Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

hey OP have you tried a millenial thread?

them kids with their smartphones let me tell you it's hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

grilling is my business

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I can't make threads on the Android app sorry OP if you want good content though you can check out my post history, we'll have a good day. Or don't you sound like a fag.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Kuato posted:

We just had another Rufio thread, I think your standards are too high if this alone doesn't justify $10 you spent in 2002. I guess we can make more Rufio threads if just one isn't satiating your needs. :shrug:

Perhaps it's correct that my standards are too high, but I would say the standards on this board have gotten low. Lowtax even mentioned it with the reversal of some of the lax policies of GBS 2.0 or whatever the gently caress. I at least enjoyed that "era" here and there because some of the random flame wars were hilarious.

However, without that, we're not really going back to pre-whatever the hell.. 2009 when the forums were hilarious AND informative.

Please don't assume I don't feel I've gotten my money's worth. You're right, I joined in 2002 due to a friend at the time suggesting it after he had been pasting me hilarious stories from the Pele and pant making GBS threads era. I also had a great stereo and cell phone back in 2002 that really did the job. I don't have those things anymore because they did their job. Past tense.

I'm not saying that I will RENOUNCE THE FORUMS. I was asking a legitimate question. It's a bit rude I admit to ask that within the forums themselves, but I think even Lowtax would agree that something's missing. And in my opinion it's the users. The ones that made my time here from 2002-2008 or thereabouts were absolutely hilarious, and some incredibly good writers, and some incredibly smart people with very heated but civil discussions. Not D&D bullshit, actual discussions. Even E/N threads were interesting. Whether true or not, some goons had some absolutely fantastic advice. Not every goon is created equal. Some of us aren't social dimwits and autists.

So no, I don't feel my $10 (plus a shot glass way back when which I still have, Platinum account, I think I may have donated something once, and a re-register after a ban years ago... I think 10 years ago) was in any way not justified. This place has helped with some programming poo poo back in the day when I was an engineer. It's given plenty countless hours of reading material, jokes, stories, and things to learn about. When I was watching a lot of TV, but good TV, I was able to satisfy my inner nerd by geeking out in TVIV. That forum still provides that but there's a lot of noise there too... and some people who just can't pay attention to a show and continue bitching about poo poo that's been answered. But that's the nature of the post 2004 Internet when Social Media took off. Between 1994-2004 however, it was loving awesome, and those users are what made SA great. I think those guys are mostly gone, and I legitimately was asking if Reddit is where they've gone to. I'll still geek out here and there in TVIV and post in an occasional GBS thread, I just don't think SA will be a "one of my 3-5 standards tabs to open up in a new instance of Chrome" member anymore. Not out of spite, but out of lack of any content that interests me these days.

Not sure why the question was worth a Probation but I wasn't even logged in since I posted it. I got a broken foot, happened in Pittsburgh, and have been dealing with being high on legal heroin, pain, and being sedentary for a few days which I don't handle well. I haven't been sedentary. Today and the rest of the week I will be, but then I continue my trend of not sitting still as I go to 3 cities next week and 3 more the following. Hopefully I don't gently caress this foot up.. :(

TLDR: No money's totally justified, just asking a question. Probation was kinda dumb but whatever.

noctambulous nebab posted:

I don't remember it ever being this bad?? Really regretting the $10, but I guess there are archives in the decent subforums.

I don't regret it but in your case having just registered, I can understand... also your posts were cool. You're cool.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
read the GBSENMT. its a long read but very good

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759325&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

heres a real crowd pleaser, its a thread I made that got 5 stars. Please 5 and buddy list

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Isaac posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759325&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

heres a real crowd pleaser, its a thread I made that got 5 stars. Please 5 and buddy list

Look man I'll vote your thread a 5 no problem, and while I'm sure you made a really fun thread for making moonshine, but I got poo poo going on and can't be taking that much time reading about moonshine. When I'm on vacation or whatever? Honestly? Yeah why not. I like to learn things especially in goon-funny ways. Because goons.

But yeah, not happening now.

