Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i wanted to read books. but books weren't good enough for me, i lusted for more. well anyway i bought an electronical reader. or e-reader if thou whilst.

firs tof all it's built like a 90's piece of poo poo. they just put the circuit board in plastic and shipped it. the god drat memory is an internal SD card, they didn't even bother to put the memory on the SoC or board. and it has a huge bezel that protrudes from the side of the screen. you read that right, the bezel is not flush with the screen like any regular piece of technology made post-2007.

but no, the bezel is not flush with the screen for a "good" reason! it's such a good reason. there's no problem. i garuntee there's no problem. everyone agrees.

they put an infrared touch screen solution on this. not capacitive touch. that's why the bezel is huge, there's sensors detecting whether something enters the field of view of these infrared sensors.

but lets give the infrareds the benefit of the doubt. maybe they're better than capacitive? who knows. i don't want to be racist against touch technology. so lets keep an open mind.

well whilst reading my book in the park, my page turned on it's own. i determined that what caused the page to turn was a BLADE OF GRASS. but what's worse is drat near every time i pick up this thing it's on the wrong page. it's somehow 2 or 3 pages ahead or behind cause some inanimate object has grazed it's front side.

last night, i threw it in my bag. this morning, i woke up and it was at 7% batter charge. why? how? it makes no sense. then i realized my sweater, also in my bag, was probably lightly pressing against the screen all night, leaving it on.

what a piece of poo poo. what a loving god drat piECE OF poo poo THIS EREADER IS.

gently caress

THANK YOU FOR READING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i am also too dumb to spend 60 bucks on a kindle let's start a club called the bigtime chowderheads club

you can be president

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i bought a cheap piece of poo poo and am upset that it is a cheap piece of poo poo

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

angry_keebler posted:

i am also too dumb to spend 60 bucks on a kindle let's start a club called the bigtime chowderheads club

you can be president

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Nook touch supremacy

Ok it's probably not better than a kindoo technologically but damned if I'll use an amazon product over a functional alternative

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Btw op note that I have a nice leather case for that nook (purchased from borders during their bankruptcy blowout) because I value my electronics

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

Nook touch supremacy

Ok it's probably not better than a kindoo technologically but damned if I'll use an amazon product over a functional alternative

your font is so big everyone on the train can see what you're reading

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
since the death of the rim thread i declare this the new canadachat thread.

so, how bout them housing prices amirite?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

my stepdads beer posted:

your font is so big everyone on the train can see what you're reading
Yeah well that's ok cos I'm not reading Lolita

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Once I left it on a bus in berkeley and two weeks later I picked it up at the transit lost & found because no one cares to steal a nook

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it needs a lock screen so people can't see my hentai

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

kindles are bad too

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

don't they charge $0.01 a page to convert PDFs to kindles proprietary format and you have to upload it to the cloud

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

PleasureKevin posted:

don't they charge $0.01 a page to convert PDFs to kindles proprietary format and you have to upload it to the cloud

lol no wtf

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if it's not still like that then great but also gently caress Amazon

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i never remember that being the case. calibre w/ python scripts do the needful

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

since the death of the rim thread i declare this the new canadachat thread.

so, how bout them housing prices amirite?

not too bad if you want property on the east coast or quebec but you probably do not want

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

just get a kindle, moron

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

PleasureKevin posted:

gently caress Amazon

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

PleasureKevin posted:

i also heard on the new 300 dollar kindle that one in six of the lock screen ads have been replaced with an unskippable 20 second animation of jeff bezos fondling and slapping his own scrotum? like wtf amazon my 9 year old sony reader doesn't have that bullshit "feature"???

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

1. buy an 'ad-supported' kindle
2. never connect it to the internet

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
my kindle works great and i didn't even know you could get ads on them

PleasureKevin posted:

lol no, and in fact you can email pdfs to your kindle and they're automatically converted and made accessible

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

i also heard on the new 300 dollar kindle that one in six of the lock screen ads have been replaced with an unskippable 20 second animation of jeff bezos fondling and slapping his own scrotum? like wtf amazon my 9 year old sony reader doesn't have that bullshit "feature"???

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
e-readers are great for taping to your wall and displaying a custom web app that just says how many minutes left before you need to leave for the train.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

still using my kindle keyboard (third gen kindle). paperwhite seems nice but dunno about the lack of page-turn buttons, and the current OS seems to be really obnoxious in how prominent it makes amazon's store. tbqh i've actually been using the kindle app on my iphone more than my actual kindle, pretty hosed up admittedly

also im just gonna drop this great post i found in sa-mart here. it's about one of amazon's POS kindle tablets but whatever close enough here you go hope you like it:

Kro-Bar posted:

I got one of these and it's handy for a cheap tablet to watch movies on at the bar. Battery life is crazy-long, too.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

do people actually watch movies at a bar, probably with headphones?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol. the first goon i saw irl was browsing the forums at a bar on their laptop a number of years ago

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like how on my jobo glo you can turn the light off completely

the only issues for me stem from when the battery goes flat

but once it's charged and youre in a book, its fine and flawless

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
kobo glo hd working fine here, op

adobe's loving digital editions software otoh can gently caress a duck

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
kindle's are less than 100 dollars why would you get anything else?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OldAlias posted:

lol. the first goon i saw irl was browsing the forums at a bar on their laptop a number of years ago

lol

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING posted:

still using my kindle keyboard (third gen kindle). paperwhite seems nice but dunno about the lack of page-turn buttons, and the current OS seems to be really obnoxious in how prominent it makes amazon's store. tbqh i've actually been using the kindle app on my iphone more than my actual kindle, pretty hosed up admittedly

also im just gonna drop this great post i found in sa-mart here. it's about one of amazon's POS kindle tablets but whatever close enough here you go hope you like it:

the newer ones can turn all that off aside from the annoying shopping cart icon. i went keyboard to paperwhite current model and it was a nice upgrade, but i use touchscreens all the time and dont mind it much. the main thing i miss is holding the keyboard portion of placing my hands on the screen casually but it hasnt changed my use much

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I mostly use the kindle app in my iPhone tbh

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the kindle keyboard was the best to hold and turn pages with
the paperwhite has the best screen
the other ones are stupid expensive gimmicks

i want a goddamn solar powered paperwhite with page turn buttons

bezos

plzos

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

angry_keebler posted:

you can be president

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

my freedumbs :qq:

you know, the same sort of people who rallied against the ipod and are fans of ogg vorbis

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually ogg vorbis is a really good codec and is widely used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Bloody posted:

actually ogg vorbis is a really good codec and is widely used

is ur entire music collection in ogg because you are philosophically opposed to mp3? that's the kind of nerd bullshit im talking about

• Locked thread