Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Monthly updates, new civs/leaders/modes/other stuff every other month for a year starting next week with Maya and Gran Colombia.

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/1259860819946414080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

It’s kind of hard to parse what they really mean by new systems and what the modes really are. Like is the apocalypse mode an actual different game type I have to select or is it just an additional level of disaster I have an option for when making a normal game? If it’s the latter, extending older systems or options for some new ones, I’d be pretty happy.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It also sounds like you can buy them piecemeal if you just want a leader/Civ or two here and there.

But yeah after reading some more it sounds like the “modes” are more game options, so I think I’ll be happy with it. I like idea of crazier disasters, especially since there’s a new religious unit that can invoke some of them. That kinda stuff should be fun.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Looks like a pretty powerful tall Civ, though it might be one of the more map dependent. Sounds fun if you’re really into tile planning and don’t get dicked over with huge mountain ranges or islands.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Does anyone else play Civ V Vox Populi? I like a number of the new systems in VI, but it's hard to move on from VP in terms of AI/balance/pace. Mostly pace.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The corporations/monopolies/new district look right up my alley. And City Lights just got a new content update. Can’t wait to hop back in for a new game once that’s updated to this patch.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Looks positively awful to invade if they’re stuck in forested areas. Another highly map-dependent Civ, but with a bit more flexibility with the early woods planting. Sounds fun if you’re into the map-puzzle side of the game.

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/1352284822740328450

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I’d be super surprised if you don’t place districts on the map come CiVII with maybe a few changes. Hopefully they are finding stuff to build on because vanilla Civ VI felt much better than V in large part because of the various systems ported over.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The best part of every new Civ pack: New music!

One of my favorites in awhile. It gets so bombastic and spirited by the Atomic Age.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I think VI has been better than V pretty consistently if you think of them kind of launch-aligned. My only real complaint is that it’s just not as moddable at the moment so I still end up enjoying Civ V Vox Populi more. Hopefully they open up the .ddl for VI soon.

Edit: I forgot that City Lights has brought me around to VI more recently. That’s a great mod imo.

Anno
May 10, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

How is Vox Populi these days? And how does it compare to unmodded but fully DLC’d Civ VI?

I think it’s still the best Civ experience on the market, especially with some sub mods thrown in. I’ve liked certain parts of the mod better in the past (happiness and some religious stuff mostly), but overall it’s excellent imo. The biggest downsides seem tech related where you can see the mod stretching past what the game and/or UI was ever supposed to handle. I have about a 1/3 chance of crashing when rerolling a map.

VP is the only Civ product I really play like a competitive strategy game. The rest I usually play more as a sanboxy empire builder due to the relatively poor AI/pacing/balance.

Anno fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 29, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

Touchdown Boy posted:

What mods are out there worth looking into to? Ive never really got into anything but the ui improvement ones.

I’ve really enjoyed City Lights. It’s a pretty significant balance change, but if you’re into the map-puzzle of the game and building cool looking empires it’s great.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’ll try not to look too much into them saying “last update of the season” somewhere in there. But I’d really like another season unless CiVII is somehow right around the corner.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Civ works well as an expanding sandbox, imo. Just give me lots of Civs obviously, but also game modes, options etc. Keep piling that poo poo on.

Anno
May 10, 2017

There's a relatively recent hillier-hills mod that makes them stand out quite a bit more. Works with the Civ V skin, too.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Looks pretty nuts. But fun!

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/1372563516205449217

Anno
May 10, 2017

I hope they make more. Even if it’s not new Civs, I’d still pay for more content for what we have, more modes and stuff. Not $40 of course.

That or just call it done soon and release the full modding package.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Interesting that Kevin again emphasized “of the season” when the tweet last week sure made it sound like the last one for the game period. I’d gladly buy another, though I think we’re maybe at a point of diminishing returns with new Civs, and I’m not sure how they’d make non-Civ paid content.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Stefan Prodan posted:

drat, Khmer getting buffs? were they even bad before?

poo poo sounds nuts

This sounds cooler, at least. The martyr thing is really finicky. This is all about building big cities and building HSs along rivers for big adjacencies.

Anno
May 10, 2017

For Khmer especially i wonder if they’ve got some inspiration from Civilizations Expanded. The major adjacency for rivers and bonuses at 10/20 pops is something they have there, though it’s wonder production rather than culture.

Anno
May 10, 2017

https://twitter.com/boesthius_/stat...s1_c10&ref_url=

Anno
May 10, 2017

Civ V VP is the best Civ has ever been, imo. Especially with a few sub mods. I just wish it wasn’t teetering on an incredibly rickety technical platform.

Nevertheless, I can play VP India basically forever.

Anno
May 10, 2017

New mod out today from the same modder(s?) that made the (imo) essential City Lights: National Wonders. As you might expect it’s a version of the National Wonder system from Civ V implemented as tile-based wonders with some excellent modeling. Seems like an easy subscribe.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I don’t think they’ve flat out 100% confirmed they’re done, but what they have said would lead you to believe it is.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Has anyone played much in the way of the various overhaul mods that are out there now? I played about half of a game today on the Harmony in Diversity overhaul and it seems pretty good. I added most of the mods on their Steam mod list and it’s working out. City Lights I also really enjoy, though it changes much less about the game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Tomorrow

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/1592200691958923264

Anno
May 10, 2017

Seems like a fairly nice little thing to get thrown into the game I’ve already paid for. Hopefully they do come with some patching as well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

A part of his ability not that screenshot but on the website: “Receive a Wildcard policy slot the first time you capture an opposing capital.”

Anno
May 10, 2017

The wildcard thing wasn’t mentioned in their quick look promo either so I guess who knows if it’ll exist or not come Monday

Anno
May 10, 2017

Eh I think it's a good step up from the base game Cleo. The extra food/culture is fine if a bit uninteresting but the extra 2 adjacent appeal from floodplains sounds fun. Appeal is an underused mechanic imo

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I think the expansions were both very positive. I hope they keep natural disasters at least - anything that changes the map through the years is very additive, imo.

The one thing I would make them steal for Civ VII but know they never will is the orders system from Old World. I’d actually like them to steal quite a bit of stuff from Old World, but orders are the fundamental change that I think makes the game so much better to me now.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Oh another thing I'd like them to lift from Old World: let me choose my civ/leader after I begin the game. Especially now that there's such a huge list I sometimes have a hard time scrolling through and deciding who I want to play so I usually end up playing the same few. Let me load into the map, see what's up and then decide. I'm sure I'll play more different civs that way.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah all the features that impact the map are the things I think they got mostly right and I’d love to see return. Watching yields change as rivers flood and forests burn and volcanoes go off etc. really tickles my desire for incrementing numbers.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Eimi posted:

My main complaint with V is just how it encourages you to have only a handful of cities. If there's a mod out there that fixes that to actually let you settle more freely, I'd totally go back and give V another shot.

Honestly just play the Vox Populi overhaul. I think it’s the best that Civ has ever been especially as a strategy game as the AI is actually fairly good. All sorts of strategies are viable and many of the civs are more differentiated than is vanilla (esp if you play the 3rd/4th unique components sub-mod).

Anno
May 10, 2017

Idk I think it’s just what a lot of games do these days regardless of how things are going. Constant engagement is always good I guess. Like I think AoE 2/4 do a lot of seasonable do-“quests”-for-cosmetic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah that's almost exactly what it is. Probably the best "traditional" 4x outside of Vox Populi Civ 5 imo.