Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Quick Deathmatch question: What is the "Alpha Death" stipulation? For example Massashi Takeda vs. Isami Kodaka - Barricade Of Death Double Board & Double Barricade & Alpha Death - 11/11/2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Why are people so down on Gotch? From what i've seen he seems to be a decent promo, can work and hasnt shitted on wwe too much.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheCool69 posted:

Why are people so down on Gotch? From what i've seen he seems to be a decent promo, can work and hasnt shitted on wwe too much.

ex-WWE guy fatigue maybe? He's not a dude who has a lot of buzz about him and didn't come from any real place of standing so I could see people taking a cynical approach to him just based off of disinterest

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thanks for the death match recommendations!

rovert posted:

A fun watch, nice character work to build up Mance and a hot angle at the end but that medical update video shouldn't have made air

https://twitter.com/MLW/status/1104774096175415298

I feel like that weird-rear end doctor bit will be revealed as Gotch doing a voice and pretending to be the doctor. It felt way too hammy to be real, and I feel like they've used that doctor on the show before and it wasn't as bizarre.

Or, it was just loving insane and will never be explained.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TheCool69 posted:

he had a hype video for ROH(?) where he showed off getting swept and murdered by novices and claimed he was a real wrestling badass. It looked like if Taz tried ADCC or the EBI.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I gotta' say, I've tried to watch MLW before and it just looked bush league as all hell, and while the backstage stuff is still just more bad actors doing bad acting, the episodes with Schiavone and Cornette are infinitely more watchable than what I've seen before, and I'm perfectly happy to keep watching if they keep coming back.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MLW has everything it needs to succeed and be exciting but most episodes of the show are just okay. Hard to find a truly great episode but there was a really good one a while back with Jason Cade v Wheeler Yuta. Felt like they found their stride with that episode but it hasn't really been replicated since.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That definitely speaks to tastes because I think that Cade/Yuta feud was the thing I enjoyed the least in MLW.

I'm a little cold on it right now. I'm not feeling Lawlor's face run, I have no excitement for Simon Gotch (I really liked Gotch as Lawlor's lacky but both guys seemed to suffer from being split), and the Hart Foundation is in a weird place where they hold like all the gold and are the focus of storytelling and the announcers are now treating them like faces even though they're the exact same heels they were before.

But its still a really easy 45 minutes of wrestling that kind of scratches my itch without trying to slog through RAW or something.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

STAC Goat posted:

That definitely speaks to tastes because I think that Cade/Yuta feud was the thing I enjoyed the least in MLW.

Totally agree with you on the feud overall. They don't do well at building midcard feuds consistently, but I thought the episode with the blow off was great. It was the first time Cade really got to be a dickhead in MLW and he was really fun in that role.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm a little cold on it right now. I'm not feeling Lawlor's face run, I have no excitement for Simon Gotch (I really liked Gotch as Lawlor's lacky but both guys seemed to suffer from being split), and the Hart Foundation is in a weird place where they hold like all the gold and are the focus of storytelling and the announcers are now treating them like faces even though they're the exact same heels they were before.

But its still a really easy 45 minutes of wrestling that kind of scratches my itch without trying to slog through RAW or something.

Agree with you again on the Harts. At least now they're treating them like faces instead of tweeners or heels the crowds cheer for anyway. That was way more annoying/confusing. I just can't stand Teddy at all.

I really want Lawlor to be better than he is. I still don't think I've seen him have a really great match. Gotch really kind of bores me. He's not necessarily bad but nothing about him really grabs me at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dug the Team Filthy dynamic and was buying in hard to both Lawlor and Gotch when they were getting built. It just unfortunately seems to have been a "sum of the parts" situation because I've been cold on them since. Although with Lawlor I think that's at least in part to how long they stretched out his match with Low Ki and how lackluster the matches were. Of course that doesn't speak well to Lawlor's run since Low Ki is many things including a more than capable partner. So I gotta put a lot of blame on Tom for those matches.

And nothing about Gotch being a really amusing lackey makes me want to see him a top heel.

I actually like the Harts. Teddy is Teddy but they seem very aware of it and are playing into it all the way to the cat thing which makes me smile. Pillman's green as hell but has a lot of charisma and again is just being booked to type as the cocky, upstart tryhard. And I really like Davey Boy Smith Jr and his only real flaw is a lack of personality, but Teddy and Pillman kind of make up for that.

But MLW's clearly never really known what they are because they're 100% heel characters but the fans give them face reactions. I think its probably smart on paper to lock them against someone like MJF who can play a good enough heel to balance things a bit but its awkward listening to the announcers basically have no idea how to react and suddenly do a 180 on the Harts all while Teddy and Pillman are still being douches in those videos.

Like there was a moment during that Dreamer/Sandman vs Pillman/Smith respect feud match where Sandman's doing his entrance and just comes over and hugs Teddy who is all smiles and the announcers are all "I don't understand this. It doesn't make sense!" that kind of sums up the Hart booking problem to me.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 11, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Phenix Rising posted:

Definitely watch Masashi Takeda vs. Toshiyuki Sakuda, Jun Kasai vs. Toshiyuki Sakuda and Jun Kasai vs. Alex Colon from last month too.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Phenix Rising posted:

I feel like that weird-rear end doctor bit will be revealed as Gotch doing a voice and pretending to be the doctor. It felt way too hammy to be real, and I feel like they've used that doctor on the show before and it wasn't as bizarre.

