stacking units, you can just go back and replay Civ IV. It's not gonna get any better than that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The American leader will be Martin Luther King Jr, following the tradition of Gandhi.

I wonder if they'll phase workers out entirely. It never really made sense that your average untrained citizens are capable of working the fields and/or mines uninterrupted for centuries, yet are apparently wholly incapable of plowing/digging the first step. And more importantly, it's a really huge hassle as you get later in the game. I've always assumed the reason they existed was mostly to give you something to do early on when you only have a couple of cities and aren't at war, but if the districts can replace that then there's really no need for them.

And yes, I know the article mentioned some kind of engineer, but the implication seemed to be that they'd do special things like make roads specifically for your troops (as opposed to the ordinary roads formed through trade routes). I guess they could also build.. bridges? Tunnels? Mt. Rushmore?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

When they say "rush wonder" I'm guessing it's significantly less of a boost than a Great Engineer. You'll probably need to throw multiple workers at it to finish in a reasonable amount of time at all (unless only China can do it at all, n which case, still).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I've played Civ 5 for hundreds of hours, but I completely forgot that wonders even had narration and music, since I always just click "ok" immediately. I really have no idea why they didn't just do voice overs like they did in Civ 4.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cowman posted:

I'm not too wild about the build charges but I completely get the reasoning behind it. It also sounds like my fears in regards to districts are becoming correct. Nice to know that not every building requires a district but I definitely see myself filling up most of the tiles in the early game and have the late game be mostly inactive turn ending. I don't see tile improvements being useful on anything other than resources since they'll just be overwritten by districts/wonders. Makes sense that builders have charges because you'll barely be using them anymore.

If it's anything like Endless Legend, you might be able to grow sideways and stretch your city out over the continent like a snake. The space restrictions of traditional Civ games wouldn't really work well with this system, but that's simply all the more reason to discard those limitations when making a major change like this.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Civ IV didn't have voice overs for wonders, they had videos where you watched the wonders' construction. You might be misremembering things.

They did voice overs for researching techs that kept going after you clicked ok. I didn't mean "voice overs for wonders," I meant "voice overs in general."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rexides posted:

Speaking of BE, didn't they promise a revamped Diplomacy system with the expansion? I never got it because I didn't care for sea cities, but maybe Civ 6 diplomacy will expand on that?

They did revamp diplomacy. You had different friendliness levels that you could pay influence to change, but only if you'd done enough things they liked (and those messages were constantly popping up as tweets that didn't pause the game: "I like your army," I hate your satellites," etc). Friendliness level determined how valuable trade deals were, and trade deals were also revamped to be passive empire-wide bonuses akin to social policies. The lowest friendliness level was war, so you could always tell it was coming long before the fighting started.

I guess generally it fits into that "the AI roleplays their personality" thing, as opposed to the AI playing to win.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I believe AI workers constantly change tiles back and forth between farms and trading posts, or something along those lines. They change their priorities dynamically based on what the nearby city is currently set to prioritize, which is especially obvious since puppeted cities are always set to maximize gold. I would assume AI civs change those settings a lot more than players would, since they have to rely on them instead of manual population assignment.

So, left unchanged, that would just mean that if an AI was given a CIv 6 builder instead, they would just use up all of its charges on the same tile.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

From a gameplay perspective, it's probably something like needing both Organized Religion and Architecture to build a cathedral or whatever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah its kinda dumb. I don't really see the point in having two tech trees if they aren't going to be mechanically different from each other, other than the resource you use to fill the bucket. That's a big complaint I had with Religion and Ideology from Civ5, both were basically just another Social Policy tree, put there to give the illusion that more is going on now.

I assume the idea would be that you could focus on one or the other tree and end up with a totally different style of gameplay depending on what kinds of techs you have available at any given time. As opposed to classic Civ where just shooting up the single tech tree as fast as possible would make you better at everything at once.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Even the most extreme and dogmatic religious fanatics can be pro-science. The Japanese army during WW2 worshiped the emperor as a living god and were even willing to kill themselves for their beliefs, yet they still valued industry and technology as the best way to demonstrate their nationalist superiority.

