Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it woulda been cool if we got an actual sequel to alpha centauri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Hey look its the game that started the trend of papering over trash mechanics with writing.

the gameplay was good and it actually had good writing unlike all those games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

not really tbh it was pretty unbalanced everywhere

single player games don't have to be balanced to be fun it made crushing miriam early on (which anyone would want to do anyway) easier.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fuligin posted:

For those who are interested, last March was Civ's twenty fifth birthday and the strategy game podcast Three Moves Ahead had Jon Shafer (lead dev on Civ V) and Soren Johnson (lead dev on IV) on to talk about the series. If you're a fan it is pretty interesting! Good parts include a giant hate-on for espionage mechanics and Shafer talking about how V was conceived as a test bed for new mechanics after IV "perfected" the old formula started by II.

is shafer's game ever coming out

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish there was a rise of nations 2. gently caress you curt schilling.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jastiger posted:

I thought they were Big Huge Games. That sucks. Rise of Nations was legit the best game since age of empires in that genre.

yeah he bought big huge games. so when 38 studios died it died.

ron has my fave gaming memory. me and two friends were playing and i had wrecked one friend and the other friend had one city left. armageddon clock was at 1 but the destroyed friend and me both had missile shield so it's all good.

the friend with one city chats "see you in hell bitches" and nukes himself.

game over nobody wins.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 20, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Rise of Nations had supply wagons that prevented attrition damage in enemy territory in a big aoe. Conversely if you were Russia and researched all the attrition techs and wonders enemy armies without supply wagons would get passively annihilated just by entering your borders it was cool.

this is why i played america and got statue of liberty as my free wonder.

i wish shafer's stupid game was out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i feel bad that they stole jon shafer's fog of war for his game.

lol at teddy being robotnik.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best thing in any civ game was nimoy reading the tech quotes.

i fooled you! i fooled you! i got pig iron! i got pig iron! i got allll pig iron!

beep beep beep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Except they really weren't in conflict with each other. In principle I don't give a poo poo that my neighbor is Autocracy while I'm Freedom

i actually do when i play these games. in say alpha centauri i always went after miriam not because she was bellicose but because i hate antiscience fundamentalists. when i play the civ games i tend to fight or goad into fighting the historical figures i dislike most.

Delacroix posted:

I think a contributing reason why other franchises died is because they have to pay bills at the end of the day (big huge :()

big huge died partly because they made a mediocre follow-up to one of, if not the best, rts ever and then were bought up by curt schilling and died with his lovely company.