Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Free Market Mambo posted:

I have a fellkniven A1, I regret the purchase. Great knife, but at that size, why not have an axe. Learn axecraft and be a happy woodsman.

i agree with your first post as it's pretty much what i post in all these threads, and this one i agree with too.

the problem with the whole big knife argument is that they seem to forget you don't actually really save much on the handle size because you have to find a decent and dense bat sized log to then baton your big knife to emulate the stuff a hatchet or axe will do better

also big knives get used very little and are what got rambo beat up by the cops and lead to all the bloodshed in rambo first blood

not entirely related but i will say some words: plastic handles on axes are retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

black children posted:

yes, i've seen the husqvarna axes too and they seem pretty good especially for the price range. get a stihl saw

husqvarna buys the 'seconds' or slightly imperfect axes from some classic swedish forges, they used wetterlings til roughly 2009 or 2010? when it probably became too expensive they switched to hultafors

they don't tell you that, but i own 3 and it proves true if you look at pictures or compare the dimensions/style of the axe. i'm actually super impressed with the heavy hultafors hatchet and use it the most out of my axes, despite wetterlings being more expensive and having a more famous reputation among the dudes in my woodworking group

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Free Market Mambo posted:

We can be Bros, extra stout, and can discuss the finer points of axemanship and making a fool of yourself on skis.

I will disagree with you on the plastic axe handles in one instance, a Fiskars splitting maul is surprisingly nice and low maintenance.

this is good news, i have yearned for your friendship since i learned of your occupation and i feel lesser as a man ever since my 'make birch skis with a hatchet' project turned into a bookshelf because the ends had fissure cracks or whatever they call those kinds of dried too fast cracks in your neck of the woods

i understand a lot of people like plastic handles, but the bigger and heavier the tool, the higher the impact, sure it is fine now, but it really is a matter of time until a thousand plastic shards litter the earth and maybe your eyeballs once it does finally give in. if it were american hickory it'd split in two, maybe three pieces, and you'd toss them into your next fire.

you could then use a pocket saw and a hatchet or a heavy knife to carve a new handle on the spot

please just admit you have fiskars stock and that it's making them a lot of money, but secretly you wish they were putting hickory or at least maple hafts on there

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cumslut1895 posted:

Any particular recommendations for a fishing knife? I'm planning on catching some trout (in new zealand)

I don't know anything about the size of new zealand trout ( I figured you guys only had neon colored deep ocean fish or some poo poo honestly)

But the earlier compliments about morakniv / mora knives remain true. They make a fillet knife in two different sizes, 20-30 dollars on amazon I think.

• Locked thread