Conversely, secularism can also be anti-science.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hmm, I don't like the idea of Eureka objectives that you can intentionally shoot for, a la the "build three spearmen" one from the list. I had thought the point was to make things that happened naturally and/or randomly, mostly in regards to geography, determine what technologies were more attractive. Like, you start with stone nearby and Masonry looks an awful lot better relative to Animal Husbandry or Pottery. If there's anything you can control at all it just becomes another weird system for people to game.

Also, things that will almost certainly happen at roughly the same time every single game, like meeting another Civ, shouldn't provide bonuses either since that can only serve to make investing too many points into it too early a mistake.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 9, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gort posted:

My pet peeve about Civ 5 diplomacy was when an enemy player was allied to a city state, and then declared war on you. The city state joined the war. You now have two choices.

1. You conquer the city state. The entire world now hates you for your unprovoked aggression.

2. You put up with being raided forever

Uh... you do realize you can declare peace with any City State at any time, right? I mean, you have to end the war with their ally first, but that doesn't seem to be what you're complaining about.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

The Japanese leader for this game predates Japan as a nation. You can't take their choices literally.

Uh... no? He's like 500 years after they established a centralized government. I mean, you could argue about what exactly constitutes a "nation", but the idea of a single cultural Japan was well entrenched by that point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

According to the civfanatics guys, we have an agenda for Japan: tokimune likes anyone with a strong army, provided they also produce lots of faith or culture. A pretty good fit for a leader who fought off a few Mongol invasions!

Hmm, I wonder if all leader agendas will be outward looking. I suppose that makes sense in terms of the player being able to predict how an AI opponent will react to them, but it seems odd that none of the leaders will be isolationist, or focused on their own economy, or whatever. I suppose you could also try to use this to predict which leaders will be revealed.

IE: All the leaders need to be people who had famous foreign policies, in one form or another.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The fundamental rules of movement are a pretty basic thing that should be settled early on in development, but the exact price of moving over some specific piece of terrain is a minor balance tweak that can and should be subject to change right up until release. Or maybe even after release in a patch. It's no different from adjusting the exact hammer cost of a unit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hogama posted:

The kamikaze (lit. divine wind) referred to the typhoons that ravaged Kublai Khan's naval invasion force (on two separate occasions), but the storms didn't do all the work alone; the Japanese ships of the time were more adapted to the local waters and picked off stragglers in the first invasion attempt. Still, the Mongolian assault had initially gained some traction. In the second invasion, the Japanese coastal defenses were much more well prepared and the Mongols were soundly repulsed by the land forces.

So it mostly seems to reflect the human element of the time, which makes sense as it's Tokimune's ability and he was more or less in charge of the country (such as it was) at the time.

For reference, the more famous kamikaze, ie: the Japanese suicide pilots in WW2, was meant to be an allusion to this. They thought of themselves as becoming the "Divine Wind" that would protect Japan from naval invasion again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Second, because France had established the Agnatic Succession Rule within the Salic Law, EXCLUDING WOMEN from the inheritance of the throne, back in the 13th century. As a result, she NEVER was the RULING QUEEN of France, technically excluding her as a potential leader for Civ representation (that aparently was not enough to stop Firaxis)

Gandhi.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Senerio posted:

Can't watch the video right now, someone sum up his Uniques?

Also post a screenshot of him (and Qin too, for that matter)?

Unique Ability: Extra Happiness (Amenities) from luxuries, bonus to military unit power from luxuries.

Unique Building: happiness/faith thing in entertainment districts

Leader abilities: Early game unit that turns any defeated unit into a worker. Workers can rush districts.

Edit: The general theme being that you support early growth through captured slave-workers and support mid or late-game conquest through bonus happiness.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 21, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Brazil is still around while the Incas are not. Clearly that means they won.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

thelazyblank posted:

Those sound neat, but it does make the Generals/Admirals less valuable, which can suck.

