Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Some kind soul made an open source Civilization V clone

Mostly gameplay complete, the UI and graphics are very ~developer art~ but they're functional. Supports modding and most interestingly, there's an Android port. It runs in landscape by default, but it has an (seemingly WIP) portrait mode that allows for one handed play. This is what I have always wanted out of a Civ game on my phone, the ability to pull my phone from my pocket play a few turns and slip it back all with one hand. No compromises to game rules, no GaaS, lootbox, microtransaction bullshit, just a full fledged Civ game that I can play casually.

It's pretty cool, it even has the Gods & Kings ruleset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

:dong:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Microplastics posted:

However, I can see that being incredibly useful for PBEM MP games. I'm guessing it doesn't support multilayer though?

It does, though only with other Unciv players. The client isn't network compatible with the original game since it's a remake of the ruleset on an entirely different engine, rather than full blown reimplementation/reverse engineering.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's weird that people still don't get that being mad about other people being mad is just as pathetic, if not more so. At least if it's about as something as low stakes as this.

Anyway if Firaxis aren't scratching that itch, good news, they're not the only entity creating Civ games.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 29, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Good for them, though when choosing something to watch or play I tend prioritize what I find fun as opposed to what other people purchased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've continued to play UnCiv on my phone and I think it's damaging me. What if one more turn, but it's literally every moment of your waking life.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 19, 2023