Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Didn't you just get probed for precisely this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's pretty good, but it's a bonus that fires once then you can let it go for a while. Other CS's can win you the game by themselves if you're even vaguely set up for it, such as Lahore giving you OP combat units you can faith-buy, then Akkad just letting you ram them through city walls. Or Yereven enabling an sudden pivot to religious victory, Carthage letting you buy combat units for near-zero gold, etc etc.

edit: I just checked the wiki, and meanwhile almost every single Commercial city-state is total junk, lol.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 30, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's unfair, as Doom2 is still actively played & has a dev community to this day. I wouldn't recommend Civ1 as a starting point to anyone nowadays, but in the context of that survey it was clearly asking about "was this a good game y/n", which uh, a dozen sequels later, what type of question is that?

Survey dumb.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

harrygomm posted:

mapuche has a man at arms in my territory, level 1 on an unimproved grassland. i get him down to ~1 HP and the next turn it heals about 50% of its life. it has nothing to pillage, it doesn't level up, there are no nearby units it is swapping places with, it doesn't kill any of my units, the dead sea is in the game but about 20 tiles away. all of my mods purport to be only UI mods.

is there a hidden leader, unit, or difficulty ability or explanation? i can't find anything. with the previous spy upgrade issue i had i figured a fresh install of the game and paring down of mods was in order so that's all very recently done as well
Possibly some global effect just fired off, some ideas:
-He built a wonder
-Nearby Governor
-Some government plaza building fired off
-Some religious effect
-But the real answer is it's probably some loving city state effect, inevitably.

Civ6 has a serious problem with this, I never really noticed it until playing a bunch of other games and coming back, the "modality" of all your bonuses is terrible and everything's hidden behind a few menus.

edit: It could have been an alliance effect, ffs. It wasn't, I checked, but holy poo poo you see what I mean?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
At higher difficulties the computer player will have more units which don't all spawn on the same tile, so the first settler could be off by a few tiles in one direction while the surplus warrior you met coulda been off in the other direction. Also free units from a goodie hut meant that it might have been a scout that initially came your way.

The computer players 'cheat' in some ways, but teleporting units is not one of them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well, the second Monthly challenge thing is actually interesting & fun! You start as Harald in the Classical era and have a few hard choices where to plant your first city, as the archepeligo has already been half-explored for you, so if you did a coastal city for longships asap you'd instantly know to find all the city states, and enemy civs don't have walls up yet and are easy pickings. Or you could go inland and have a pretty sweet religious into production setup, as pictured.

Honestly it's a very good newbie scenario! Especially with allowing for Heroes mode as advertisement to those who don't own it. If it wasn't for being bloody hardlocked to prince...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How does one do that? The only way I know of starting the game is via the big dumb banner ad, which doesn't ask for options

edit: Apparently there are two different banner ads for the two difficulties, sigh. How poorly done.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 16, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not gonna lie, after I restarted the current monthly challenge on Emperor and committed to playing it out, I'm having a blast and it's really fun. It really is a hand-crafted playground to run roughshod with your viking longships in.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I'm fond of Civ5 and really miss the cleaner graphics and UX whenever someone posts a screenshot, but I'm not sure I could go back to not having districts.

------------------

Been browsing through the wiki and web, got some questions/bugs:
-What the hell is the actual formula for Wall damage spitting? Nobody even drat well talks about it! I can see that the more damaged the wall, the more damage is applied to the city itself (proportionately? or just extra?), but I honestly have no real way of 'guessing' how well a brute-force siege will go until a few rounds of combat passes.
-Wiki states that ranged naval units don't suffer -17 strength when shooting cities, which jives with how effective frigates are, but I am 100% sure that my battleships once had this penalty in a normal game (I recall being surprised/annoyed about it, posted in this thread, then went and built a bunch of bombers). What's the difference/cutoff?
-The religious governor's "lay on hands" which fullheals units in a single turn, doesn't seem to work, or at least for naval units? Not even ones stationed in the city tile itself. Others on the net have said the same.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 19, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Public Relations (the greviances one) is kinda weird, as it's a double-sided sword for both resolutions. +100% to/from a player is a way of punishing a warmonger who's trying to 1v7 the world, as he's obviously generating more than he's receiving, while -50% to/from a player makes them a target for conquest from all neighbours. Technically the +100% makes it so you don't want to hit that guy, and the -50% means that he can hit you just fine, but the way the AI votes that's never what's going on.

Mercenary Companies is strictly about the cost, so +100% makes it more expensive to produce, while -50% on the buyout makes them cheaper to instabuy. Arguably both could be good for the player, but the AI often dunks on production/military when someone's been warmongering too much.

Why these things are presented as opposites to each other... I don't know. World congress sucks so much in Civ6.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Oh hush, it means the same thing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea starving cities are absolutely deliberate design, it's exactly why strategics are hidden, to cause you to have to move earth and sea to get ahold of them.

Having outposts would be cool too, but that's a very not-civ way of doing expansion. Works great for OTHER 4x games, like AoE Planetfall and such, but they've struck gold with districts and so they'd be mad to drop them in favour of the more radical evolutions.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It might not have been properly timed for the post you replied to, but it's a fair sentiment. Two steps forward one step back is still progress, even if a frustrating one.

None of the other 4Xs I've played have been been able to challenge Civ due to what I feel in hindsight is 'lategame play' - once you've already dumped ten-plus hours into getting good at the game and are now doing your second playthrough, is it still engaging? Does the competition provide enough tension, is the minutiae still fun? These are all valid criticisms of civ5 & 6, but in the other games it's just so much worse. I love ES2 to bits but the computer players can't build a military worth a drat much less aim for a victory condition, while various other 4Xs-of-the-day are just shoddy shallow junk.

It's probably a very expensive genre to make a quality game in, honestly.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
For a military game, keep the game small at 6 players max, avoid continents, and if keeping it land-based I'd highly suggest Basil II, as his gimmick of combining religion and knights is cool and zany strong. Read up on the wiki for the particulars of that interaction if you want, but once he gets rolling it's a very short sprint to victory, unlike most other domination wins. Can optionally do archipeligo for a naval win, allows for a bigger/slower game and lets you really appreciate how good harbours are.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Even at prince the computer player gets small bonuses to unit production and especially maintenance; as a dev explained, it's very hard to figure out which central cities don't need a garrison and can be left naked like human players do, so the comp players just needs units everywhere. In addition, the comp player has a much stronger bias to cranking units over infrastructure, as you'll notice when conquering their shitholes.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Platinum has the two major expansions (which is what you're after) plus a few extra bolt on leaders and their bespoke scenarios (which you will never play). Anthology is just EVEN MORE leaders and expansions, plus the 'leader pack' with was the most recent thing when they tried to push for more player engagement with online stuff.

Honestly, grab the base game, play it for a week, if you kinda like it, buy the expos, maybe wait until the next sale rolls around in half a year to buy the 'everything' bucket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I know that the clans get a guaranteed next-turn spawn when you raid their camp, and maybe accelerated ones if you're just sitting on their empty camp farming them. Maybe it's just that plus the scout spawns all adding up?