They provide an additional bonus when they retire.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gort posted:

I mean, I haven't seen any numbers, but Victoria calling you up, saying she's impressed, and smiling at you while delivering a message sounds like she likes you. Civs that like you tend to co-operate more with you, which means that if you're already winning by some metric, the diplomatic game design makes the game easier for you. If it was human players they'd be saying stuff like, "Jeff's out in front in tech - he'll have artillery soon. Let's clobber him first."

I don't think "Victoria hates you for being on a continent she isn't on" makes any sense either, so I guess we agree on that. It seems like a bad choice to try and get an AI to spread their empire as indefensively as possible, as well.

In the game they were playing, she still disliked the player even after saying that. It mitigated some of the larger penalties she already had, but overall she still hated them after saying that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gully Foyle posted:

Keep in mind that 'continent' means something different in Civ VI. It's not just 'part of the same landmass', but are rather defined and named areas in the game. I'm not sure what the algorithm is, but even Pangaea maps are reported as having multiple different continents. So things like the American bonus for fighting on the home continent or the English Redcoats bonus for foreign continents can come into play differently even for Pangaea.

As for the AI/spreading wide in Civ 6, who knows? With local happiness/amenities, at least, I haven't seen a reason to not go wide yet, unless they keep the Tech/Culture penalties.

They said they try to make continents have 2-3 starting civs in them. So I'd imagine they just draw a rough circle around those civs and call it a day.

Flavor-wise it's supposed to be the border between Europe and Asia.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I've been playing a multiplayer card game a lot recently, and cozying up with the strongest player before betraying them at the end is one of the most common strategies used by actual humans trying to win. It makes way more sense than attacking the strongest player and dying immediately.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Rather than twice as many cities, I suspect you'd just make it so cities had twice as much area-of-control, but half as many useful tiles (so half the tiles would have no useful output at all, say). Which is pretty inelegant.

A slightly more elegant solution would be to have the city grow twice as fast, but each tile has half the output.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

"And then it was winter for the next 10 years."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Greek Civ this time is thematically a loose alliance of city-states and their leader screen is Gorgo and Pericles arguing with each other about everything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Aerdan posted:

Except it tries to be a spiritual successor to SMAC while also providing a more generic environment. That's part of why it's boring: the factions have no flavour except in the civilopedia, so it's hard to care. The VAs reading the tech quotes sound fairly bored, too, and then there's the lack of dialogue for buildings... It's a bland puréed mess.

Before release, they'd continuously avoided saying that they wanted to be a spiritual successor to SMAC. I mean, it's easy to take that as PR speak, but they were very conscious about not wanting to be directly compared to that game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Every single win condition is "well, I'm already scientifically dominant but I have to sit here for up to 50 more turns until the game says it's over."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Holy sites are a basic type of district. This means they can't build shrines or temples either.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's unclear to me how you'd even get a Great Prophet without any faith/great person point generator buildings though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Some districts also get adjacency bonuses for things like being next to forests or farms, so it's not like they completely replace improvements, even for tall cities.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Krazyface posted:

I haven't had a chance to look at the video yet. How do legions build roads? One tile at a time? Isn't that really powerful, given that no other faction can build roads without trade routes?

They've implied that there's another unit called a Civil Engineer that will handle building roads manually. But they're more expensive/high tech than builders.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've always thought it would be cool if they made the cultural tree of roughly equal importance to the science tree, so that instead of there just being one obvious thing to sink stuff into there would be at least two.

Probably an order of magnitude harder to balance though.

That is exactly what they're doing in Civ 6.

They shifted a bunch of "cultural" techs like government, organization, and art into a Cultural tree, and you learn them by building culture.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, some of the early examples were than you unlock cultural-type buildings like Coliseum in the Culture tree, as well as things like combining units into armies. Even if it doesn't directly unlock units, it's still a tree.