Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

skooma512 posted:

Yeah, having nukes just doesn't seem like it has the impact it does in real life. Getting nukes should pretty much stop any non nuclear power from daring to declare war on you.

Then again that's late game and if we know anything about Civ, it's that late game is pretty much an afterthought. I think it was Soren himself on the Idle Thumb strategy podcast that said people in Firaxis actually considered having the game end after the medieval period.

That just reminded me, I've had an odd scenario play out once or twice on deity in Civ5 whereupon getting nukes, every neighbour's status changed into 'Afraid' for a few turns. After just googling it now, it seems more common early game on the lower difficulties and is totally non-nuke-related. Has anyone ever managed to capitalize on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Their implentation in Sellaris was really good - some civs spawned earier/later than others, and are bigger/smaller, resulting in politics as they band together or get eaten.

But whatever you do, don't play stellaris, it has many many issues that made me hanker for Civ5 and SinsOfASolarEmpire, which is telling.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Stellaris is the only Paradox game I've actually played, and it has outstanding internal politicking and fun narrative elements that are RNG based, but it is no Civ game. Civ should be Civ, it's a golden standard for the genre and shouldn't be hosed with. That's how other franchises died.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Well poo poo, I'm suddenly on the hook again for having to buy this pre-expansions.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
For someone who played it, what's the general consensus on Call to Power? I remember a friend playing it ages ago when we where kids, but I personally skipped it. Ie compare it to 2/alpha/3/etc?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Have they mentioned what happens to tiles that you build districts onto? As in, do you keep any of their original tiles yields? Do you flatten off bonus features like sheep/deer etc? The thought hit me randomly, that if that happens, the location of expansions would be almost irrelevant for tall cities; they'll be flattening out the countryside regardless of what's on it, which is a shame.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Get over it people geez. They released a civ who couldn't settle nor annex cities and it turned out to be just fine.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The AI banning lux annoyed me until I realized it only will pass against universally reviled players, and if that's the PC then it usually means that he's been steamrolling them for a Dom victory, and losing 4 happiness every 200 years ain't gonna save them.

Venice getting banned and/or wrecked in multi has nothing to do with it being a a good, fun civ to play in single player, where 99% of hours played is logged. This new civ sounds great fun imo, you sacrifice the ability for a single victory type, in order to get insane religion bonus' without ever committing any policies/hammers into religion. It basically sounds like my standard deity game, where getting your own religion can be a huge crapshoot & totally not worth it (and nevermind the missionary spam...), so I just pointedly ignore religion and carry on playing optimally. Except now instead of one lovely religion, I can get EVERY belief every taken by the AI? Sign me up!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The one thing I take away from the whole 'settler/builder incraesing costs' thing is that warfare is now a much better way to expand your empire. Capture a city stuffed with districts? Score!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Alkydere posted:

Also, conquered cities don't grow unless you a) get a peace deal ceding control or b) you wipe the enemy player off the map.

Yes, but they produce, don't they? And if you can take one city, you've already won the war. The city now not going up in pop for the ten turns it takes for the AI to stop crying is a better deal than what you got in Civ5. The standard smash&grab of civ5 warfare just got a lot more appealing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Sucrose posted:

Think this'll be patched anytime soon? I usually suck pretty hard at the game, so sub-par AI opposition isn't a huge dealbreaker to me.

*Glaces back at Civ5* ....Probably not.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The SC AI tournies limit the AI to having to use the same GUI as humans do, ie no 'cheating'. They're good enough to beat random scrubs, which is hugely impressive, but competitive players are well beyond them. Civ's problems have had nothing to do with building a 'smart AI', and everything to do with hastily cobbled together poo poo that's barely functional as a straw bag. See any other game, ever, on what normal AI opposition is expected to be able to do, regardless of 'cheating'.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Derail, but the mechanic in Dota for stun-on-attack comes in two varieties: the oft-used item which anyone is able to buy, which they gave PRNG to in order to stop those awful stun-chains as you mentioned, and the hero (SpiritBreaker), where they actually kept proper RNG for just because those rolling that 17% chance eight times in a row is hilarious. It's a feature! Edit: they changed it to prng. I am sad.

I agree about the binary win-lose though, nobody will every alt-f4 because of a Civ5 attack, but crap like city state coups where utter horseshit.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 16, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Additionally districts should scale up only by number of districts/buildings in the city. Empire wide malus' needs to die. It's not fun, and you should design your mechanics to be counter snowball instead of using a bludgeon.

Alkydere posted:

Either one is still better than the vague and unstoppable cost inflation via tech progression malus.

