Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Could Chris Masters really not come up with a promo photo better than him looking intensely bored?

Super No Vacancy posted:

be forewarned i am about two shows away from making very provocative statements about aaw relative to pwg

I will fight you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

oatgan posted:

In addition to this you sell way more merch

This is definitely worth pointing out. Like, I don't know what Dalton Castle gets paid for working a PWG match vis-a-vis Ring of Honor or Chikara, but I know that at both the shows he's been to so far he loving cleaned up on t-shirts. And that's not even counting Pentagon selling out of his entire stock including like the 150 dollar masks before last year's BOLA weekend was even over.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
How does Lio Rush not make that poster

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

PWG also has a deal with Highspots which probably cuts back on production costs for DVD's, where they make pretty solid money. Plus they probably get a small cut from the Highspots channel.

Also, I suspect Hero or Cobb is gonna win the whole shebangabang.

Hero would make sense if he hadn't already lost to Sabre at Mystery Vortex 3 last year. Granted, Zack didn't have the title back then, but I don't think they're going to do another title change so soon and having Hero win and then lose the title shot immediately doesn't really help anybody. Sure it's kind of crazy that a guy who's been in PWG for as long as Hero has yet to win BOLA, but the goal of the tournament should be to elevate someone and he doesn't need it. Remember that Roddy hasn't won BOLA either, and he hadn't been champion despite being in the company for like ten years until ROH forced their hand and they needed to get the belt off O'Reilly. Cobb... maybe if he beats Trevor Lee in two weeks, but I have trouble seeing a guy that new to the company getting the BOLA win rub. Even Speedball had been on four shows before making the finals last year, even though his first win came the show before.

The way I was looking at it is that there's a pretty small cross-section of people who are A) not brand new to PWG or close enough to it that they haven't won a match yet, B) haven't already won the tournament in the past (since there's never been a two-time winner yet), or C) haven't already lost to Sabre in PWG, because I really don't think the person who wins the tournament will go on to win the title (at least not with the shot they get from winning BOLA). Cobb will be one if he wins against Trevor, but otherwise the list is Tommy End, Sami Callihan, Mark Andrews, Matt Sydal, Will Ospreay, and Liger. Tommy's heavily rumored to be signed by WWE and BOLA weekend will probably be his last shows with the company, and I seriously doubt they'll fly Liger back in for a title match outside of the context of BOLA. Of the remaining four, I think Ospreay makes the most sense as he made it to the semifinals last year.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think there's a need to get the belt off Sabre if he's signed with WWE, and if he has, Hero's a stable guy the crowd loves whom we know can have a great match with Sabre. Plus he's never won BOLA, and they've been wrestling each other everywhere with Hero sometimes winning. I think my issue with Ospreay winning is his body's in rough shape and he has his NJPW commitments, plus his time in the UK.

The title shot means they could slot Ospreay right into the main event whenever he's available again, and we haven't heard anything concrete about Sabre signing the way stuff has been reported about guys like Ibushi yet. He's pretty in demand in both the UK and stateside right now, and WWE is never going to be the best environment for him to succeed on several levels even if HHH clearly likes him. Obviously a lot can change between now and September, if we know for sure Zack is signing then the entire calculus changes but I'm currently operating under the assumption that he'll be holding the PWG title for a while.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Chris James 2 posted:

Book Broken Matt Hardy and give him belts and live microphones

Starts every promo with "I KNEW YOU'D COME"

I have no idea what a Chuck Taylor/Drew Galloway tag team would even look like so kudos to Gabe for putting them together because I guess I'm mildly curious to see how they wrestle as a team.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Gresham would make a lot of sense for the Catch Point stable, lol at Dickinson being in it though

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Naylor has a shoot interview series with Highspots and does commentary for at least a couple different indies. I imagine he would still have to have a day job though. No idea how he manages to find the time to consume that much wrestling on top of all that.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Plus Ospreay/Fenix on N1 and Riddle/O'Reilly on N2. We can also draw from the trios announcement that Ricochet, Sydal, and Cole's matches are all on Night One.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Really glad that Ospreay is facing somebody other than the other British guys for his first round match, kinda bummed we'll only get one singles match out of Fenix on the weekend.

So who are Fenix and Pentagon gonna face in the pre-intermission tag on Night Two?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
(crashes into thread, out of breath)

LIGER/HERO

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Jesus, I fall asleep for like 90 minutes...

Looks like all we're missing is the pre-intermission tag on Night 1 now.

