Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
For the first time in like 25 years, I finally beat a Civ game. Normally at some point (I always do marathon games) I kind of lose interest, or stop playing for a few weeks, and then quit that game and start a new game years later. This time I played every evening and then I finally got a cultural victory, but it kind of came out of nowhere. Was it because I had the highest culture score at the last turn (turn 1000??) or did I reach a cultural threshold?

I really wonder how you are supposed to get a science victory then, I mean, which prevails? Science score or culture score? I never really focused my production, policies and buildings on any particular victory, so maybe I should focus on science next time and not bother with cultural stuff like shrines and theatres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Thanks for the expanation about the Culture Victory. Yeah it was probably the Theatre squares and some relics and great works then. I also had open border with some other civs that may have helped. The weird thing is: somewhere halfway I annihilated Persia since it was up in my poo poo. Most other civs (this was one of the huge worlds) instantly hated me. I had a few alliances and friends at that point, that didn't seem to mind at all, but once the alliance or friend agreement was up for an extension, they would also start hating me. I had no real access to any agreements after that and I felt pretty locked out because there was no way I could build up that relation even after hundreds of years, since it tanked pretty hard. It also made me feel vulnerable, but turns out only one civ chose to declare war on me and then I took half their cities and their capital. Other than that I only fought barbarians in this game. I thought waging war on one civ would at least net me /some/ friends (their enemies), but unfortunately it didn't. If this is the case for all games, then dominating other civs wil

Anyone ever co-opped this game? Theoretically it's PvE /and/ PvP, of course, but if you're in a voice chat with the other player I'm sure you could be allies and bully all other civs while creating really cool and cooperative civ's with the other player, with open borders, a lot of trade etc. I wonder though how boring it would be to wait through the other players turn.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

So we treat the game more as a sandbox that we're both playing in together rather than a serious struggle for victory. We usually stop playing after a few hours and when it comes time to play again, rather than load our save we just start a new game.

Honestly that's kind of me when I play Civ solo as well. I rarely keep playing to see any end-game. I really like exploration and once that's gone the game is less fun for me. I do want to try a military victory though and a space victory some time.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Xerol posted:

The really early game on marathon is just too slow to be interesting at all, and I often find myself just rerolling marathon games until I get a start with at least one good production tile just so it doesn't take 47 turns to get a scout out.

I never understand how other civs seem to be pushing out military units and settlers like no tomorrow, and eventually have a big empire while I usually have like three or four good cities near each other and then eventually decide (whether provoked or not) to start a war with two or three heavy hitters and start taking some cities. I never play on higher than chieftain though. Some of the cities I take even get left with no garrison for a long time because I do not have the resources to pump out units. I am too busy building buildings and squares and stuff. Usually what the advisors want. Are the AI civs better at production for them to do both?