I actually thought I was in the Endless Legend thread for a moment, and was going to chime in that yea, the tech costs increasing kinda bugs me as it discourages acquiring niche techs (therefore rendering naval play pointless, good work there Tempest expansion!). Then I realized that this was the civ6 thread. Oh no, you guys have it much worse, so much worse.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The Civ4 (iirc) devs have gone on record saying why transport ships sucked; in addition to annoying the poo poo out of players it was a major pain for the AI and naval invasions/landings had to be special-cased, which players caught on to and abused. Old games did it for immersion reasons, new games don't do it for gameplay reasons. The few that do have it abstracted a bit, like Stellaris etc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Aerdan posted:

Aaaaand I tried to install Steam in Wine (with the help of WineBottler), and it doesn't work. :argh:

I really should just assemble a Windows computer again...

a) Steam works fine in Wine, I wonder what on earth you're doing wrong
b) Whyyyyy? Civ6 has a native client. Edit: is it to catch up with that PBEM game? That's dedication

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Truly, the most thought-out mechanic. Twenty years of Civ!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What? That's basically what happened to Warsaw

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Magil Zeal posted:

I saw a multiplayer game that used a mod that let you raze a city at any time.

It perfectly displayed why it would be a terrible mechanic to implement. Anytime anyone was about to capture a city, it disappeared (once they discovered the mechanic that is).

I think gameplay trumps historical accuracy or whatever else you use to justify wanting the mechanic in this case. It would be absolutely awful with the current way razing works.

Except the mechanic in civ5, the literal predecessor, solved that? Set a city to raze, it goes down in pop one per turn. Can't sell more than one building a turn. Cities under 3-4 pop where trash anyways, so no big deal.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Gort posted:

That's flawed too, as it doesn't scale with game speed.

Man, almost nothing scaled with game speed in Civ5. Not combat, movement, CS loyalty decay, etc. Playing on anything but normal broke a few things. If you wanted, adjusting it is a trivial thing; 2x speed? then raze at 2x, or sell 2 buildings a turn. The point being is that city captures & razing in 4X games is hardly new ground to be covering, and there's plenty of prior examples exist that where functional. More functional than 'you cannot raze stuff you own'.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's a very different genre, but I did enjoy what Sins of a Solar Empire did with their diplomacy system. SoSE is a RTS down to its toes, but the mechanics of picking an ally and working hard at becoming closer to them, and the huge bonus' you get for having an ally, are really interesting over the standard video game "Allies are totally arbitrary and can be made/undone at the press of a button".

In SoSE enemy empires have an opinion of you as is normal, but your empire also has an opinion of them that's independent of you as a controlling player. You can offer each other tiny missions (go kill X units from player Y, gift resources, etc), stop shooting at each other, send envoys to boost the other dudes' worlds income etc all until your empires actually like each other. These things btw are locked behind tech upgrades, so there is an opportunity cost to get them. Once you've got the appropriate techs and minimum we-like-each-other factor, you can unlock pacts, which start small like trading agreements but turn into huge OP things like "Each of us gets -upkeep and +maxFleetSize" or "All of our capital ships can now shoot at two targets, doubling their dps". Different races have different pacts at the same tier, so it behooves you to ally with someone who's different from you (and starts with a much lower Diplo score), and each tier can only go to a single other player, so you usually form a BFF relationship in the lategame.

It's basically a huge system you can opt out of if you don't care for, but allows you to invest time/money/effort into making a long-term friend for gargantuan benefits and joint victory. That such a good system is in a RTS of all things is galling.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That is really loving ambiguous

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ooh, link on where to do that?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I found the best way to get your value for money in civ5 wars was to engage in air combat. The way air works is you basically get to use unit stacks again, so the AI's overwhelming production advantages are actually relevant and are leveraged decently against you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, every time I get the gumption to actually mod Civ, I find that everything is windows-only, and is never advertised as such since it's kind of an assumption, eh?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Venice is great, and has empirically shown to help new players get their first Deity win, by reducing options and forcing them down an optimized path. In addition to cash trade routes and the obvious mega navy, I always enjoy going "Operation: Feed Venice" and see how close to 50 pop I can get. It's really hard to gently caress up Venice in singe player, just go ham and have fun on the highest difficulty you're willing to try.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Deltasquid posted:

EDIT: I eagerly await the Indigenous peoples DLC which will add South Africa, Canada, Quebec, Rhodesia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Portugal, Macau, the Netherlands and Belgium (lead by Leopold II, naturally.)