Cool you made moonshine though! I sometimes get some when I'm in various weirdo southern cities. It's kinda blegh, but drinks made with it aren't bad at all.

I'm not big on cider so for me, the similarities don't really do it for me.

Back on topic. I just miss the old threads that used to engage you for days. And the discussions were so well thought out, and the grammar and all that poo poo was mandatory so people really did proof read before posting. Or they'd be called out for being retarded.

This was, keep in mind, people from the first generation (by modern definition) Internet. Those people were nerds, geeks, incredibly smart, or social outcasts. The discussions were mainly scientific, logical, interesting, intellectual, or hilarious because people are making GBS threads their pants. Or sCary tells about his day at the coffee shop. It was a great time to be online because the riff raff weren't there, but later joined as "AOLers". These communities propped up and we had an outlet to hate on idiots, continue our discussions, and read about more hideous beasts talking about their sex life (Pele).

So basically what I'm saying is, it was a cooler Internet. Then Friendster, HotOrNot, Google, MySpace, and Twitter happened and it all kinda led to where we are today. It attracted a lot of trash. Then millennials. So trash, like I said. And then Facebook made it explode and now we even have our grandmas sending us silly poo poo.

So, no, man. No. Reading about Moonshine is a great thread if I'm in the mood for it, but the Internet isn't what it used to be. It's incorporated into my life now. I travel the country and do Digital and Cloud strategies for a buncha companies. I like reading about all kinds of things, and if the threads here offered:

1. Intellectual curiosity
2. New concept
3. Interesting story
4. Funny story
5. Bombastic stories about Moonshine creation (not saying it's not, making a choice)
6. Absolute hilarity due to my strong feelings of schadenfreude and loving to see morons being morons
7. and so on

then I'll come here all the time like I used to. It used to give me all that. Now I get a lot from other sources, and there seems to be none of that there except silly threads that I guess I'd enjoy if I was younger. Maybe the older ones left and the younger ones are taking over. They don't care about this kind of talk because they're used to soundbites and 140 characters. I'm 35 but I've been online since 1993. So I kinda went through it all. I'm also young enough to embrace social media in some respects because with my travel it's helped me keep in touch and get in touch with lots of people from my past or even people I've met randomly in airports and planes (yeah dude, Flight Attendant). Reddit in the small quantities of articles I've read (mostly from google results or links from people) have been great. I'm sure it's a lot of noise but if they have good enough filters, I see THAT as being a board I would visit more frequently when I have time. I could get a one stop shop of information supplemented with whatever I get blasted at me from FB or LinkedIn or whatever the hell else I use. Occasionally I'll geek out on TVIV like I just did or read an interesting thread on GBS, but I dunno...

my question was simple. Where'd my peeps go? I just wanna hear from them again.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
i only started posting in gbs this year i dunno where they are i hope you find them

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i bumped the death funeral thread hope this helps

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Hey I'm gonna post some long multi-point lists about how GBS is dumb or bad that no one will ever read or give a poo poo about, here goes:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Oh wait shadow beat me to it already lol

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Shadow posted:

Look man I'll vote your thread a 5 no problem, and while I'm sure you made a really fun thread for making moonshine, but I got poo poo going on and can't be taking that much time reading about moonshine. When I'm on vacation or whatever? Honestly? Yeah why not. I like to learn things especially in goon-funny ways. Because goons.

Cool you made moonshine though! I sometimes get some when I'm in various weirdo southern cities. It's kinda blegh, but drinks made with it aren't bad at all.

Back on topic. I just miss the old threads that used to engage you for days. And the discussions were so well thought out, and the grammar and all that poo poo was mandatory so people really did proof read before posting. Or they'd be called out for being retarded.

This was, keep in mind, people from the first generation (by modern definition) Internet. Those people were nerds, geeks, incredibly smart, or social outcasts. The discussions were mainly scientific, logical, interesting, intellectual, or hilarious because people are making GBS threads their pants. Or sCary tells about his day at the coffee shop. It was a great time to be online because the riff raff weren't there, but later joined as "AOLers". These communities propped up and we had an outlet to hate on idiots, continue our discussions, and read about more hideous beasts talking about their sex life (Pele).

