Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bobnumerotres posted:

playing a bit today and another thing that makes pharah not so good is that explosions and AOE stuff have gigantic invisible vertical hitboxes, im guessing specifically to counter pharah. like mei's ult has a particle effect that's purely horizontal but you can be 30 feet above it and it still freezes you

reaper ult is the most obnoxious about that for me, in terms of animation vs effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i never feel like i understand what range i'm supposed to be at when i try genji. he has the spread shuriken alt-fire, so maybe i'm supposed to get up close with him? but i get creamed when i try...

it just feels like you need a LOT of mechanical/twitch skill to reach basic competency with him, much more than most characters.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

hope this means theyre doing away with plugsuit dva

how would self-destruct work?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
feels a little weird to have mechless dva only appear in the moment between firing the ult & calling a new mech, but that might just be because i'm used to the current system. a character who can die twice is cool, but makes more sense without 600 mech hp

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
zarya isn't hugely focused on mechanical skill, but really relies on you being engaged with what your team is doing and what the enemy is doing. that's a fun playstyle for me

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
lmao

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Help, I Can't Hold All This Win - me, to blizzard, may 2016 ongoing

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
they should do the TF2 thing where they're only usable around halloween time

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

3v3 is gay as hell since everyone only picks roadhog

my first 3v3 game was against a torb+symmetra+sombra; they set up a base in their spawn and sombra cloaked out, shot someone, and then recalled back into their base repeatedly

they went 3-0... :(

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
That's win.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
territory control in fpses is basically the sort of thing you'd only 'get' if you played really old games, like DOOM, Quake, or Halo 5: Guardians. understandable why the devs don't know about it

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Just found out that a 5 stack that I teamed up with about two months ago got super offended when I called D.va "the asian chick" and Lucio "the black guy" jokingly during skirmish. Unbeknownst to me they got all super PC and confused and then refused to play with me. Then I was told they were a mix of races and sexualities and didn't find that kind of terminology funny. I said I thought that was pretty gay and a few minutes later I had to delete a bunch of strangers who wouldn't talk to me anymore from Battle.net.

hell, they were right. and you know what else? you just got added to my ignore list

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i left killcams on so i can look at them whenever i die in a surprising way, but i've built up so much muscle memory hitting 'space' as fast as possible after i die that it's hard to catch myself...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Wormskull posted:

I did my first placement match today and Moon Moon was on my team and it was all Masters and Grandmasters. :zombie:

did you win

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Widowmakers new intro lol.

did blizzard really need to include TWO nutcrackers in the update?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Oh I forgot, here's a clip of Moon Moon flaming me to the tune of a Runescape song for doing a sick Zarya ult that made their whole team have to stand in the graviton surge 3 feet from the payload as the clock ran out, and immediately take it back. :coolfish: https://clips.twitch.tv/moonmoon_ow/CourageousHerdUleetBackup

:coolfish:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Has anyone heard from R_Clown lately? There's a bunch of incoherent steam messages in my chat, he seems really heartbroken about Tracer for some reason.

Her sexuality was turned into a meme by idiots.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

All jokes aside though, super happy for her. i actually met a great IRL girl on the OW forums a few months back and well long story were getting hitched soon, and its all thanks to Tracer for teaching me how to open up the walls I had out up around myself. My fiancee is rrally chill and she loves Overwatch to boot, she gets me so well she even went along with my idea to send out our invites on these awesome funny bottles

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
my personal Tracer Style, speaking as a prestigious Gold-Ranked Player

- in fights, wait until they start aiming at you, then blink to the side. repeat as needed (while shooting the whole time). this is especially infuriating to roadhog players.
- if you take more than like 10 points of damage, recall. better to recall too early than too late!
- if you're out of blinks, it's probably time to leave the fight.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Wormskull posted:

If I'm strafing people I favor the left side since most people are right handed and have less control moving their mouse away from their body for example.

this is sick.....

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
I am going to open those crates, and because it is Christmas, there will be a Yeti Winston inside.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

I am going to open those crates, and because it is Christmas, there will be a Yeti Winston inside.

Christmas is real.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Wormskull posted:

That one and Tracer making fun of Reaper's voice when she kills him are very epic indeed. https://clips.twitch.tv/wormskull/EnchantingDolphinPRChase Here's a mercy undoing all my work and getting me pwned.

Aw, butthole on a stick.

mabels big day posted:

I've never bought lootboxes so I only get 3 whites + 1 blue in every box

what does that have to do with buying boxes...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

did he change heroes?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

help me

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Which is also why I recommend being flexible more than just locking in Roadhog every time, so you can learn the things about the characters and be able to explain it to the rest of the team if they're having a specific problem. To flashbang a deflecting genji you take 2 steps back from him and throw it directly at your feet BTW.

thanks for this, and also the other advice! i wasn't actually expecting anyone to offer help (i was mostly just emitting a cry of primal despair), but the things you wrote are cool, and i appreciate them.

also i'm glad that i'm not rank 3500 or whatever you are now because playing vs 3xtank + symmetra every map really does sound like a special kind of hell.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i feel like one of the hardest things for me is learning how to ult effectively. you're using guns and movement abilities constantly, other abilities are mostly on ~6 second timers, but ults you pop maybe once every couple of minutes. makes it a lot harder to practice and get them down, especially for the ults with a lot of potential tricks, like d.va's. i almost always feel like i'm wasting d.va ult when i pop it... even with a 3 second timer, people are pretty good at running away if there isn't a graviton surge active.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
The new map is ridiculously gorgeous.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

is it out or ptr still?

came out... today, i think? i haven't played PTR so i hadn't seen it before.

also the new arena mode is just 24/7 oasis (quick play rules), which seems helpful for practice.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i was very surprised when the pit in the center of the one oasis map was not an instant death pit. talk about defying convention!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Dutchy posted:

they're nerfing the hook :-/

gently caress this. i'm going to play Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
tbf, this is a pretty good excuse for me to mix things up a bit more in competitive

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Assertively: Hey there.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

trying to jack off posted:

i think warcraft3

i wouldn't have guessed it, but apparently, it's from warcraft 2.

quote:

First let me explain the Smurf thing. Warp and I enjoy making up names and playing people at war2. We make them think we really suck and then beat them up. But the joke was on me because Zima pulled my own trick on me. He played as Spiderman making me think he sucked. Beaten at my own game! So sad.

Well we have lots of fun playing as smurfs. We talk in smurf. We smurf us some rear end at war 2. I guess that is totally childish, but it sure is fun.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i really love this page

quote:

Once the game started, we found out that Void was a C&C player, and had very little war2 experience. In fact, he would not stop talking about C&C! Well, as he would soon discover, C&C experience does *not* help when playing war2!

quote:

As everyone knows, you need to get the grunts, and get them fast.

quote:

We go to kchat and Spiderman(Zima) asks to join my clan. I still did not know that it was Zima! He got me bad. haha.

Well Zima types, hey "smart rear end", did not catch me this time. Well Smart rear end is what Zima always calls me because really I am one, haha. That is when I realized. He had been playing me the whole time.

But then I realized the joke was on him. He beat me, but He could not beat Warp with 2 allies. He turned out looking like a bigger idiot then me. I got wasted by one person. He got taken out by one with 2 allies to help him. hahahhahahahahahahah.

quote:

Last Updated 3/8/96

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
imp zone tryouts started early this year

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
i think the idea is that you have to win a team fight to cap the flag, like with capturing a point in other maps? (unless the enemy team is incompetent and lets you sneak their flag out)

seems built for stalls, like all ctf modes ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Quake, my bro.

i have never played any version of quake. unless you count half-life i guess.

• Locked thread