Night 1:

Matt Sydal vs. John Hennigan
Marty Scurll vs. Pentagon Jr.
Ricochet vs. Jeff Cobb
Fenix vs. Will Ospreay
Tommy End vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
Chris Hero vs. Jushin Liger
Dalton Castle and the Boys vs. The Young Bucks and Adam Cole

Night 2:

Mark Andrews vs. Pete Dunne
Dalton Castle vs. Jack Gallagher
Cedric Alexander vs. Mark Haskins
Pentagon Jr. and Fenix vs. Tommy End and Chris Hero
Kamaitachi vs. Trevor Lee
Cody Rhodes vs. Sami Callihan
Matt Riddle vs. Kyle O'Reilly
Ricochet, Matt Sydal, and Will Ospreay vs. the Young Bucks and Adam Cole

Honestly, I love Dalton Castle but considering all the talent in the building for the weekend putting him and his valets in one of the trios matches seems like kind of a waste.

The_Rob posted:

Is Adam Cole still scheduled for 13?

They didn't say he's pulling out, although this might tip the outcome of his match with Tommy now.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 21, 2016

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Looking at those matches and I think Dunne makes the most sense in the Marty Scurll 'newcomer to go surprisingly deep in the tournament' role this time. I think Cody might advance too but I'm not as certain on that because PWG books Callihan fairly strong for a midcard guy.

Just realized that this is going to be a completely comical number of dudes trying to sell t-shirts in the ring before the show/at intermission now.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Tommy End vs ZSJ, sorry grozz

Zack could still lose that match, especially if somebody turns and starts loving with him throughout the weekend like Roddy did to Kyle in 2014. Let me have this, drat it.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 21, 2016

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Do they take ideas from the staff when booking cards? I imagine BOLA in particular is so complicated politically that it would be difficult.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Super No Vacancy posted:

was cedric booked for king of trios

Yup, so he's either leaving Chikara in the lurch or the CWC team is losing early, because his first round BOLA match isn't until Saturday so he could fly in then.

Just checked and Chikara posted this after PWG's announcement:

https://twitter.com/CHIKARApro/status/755945562508238848

So he's working both shows, somehow. Either losing early in Chikara and working Saturday and Sunday in PWG or losing early in BOLA and missing the big multi-man tags on N3.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 21, 2016

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Gargano getting a legit WWE deal probably means Candice will retire sooner rather than later too

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
70 bucks per night for BOLA, drat

Hopefully that's just for the weekend because of the all the big names they're booking and not the regular price going forward

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I mean, on some level they'd be stupid to not charge as much as they can get away with until tickets stop selling out in three minutes every show.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
And Evolve books good talent but the atmosphere at their shows still sucks rear end outside of Mania weekend

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

oatgan posted:

which is why its going to be cool when ciampa wins the belt in a surprise and the tournament is for the title

More second-rate indies biting PWG storylines, yawn

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Going to try for BOLA tix, anything I should know? I remember reading last year their ticket site is awful and crashed when people rushed it

Be on the site ready to hit refresh right at 8 PM, tickets will be gone in five minutes or less once it stops crashing from a million people loading it at once. Make sure you have your Paypal password memorized so you can check out as fast as possible. Pray if you believe in prayer.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Big ups to NQQ for helping me and his brother get tickets thanks to all the other jokers from last year's crew skipping out

And yeah, people who can't go or bought too many tickets are pretty cool about selling them for face value rather than jacking their asking price way up. I recommend following Excalibur on Twitter if you're not already, he'll retweet people trying to resell tickets to shows all the time.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I've never been to Chicago, if the cards for that weekend are good enough and I have enough vacation time left at work I might use that as an excuse to finally visit.

I got sunburnt for the first time in years on Sunday last year, but that's partially because we spent a few hours walking around the horrifying tourist trap that is Venice Beach beforehand.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
This is a longshot but I'm just going to put it on record so I look smart if it happens: I have a gut feeling that Super Dragon returns tonight and kicks Roddy out of Mt. Rushmore.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I'll write in more detail when I get home but best top-to-bottom PWG show of 2016 by far, definitely worth getting on DVD

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The_Rob posted:

All I want to say is O'Reily and ZSJ are legit the best and I love wrestling.

I could probably watch them wrestle 100 times and not get bored, they're really perfect rivals for each other. I mean, O'Reilly can have a great match with a broom but Zack really shines when there's somebody who can go toe-to-toe on the mat with him.