So basically what I'm saying is, it was a cooler Internet. Then Friendster, HotOrNot, Google, MySpace, and Twitter happened and it all kinda led to where we are today. It attracted a lot of trash. Then millennials. So trash, like I said. And then Facebook made it explode and now we even have our grandmas sending us silly poo poo.

So, no, man. No. Reading about Moonshine is a great thread if I'm in the mood for it, but the Internet isn't what it used to be. It's incorporated into my life now. I travel the country and do Digital and Cloud strategies for a buncha companies. I like reading about all kinds of things, and if the threads here offered:

2. New concept
3. Interesting story
4. Funny story
5. Bombastic stories about Moonshine creation (not saying it's not, making a choice)
6. Absolute hilarity due to my strong feelings of schadenfreude and loving to see morons being morons
7. and so on

then I'll come here all the time like I used to. It used to give me all that. Now I get a lot from other sources, and there seems to be none of that there except silly threads that I guess I'd enjoy if I was younger. Maybe the older ones left and the younger ones are taking over. They don't care about this kind of talk because they're used to soundbites and 140 characters. I'm 35 but I've been online since 1993. So I kinda went through it all. I'm also young enough to embrace social media in some respects because with my travel it's helped me keep in touch and get in touch with lots of people from my past or even people I've met randomly in airports and planes (yeah dude, Flight Attendant). Reddit in the small quantities of articles I've read (mostly from google results or links from people) have been great. I'm sure it's a lot of noise but if they have good enough filters, I see THAT as being a board I would visit more frequently when I have time. I could get a one stop shop of information supplemented with whatever I get blasted at me from FB or LinkedIn or whatever the hell else I use. Occasionally I'll geek out on TVIV like I just did or read an interesting thread on GBS, but I dunno...

It's proofread, not proof read you loving retarded redditor.

Good luck finding your dead gay friends.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
it's hard to be a star poster like alex

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
2002: SA stopped being good in 2001!😠
2003: SA stopped being good in 2002!😭
2004: SA stopped being good in 2003!😂
2005: SA stopped being good in 2004!😞
2006: ...

And so on until the sun explodes and consumes us.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Well, we stand corrected.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i post good thread

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Putty posted:

i post good thread

I always like a Putty thread!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Longwinded or not, in 2005, my post would have sparked an actual discussion. GBS 2.0 at least had funny flame wars and "lol wut" replies.

This is just pathetic. No one has anything to say or they're all gone. I hope Lowtax knows what he's doing...

Thanks for the replies! Riveting! :v:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Shadow posted:

Longwinded or not, in 2005, my post would have sparked an actual discussion. GBS 2.0 at least had funny flame wars and "lol wut" replies.

This is just pathetic. No one has anything to say or they're all gone. I hope Lowtax knows what he's doing...

Thanks for the replies! Riveting! :v:

Putty posted:

i post good thread

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Shadow posted:

2. New concept
3. Interesting story
4. Funny story
7. and so on

:a2m:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

It's the end times, as was foretold

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I think, OP, that you suck

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Wow sam, that was a brutal and vicious attack.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Yes and I honestly don't feel good about it like I thought I would

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
seems fine to me. maybe you are the one with the problem :shrug:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Celluloid Sam posted:

Yes and I honestly don't feel good about it like I thought I would

:devil:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Shadow posted:

2. New concept
3. Interesting story
4. Funny story
7. and so on

gently caress yes

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Shadow posted:

2. New concept
3. Interesting story
4. Funny story
7. and so on

lol what the gently caress

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

that's like 10 million words too many

you could have just typed "i'm a bitch"

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776599

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
You can go contribute your stories to the crying at the airport megathread, which is about to fall off page 1.... :chloe:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i miss the two year long glasnost after halloween 2013(?)

make gbs great again

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

i would like to point out that your av is indeed "rad as heck"

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

i really liked the fish in your probate from trax

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008