Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
the full civ 6 bundle looks to be about $20. i haven’t played since release basically. at this point in the lifespan of civ v there were 2-3 good UI/AI mods that you’d want installed if you were ready to move past the vanilla experience. are there any kind of equivalent mods for VI? i don’t have any particular issues in mind and i’m sure they’d have changed since release anyway, so i’m not even 100% sure what would need modding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
great thanks for those. i know it’s probably not ideal but has anyone played on a steam deck? my partner has one i can use sometimes and civ seems like, graphically, a good fit. not sure if steam workshop would allow those mods to be used in conjunction or what, i basically know nothing about the hardware other than to expect lower performance than a modern PC

i mean i know CIV has been ported to ipad before and it was kind of OK from what i remember, but

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i know this is probably a tired trope at this point, but man what a start. playing as João III portugal. standard everything, no gameplay/starting bias affecting mode

torn between settling in place for a bunch of production and immediately churning out a settler to take advantage of Mt. Roraima or trekking the 4 turns over to settle closer

game and map seed, if anyone wants that, 703564306

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 16, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i’m not opposed to rushing an aqueduct for fresh water but i did want to try to make my best cities coastal, or at least able to put a harbor down so i can take advantage of the international trading civ focus. maybe it’s just the kind of start where you can ignore the civ bonus because it’s so good

getting the super tile asap is the goal either way.

Poil posted:

City tile will constantly be demolished by volcano eruptions and those floodplain tiles will never not be flooded. :cripes:

i love trying to make the most of volcano yields but i imagine i’d have to throw that governor with the anti destruction upgrade into the city immediately and permanently

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 16, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i’ve spent too much time looking at the start and not actually playing it, but i like seeing what i might be able to do.

i was thinking a holy site could be dropped on the 8 yield tile for a base +6 faith which might be worth it with scripture and uh the belief that turns faith into production for a 12 faith 12 prod tile, but that kills that tile pretty early if i want to found a religion and still get uh work ethic, that’s it. then wat then cross cultural/world church as needed?

i dunno. i might just try one start, play it to 100 out something and then try a different start and compare

e: i settled the hill with faith just south of the super tile, locked my worker into the super tile, got a relic from a goody hut, got a pantheon on turn 10 and still didn’t get religious settlements

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 17, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
anyone know how to see the results of a goody hut? i know if i get a science or culture boost the icon stays in the pile on the right, but i sometimes miss the little floating thing above the scouts head and i’d like to just read what i got instead of reloading an autosave and duplicating all my actions again

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

The Human Crouton posted:

It's just not a good game though. It's easier to access and it's approachable, but in the end it's a 4x game and it needs to survive as a fun hobby past the first several hours. The reward for spending time to learn VI is just a better understanding of how much VI is disjointed from its own parts.

V is more synergistic in it's mechanics and overall theme. You are rewarded for learning each of its mechanics because they meaningfully react to each other.

skyrim is a bad game from a role playing perspective but that doesn’t stop people from putting thousands of hours into it. it’s core conceit isn’t good. in the same way, civ 6 might not have its core conceit down pat, especially within its genre, but it is still fun for a lot of people for a lot of hours.

i do like the 5 vs 6 argument here though because this is the same stuff people said about 5. 5 was the first civ type game that i tried to understand more than just bare minimum and all the same arguments of 6 compared to 5 are identical to the 5 vs 4 arguments made then

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
could ancestral hall also possibly be counting a captured city as founding one too?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
did unique units always lose their uniqueness when they upgrade? i’m playing nubia i think it is? ancient archer unit with 3 sight upgrades to xbow and only has 2 sight. i think i remember civ 5 keeping those unique attributes, civ 6 near launch as well but maybe that was a mod? seems real stupid either way

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Judgy Fucker posted:

And what's the 11 and 4 on the city's pop number (and what mod is that, too)?

iirc those numbers are turns until citizen growth and turns until border growth. CQUI and CQUI Lite both do that, maybe other mods as well

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

toasterwarrior posted:

This thread is a great source of gaming doomer-boomer quotes, ngl

they pushed out an update using base game rules (probably so it can be played on consoles) that broke mod compatibility so they could put an ad-ticket on the main menu. where is the inspirational description of what was shat out today

e: oh and apparently it's just reusing a community scenario/idea which has been around since civ3?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

E: Before anyone mentions Diplomatic Victory, that's the name of a checkbox to uncheck in the game options and nothing more, since I already have the achievements related to it. I don't think that the "guess what the AI will vote for then also vote for that" World Council is any good at all.

i was thinking about this. diplo can already be beaten by knowing how the AI votes because that whole system shows the stupidity of the AI even worse than combat. also for the first third of the game or so you can buy all/up to 20 diplo favor from each civ for 1 gold, making it impossible for them to vote for anything more than once. so for the cost of like an early game trade route, you can guarantee a diplo victory

it's there any way to salvage that system? are there mods that try? or if not, are there any that just remove it entirely?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i should both have guessed and have sat down to look through all that things options by now

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
when looking through the workshop i saw there was a mod to remove the challenge from the landing screen so i commented all the changes out of the MainMenu.xml myself instead and now the game loads in about 15 seconds instead of about 20 for some reason. good change

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

toasterwarrior posted:

Seriously, a banner on the main menu that's there to help guide players in case they don't know what's up and it offends you. What are you, a loving child?

there was already a banner ad in the main menu to help guide players in case they don't know what's up

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
why does my governor keep preferring a 1/3 unimproved forest hill over my 1/4/1gold improved mine when i toggle the citizens to production? the one extra production affects the turn outcome of the unit in producing, too

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i've got another stupid civ question: how can i tell what promotions a particular spy has? i had two spies both successfully complete the same kind of mission on the same turn and sent them back home. one had a promotion which means it needs to counterspy at home, the other needs to go on the offense and i can't tell which is which because the mission history doesn't differentiate and neither do the units afaict

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i must have a mod that unknowingly changes that. i use that all the time to tell apart my defensive vs offensive military units, but it's not there for spys. i'll look into that, thanks

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 16, 2024

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 16, 2024

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 16, 2024

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 16, 2024

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i'm pretty regularly getting to mid/early late game so far ahead of Diety AI that i've found i have no idea how to progress through that stage of the game.

regardless, i know the modding toolkit seemed to be limited it something in some way that made overhaul mods impossible or much harder out something. are there any recommended stop gaps to get the NPC to be a challenge after ~classical era? even something like regularly improving all luxuries and not spending 65 turns to build the newest unit in the smallest city would go a long way

barring that, is civ 5 the way to go? i want to say something like a BTS mod i think it was called was popular? not a fan of death stacks last time i played 4 ~15 years ago, but if that's the gold standard i could be convinced it'd need to work well with steam deck controls