Full results:

Adam Cole def. Brian Cage (Only real dud of the night, it wasn't bad it was just aggressively mediocre. Really wish Tommy had been able to make this show)
Roderick Strong def. Timothy Thatcher (Very good, expected Roddy to put a guy over on his way out but now knowing how the show ended it makes more sense)
Jeff Cobb def. Trevor Lee (Also really good, probably would have given it an HM if it hadn't dragged as much in the beginning. Expected the crowd to pop more for Cobb's first win, but I guess he didn't start with a long losing streak like most debuts do)
Chuck Taylor def. Trent? (Kind of turned into a pseudo-Guerrilla Warfare match? There was a ladder and several thumbtack bumps involved, it was unexpectedly gnarly but good)
Marty Scurll def. Sami Callihan (Heavy on comedy stuff but surprisingly good, best match Sami's had in PWG since coming back by a wide margin)
Young Bucks def. Death By Elbow to retain the PWG World Tag Team Championships (Hero goaded the Bucks into putting the titles on the line before the match and there were a couple times near the end of the match I thought it was really going to happen. Great match)
Zack Sabre Jr. def. Kyle O'Reilly to retain the PWG World Championship (Outstanding, and the crowd got insanely hot for it. Goddamn I'm glad Kyle's back in Reseda.)
Zack Sabre Jr. def. Roderick Strong to retain the PWG World Championship

After the main event Kyle and Zack did the typical grand gesture of respect for each other, then Roddy ran in and attacked them both, got the mic and said he wasn't going to wait for his title rematch, he was taking it right now. He gave Zack the Gibson driver and the fireman's carry gutbuster but he kicked out, Zack didn't get much offense in but put Roddy in a couple pinning combinations. The Bucks ran in and tried to help but Zack kept kicking out, then Scurll ran in and helped Kyle clear them out. Cole came out and he and Roddy beat Zack down more, but he kicked out again, cleared Cole out of the ring, and reversed another Roddy move into a submission and tapped him out. Angelo declared him still PWG Champion again, then Roddy got the mic and said 'for now.' The crowd by now knows he's leaving (a decent section started a chant after his match with Thatcher earlier in the show), so everybody's chanting thank you at him, he pauses for a bit and then talks about how he's been in PWG for 11 years and made a lot of great memories and great friends, but the most important thing PWG gave him was meeting his fiance (she was on the stage and very emotional, it was sweet). Roddy talks about how he made the decision 2 years ago to make big changes to how he performed as a wrestler and how it meant so much to him that PWG gave him the platform for it and that the fans went along for the ride so completely. He invites the Bucks and Cole back out to the ring, they come out and talk to each other in a huddle then fake like they're going to attack him but then the four of them have a group hug instead. Roddy asks everyone else from the locker room to come out and thanks the promotion and crew and everyone who stepped in the ring with him and gave 100%, and says to them and all the fans 'I love every one of you, I never hated you.' It was a really heartwarming farewell all around, hopefully it makes the DVD.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
https://twitter.com/DavidShoemaker/status/759234575344267264

PWG article coming soon to the Ringer? At least it'll be after BOLA tickets went on sale so they won't be even more difficult to get.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Imagine fronting like a 16 man tournament with Silas Young in it would be better than BOLA

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i know you quinoa types out in reseda are unfamiliar with 'heels' but theyre actually very fun to watch

I've seen plenty of Silas Young and if that's your definition of fun, I can see why you'd settle for that middling product you're getting out there

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Chris James 2 posted:

There's a good chance at least one LU guy is in that tournament and I'm buying tickets if it's Pentagon

AAW books at least a couple LU guys for practically every show they run these days, I don't think you have anything to worry about

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I think Cody said he's already booked up through the end of the year, but of course it's possible he knew this tournament was happening before they announced it and signed on already.

I don't know if Cedric's announced any dates beyond the immediate future but I wouldn't count on him being available. King of Pro Wrestling is October 10th so Elgin will probably be in Japan.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Was that the promotion that co-organized the Bustin' for Autism show that del Rio no showed?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Ryback sucks and I would prefer that he not wrestle on shows that I would otherwise want to watch

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Danny LaFever posted:

Bad conclusion to come to.

I feel pretty good about it actually

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
They kicked the poo poo out of each other, it was brutal. Zack was going nuts with those head stomps all match.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Really hope the Roddy farewell speech makes the DVD, since it probably won't ship until after he 'unexpectedly' shows up in the crowd at Takeover: Brooklyn II

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
It's a shame Kevin Steen won't be around to commentate that match considering how much glee he gets from pointing out what a big Ryback fan AR Fox is

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

MassRafTer posted:

He'll be petitioning for his opponent to make the same amount.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable to happen and him ending up in TNA and getting paid on time while the people lower on the card get jerked around, proving he was full of poo poo all along

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

oatgan posted:

I'm gonna be at all of them, hmu

Voluntarily watching two Chikara shows?

Oh wait somebody else already made that joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
He'll probably try to hold the promoter up for more money on the day of the show and generally be an unprofessional rear end in a top hat