Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Is there anything explaining the new building mechanic? I read that you put down blocks and those blocks will build specific buildings but have they said if there's a limit to how many buildings per block? I don't think they would make it so that you can only build limited buildings but I'm still confused about how it's going to work. I love the new art style though, it's very cheerful and cartoonish :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

sarmhan posted:

It looks less like "only this many buildings per district" and more "this district can be upgraded with these buildings"
They've specifically mentioned the campus district gets the library, university, and research lab.
It looks like this has subsumed the old building system, although it still looks like the monument and granary exist as city-tile buildings.

I read somewhere that they also had tile specific buildings and upgrades, as in observatory is only on a mountain and pyramids on desert. I like this idea a lot but I'm really concerned about :

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And of course wonders also take up map space. I wonder if you can end up crippling a city's long-term growth prospects by building too many wonders around it early on.

because my playstyle is super casual and I always go for all the wonders. I'm assuming that'll be hard/impossible and I'm going to have to go for specific ones. I've no doubt that they're factoring in casual players moreso than hardcore grognards but I don't want it to be stripped down because of this new stuff. I liked all the buildings and wonders in Civ V even though there were a lot of them.

I also really loved BE and thought it was a fantastic game so :shrug:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

shadow puppet of a posted:

I would play the hell out of a deep sea tile-bound Atlantis and soak up the furor it creates among stack of doom reminiscent type civfanatics forum posters.

And if there is a Brazil then their should be a Canada civ with no issues of lineage or civishness

I want an Antarctica DLC where all your units are military penguins and orcas for sea.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I'm assuming that wonders take up a space, but are not counted as districts, so building wonders doesn't limit the number of districts you can build but does limit the number of hexes you can place them. Fortunately each city has 36 hexes to choose from, so it shouldn't be a problem unless you really want to build all the wonders in the same city.

to be fair in my casual playstyle the capital is always wonder city where I have literally every wonder in there.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Not letting workers stack pissed me off in 5. Building a road and a unit ends its turn in the way? Worker stops what it's doing and you can't continue the road. Happened all the time and it was such a huge pain in the rear end.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I'm not too wild about the build charges but I completely get the reasoning behind it. It also sounds like my fears in regards to districts are becoming correct. Nice to know that not every building requires a district but I definitely see myself filling up most of the tiles in the early game and have the late game be mostly inactive turn ending. I don't see tile improvements being useful on anything other than resources since they'll just be overwritten by districts/wonders. Makes sense that builders have charges because you'll barely be using them anymore.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Clarste posted:

If it's anything like Endless Legend, you might be able to grow sideways and stretch your city out over the continent like a snake. The space restrictions of traditional Civ games wouldn't really work well with this system, but that's simply all the more reason to discard those limitations when making a major change like this.

If that's the case then that's pretty cool and I'm more interested. Far as I know they haven't said anything about that style of expansion.

Taking a look at the gameplay video, the way that the main city Xi'An is set up he only has 9 remaining land hexes to put districts/wonders on, 12 if there's some for mountains. When he puts the Academy district down, you can see that there's tile bonuses. If there's not a way to move districts then I definitely would see myself screwing early cities out of optimal/mandatory district placements. I don't know how many districts there will be in the final game but the cities are probably going to end up being limited and specialized which could either be fun and interesting or extremely aggravating. I'm still not entirely sold on the district and wonder placement especially because the gameplay video is very early game and he's already filled up almost half his tiles with wonders, districts and improvements. If it's that quick to fill up then I don't have high hopes for the late game to be interesting.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 26, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I really hate that I can't tell the AI to gently caress off from my borders. They'll start putting units on my border and then leave them there for a while and won't go away. They also get mad when they build a city close to mine and I put troops in my border on the edge because they think I'm preparing for war or something. It's really incredibly annoying.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

enraged_camel posted:

It also sucks not being able to tell the AI to leave a city-state alone because you're their suzerain. I played a game where I invested a whole bunch of time and resources allying with city states and Germany gobbled up all of them. :(

Yea I really like a lot of the changes they've made but the AI is not one of them. They'll randomly get pissed off at me and even though we're friends they'll declare war for seemingly no reason. The AI is unpredictable but not in a good way.

I really adore the new district and wonder system though. I was unsure about how it would work but it's really a good change for the game.

Edit: What's a good production focused civilization? I've been going with Rome but I'm not sure how the others stack up.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Started a new game and met Egypt who then denounced me in a couple turns and Greece who declared war on me right after introducing themselves. Funnily the game bugged and showed my civilization declaring war on me as well. This is on Warlord. Egypt denounced me because I didn't have a big army. Greece as far as I could tell declared war on me because I haven't declared war on anyone.

This new AI is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

The patch is great but the AI is still annoyingly broken. Just had another game where I met a civilization and the very next screen after the introductions is them declaring war on me and then (assumedly) their buddy declaring war on me. All before they could even do anything to me since they just have galleys and can't embark yet. I don't think this is ever going to get fixed but it would be nice if they could chill the gently caress out for once.