Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

One of the worst things about Civ VI is that district buildings take a turn to repair no matter how much production your city has. Your holy site hit by a volcano? Have fun wasting 4 turns of your Rhur Valley production hub to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Districts visually should expand out into adjacent tiles so if you have a commercial hub and Big Ben it’s not just a giant parliament 100x the size of an entire district but a small one in a district now 2x the size spanning two tiles. But that would require context programming for district visuals which I get is a hassle.

Districts would be great if they felt like specializing but cities still “spread out” a bit more allowing blending of resources into the districts.

Also from a gameplay perspective I get it but there’s zero reason campuses should have adjacency to mountains hot springs or reefs. Campus output should be contingent on buildings happiness and economic output sorry.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Humankind city sprawl to me was the worst because I’d wind up just covering a huge swath of beautiful territory in 70 different “science zone” things which made no sense.

The tactical combat was cool but war weariness killed it as did the massive amount of cliffs and hills everywhere. Choke points and cliffs should be an exception not the rule there were never any wide open flat plains.

Game had some good stuff going for it did updates ever improve it?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Civ VI is the superior game with all DLC. Thinking about what the base game launched without in hindsight is pretty nuts as with any Civ launch. V was the same way.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I can see it being fiddly like district placement and such but a lot of that is doing things super optimized. On Prince you can just plop districts down wherever they look pretty and be fine.

Oh another pet peeve I have is doing the victory lap and having a list of 20 greyed out wonders I can never build because I wasn’t a Pell grant recipient who started a small business which operated in a disadvantaged community for 3 years.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I haven’t played Civ V in a while but my recollection is that the leaders and civs in 6 are also a lot more unique allowing more replay ability. Kind of a game full of Venices.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Every Civ suffers from a difficulty problem where, given enough time, any average competent human will beat the AI, so the only solution is to scale the AI way up at the beginning of the game to pose a challenge. At some point, if you survive, then you hit a snowball effect and win. Giving the AI more settlers to start is the most effective scaler because it allows them to scale up early faster and also deny landmass.

I feel like part of the problem is that the AI has to function at each of the different start eras even though I only know people who start on ancient. Thus you either have to code 10 different AIs with tons of opportunities for bugs and mayhem or make it more basic which weakens the AI.

Also 1upt really messed them up.

Districts are not so bad for the AI in my experience. It’s generally as simple as putting the district where it gets the most adjacency anyway. The problem comes in specializing, conquering, and defending.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Kalko posted:

Imagine if generative AI models could be applied to Civ 6. Actually, I haven't seen much talk about these new-fangled AI models being applied to actual gameplay anywhere. Have any developers been hyping them up? I wonder how they would influence competitive gaming too; I know chess tournaments already have problems with people trying to cheat by using their computer to recommend moves.

I haven’t seen AI models applied to games this complex. Generally it would be doable, a higher score would yield rewards for each generation of neural net, but there are so many inputs that the neural net would be insanely complicated and connections would take forever to meaningfully form in relation to what’s happening in the game.

Someone got an ai model to beat the first gym in the original Pokémon but again in that case the outputs are insanely simple compared to Civ and it only was able to do so despite not understanding how to switch moves in battle because one generation managed to get to Brock exactly after running out of energy for Tackle and Tail Whip which let the Squirtle actually use bubble.

Considering the raw number of outputs you can do on just the first turn of Civ neural net AI would be lost.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

khwarezm posted:

This can happen when their settler gets destroyed by a natural disaster like a flood before they are able to lay down their first city.

This should create a special artifact site

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

My incorrect Civ opinion is that if you only have an hour to play a video game before bed it is OK and Good to set everything to random and restart the game 30 times looking for a potentially engaging combination of leader and early geography before turning the game off in frustration.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah if you’re good at Civilization it’s kind of hard to lose even at Deity without setting yourself silly
tasks. Luckily it’s not that kind of game, really, and 90% of folks playing it will have a good challenge winging it on Prince or King.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I got a solid 20-30 hours out of Humankind. It hits the same itch but doesn’t scratch it nearly as well but could be a good change of pace if you grab it on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Civilization is really two games, if not more. The first one ends when borders become set and your elbows are bumping into all your neighbors. I find that portion of the game the most fun and often stick to it and restart as with Civ the snowball effect is huge and so it’s just a question of whether to conquer, win by culture, or go to space.

But that first bit scales really well with difficulty and you get to discover new areas and imagine the cities you can put there and see them grow and specialize. That hits the itch.