Or, it was just loving insane and will never be explained.

Smart explanation.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

pretty open chatter about NOVA Pro having problems paying talent again. Not sure if its of substance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Specifically: https://twitter.com/OfficialEGO/status/1105861554401103872

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It’s amazing how often Ethan Page can be right about something and still come out of it as a massive douche

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This weekend’s show was a tryout show that is specifically advertised as no payday and an all-women’s show that I don’t really remember having any non-regulars on. I wonder who he didn’t pay.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I'll admit I haven't been to a NoVA Pro show since they let the ring announcer go (he's a good guy, and schedules haven't lined up), but if they're not paying talent, I wonder if those two things are connected.

Hopefully CRAB pays, because I'd like to see a local scene continue.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I've generally enjoyed the Novapro shows but I keep hearing all sorts of drama and crazy poo poo on the backend that suggests dude has some personal problems he needs to work through before running shows again.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I was at the last Nova Pro show on Saturday. The crowd was decent and the show overall was solid. I did hear some of the girls complaining about pay afterwards though. A lot of them did get paid though included hotels and airfare. It's a shame some of the regulars who get booked there don't stick up for the others but it seems to be a case of no one caring about anyone but themselves.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I'll admit I haven't been to a NoVA Pro show since they let the ring announcer go (he's a good guy, and schedules haven't lined up), but if they're not paying talent, I wonder if those two things are connected.

Hopefully CRAB pays, because I'd like to see a local scene continue.
They seem to have *some* relationship with Nova Pro, but Flying V is putting together a second show in June, so hopefully they can keep a local scene going.

Anyway, I hope Nova Pro at least lasts through May when they're having a show I can take the Metro to.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

psicosis canceled in addition to dragon lee

AAW Pro Wrestling
presents
Hell Hath No Fury

Saturday, March 16th
Logan Square Auditorium
2539 N Kedzie Blvd
Chicago, IL
7:30pm Bell Time
Doors Open 6:00pm
All Ages Event

Front Row - SOLD OUT
Front Row Stage - SOLD OUT
Second Row - $40
Second Row Stage - SOLD OUT
Third Row - $30
Third Row Stage - SOLD OUT
Fourth Row - SOLD OUT
Standing Room Only - $20

Tickets on sale at aawpro.ticketleap.com

Featuring:

AAW Heavyweight Championship Match
Sami Callihan vs. Jake Something

AAW Women's Championship Match
Kylie Rae vs. Jessicka Havok

GRUDGE MATCH
Jimmy Jacobs vs. Mance Warner

Eddie Edwards vs. Fred Yehi

Plus:
Juventud Guerrera
Myron Reed
Ace Romero
Nate Webb
Kimber Lee
Hakim Zane
FATU
Chuck Taylor
Jake Atlas
Joey Lynch
Larry D
Trent
Gringo Loco
Moose
PACO

Fight For The Future
7:00pm
Featuring: Pat Monix, Donovan Danhausen, Juntai, and Gavin Quinn

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
pizza pasta pepperoni, Jordynne Grace, Allie Kat, Terra Callaway, Sage Phillips, Rump Thump, and even Logan Easton Laroux have all publicly quit NOVA Pro. Promotion seems like it’s dead. Because of the Ethan Page podcast.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Boco_T posted:

pizza pasta pepperoni, Jordynne Grace, Allie Kat, Terra Callaway, Sage Phillips, Rump Thump, and even Logan Easton Laroux have all publicly quit NOVA Pro. Promotion seems like it’s dead. Because of the Ethan Page podcast.

Well, that's half the regulars and a good chunk of the Mania weekend card. They're toast.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
rip

http://twitter.com/VAWrestling/status/1106569528425832450

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:rip:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Boco_T posted:

lmao these names

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
GCW took up the NOVA Pro spot on mania weekend and is just gonna run the show they were doing

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

GCW took up the NOVA Pro spot on mania weekend and is just gonna run the show they were doing

NOVA was running an Orange Cassidy show?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm oddly pleased to learn Rump Thump is doing well enough to voluntarily quit a promotion.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CZW's Wired champ
https://twitter.com/courtbauer/status/1106545954201710592

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Boco_T posted:

pizza pasta pepperoni, Jordynne Grace, Allie Kat, Terra Callaway, Sage Phillips, Rump Thump, and even Logan Easton Laroux have all publicly quit NOVA Pro. Promotion seems like its dead. Because of the Ethan Page podcast.

PUSH RUMP THUMP

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fun Fact: Before he was Rump Thump he was Stephan J Baxter III and his gimmick was Steve Urkel.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Pizza Pasta Pepperoni sounds like an Mdickie name for Bruno Sammartino.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually didn't realize that was a wrestler's name. I thought it was some kind of weird "suffering succotash" exclamation I had never heard before.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Rump Thump never wrestled in NOVA, but he is the best referee working today.

The “pasta pizza pepperoni” thing is from a growing joke about how VAGentMike changed his @ and so someone registered the old one and started posting as “The Italian Gent”

https://twitter.com/vagentmike/status/1096952816244064256

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 15, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Push Sage Phillips for real though. Ton of potential with him.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

oliver and yd&b are so extremely hateable, i hope that translates to mlw's boring-rear end tv

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
A flex https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1106706193454649344

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Orange Cassidy v Dream is on now and I can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Man im really curious to know.which known feds AREN't running wm weekend

stab fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 16, 2019