I actually have no idea what point you're trying to make here is. Admittedly, NZ did have an indigenous cameo with Maori warriors in Civ5's Polynesia, which imo is perfectly fair.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think it's just a default setting for me to have the first spy sit in the capital base murdering enemy spies. Once he levels just once, it just turns into a massacre, and I'm glowing knowing that they're sending probably 100% of their spies to certain death and waste. After the constabulary they also kinda let off. I think the spy system is fine! Except coups in city-states for 100+ loyalty, holy poo poo is that bollocks.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
(I have never played IV)

If you squint at it, sure, 'bribing' someone with your everlasting servitude could be considered that, but it makes more sense from their perspective just to bribe YOU to stop murdering them, and keep their autonomy. Civ5 was good (or at least not-terrible) at that; when you've carved your way into their capital, usually a turn or two after breaking their armies, they'll suddenly offer your the earth just to get off their back. Which makes sense! I could not imagine insta-vassalage to a 3rd party, that sounds so obnoxious. The only proper 4X game I've played with vassals was Stellaris, which was awful in more ways than I count, but it got the asymmetric empires thing down pat.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's difference between a carrot and a stick! Also the "Bribe to stop murdering someone" can only come after you've already started the murdering, effectively rewarding you for being a sociopath, with a satisfying (optional!) payoff at the end. Compared to warmongering... which just shits on you for being in a fight, win or lose. Seriously it's not comparable!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ChrisXP posted:

You may not realise that it's an option, but you could rent a virtual machine with enough power to run new games and stream through a browser or client software.
I have an account with Paperspace.com that combined with a decent broadband connection gives me a 'gaming laptop' for ~$20/month which works out a hell of a lot cheaper than updating my hardware.
There are obvious drawbacks, but if you meet the use case then you should look into it.

As cool as it is living in this future world we have, would there not be huge issues with compression artifacts and input lag? Gaming must be the one medium that such a setup would be insufferable on.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It gives two copies of a unique resource, can't be razed, and it's a good launching ground for military assaults!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's a lot of talk about just turning the other cheek when someone wardecs and comes for your cities. Human players obviously don't like that, we get vindictive. Same with any scenario, board games, 'game theory', real life. Even laws recognize it; if a man mugs you with a knife but you had a gun, nobody's sympathetic to the assailant's new gunshot wound. Tit for tat, turnabout is fair play, call it what you want but it's well known, and we have people in this thread saying that when the AI goes out of it's way to attempt to push your face in and take your cities, they suggest that you don't retaliate? Because that would be evil and wrong? Weather or not it's actually possible to roleplay as a saint is not in question, but rather if it's fun for a video game to demand that you take a slap and smile. The AI and it's diplomacy is an unmitigated buggy mess, and it's not unreasonable to expect the devs to implement reasonable warmonger mechanics. Casus Belli for a normal person would be along the lines of: You pillage my city, I take yours. You take my city, I take your capital. You killed my father? Prepare to die. The AI, just for being poo poo at it's own game, does not get a free pass to make unlimited attempts at your cities with no more retaliation than trade routes and a few tiles being pillaged.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

homullus posted:

I know, right? Children, that's why the so much of what used to be Germany is now part of former Soviet countries.

I'm not sure who taught you history, but Russia was taking and holding cities from Germany. Duh? I mean FFS East Germany/Berlin is basically your idealized Puppet City. You could not have picked a goddamn better example of someone poking the bear and getting mauled/puppeted.
/slow clap

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Prav posted:

4 has plenty of leaders who will wardec you just because they had a big army that was getting bored.

Let's be completely honest, this is actually the best and most reasonable reason to wardec anyone in a game, Civ or otherwise, single and multi player both.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yup on the linux thing. Also that gui is a drat cluttered mess.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've avoided Civ6 based on this thread, but for Stellaris vs EL:

Stellaris has a beautiful early game, and a strong sense of space-colonization. A lot of the fun is in the 'discovery' as you grow outwards and storyline scripts kick in and you uncover new mini-scenarios (personal favorite: trying to assimilate some cavemen and having a huge loving quest chain spawn from it). Stellaris has a wonderful sense of asymmetrical diplomacy, with warmongering empires (who spawned waaaay in advance of you and are huge) eating neighbors, and you allying with other friends to fend them off, then taking that federation to beat up the bully who is smaller than all of you after you've teched up. Then midgame hits. Then you hate the game. It's just tedious bullshit and turn-counting as you backfill your cognizable worlds, waiting for endgame (or the sweet sweet release of death) to come. My second playthrough confirmed all of this.

Endless Legend, however has super-fluffy prebuilt races&storylines, solid mechanics, and great replayability since each race plays so differently. The mechanics kinda throw you in the deep end asap, unlike Civ5 which was great for slowly rolling new things out over the ages. Diplomacy's a wee bit sparse, and eventually you get good enough to bump up the difficulty, which is needed since a competent human will roll over the AI in combat, and conquest solves all problems, all of which is much like in Civ.

I'd take EL over Stellaris any day, EL's been built to be more of a 'game' rather than paradox's 'experience'.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I bought the whole she bang (complete edition) for peanuts in a sale. Not sure I'd recommend it otherwise.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The giant units are a wash, but the legendary deeds are excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's funny, I have homullus on ignore but I have no idea why. Possibly a name change, but certainly from being an idiot in another thread somewhere. You can safely disregard anything he says