Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i just started watching aaw based on a recommendation, and its really good! more or less what i was hoping it'd be like after hearing about it for awhile! i started about a year and a half or so back so i'd have more context before catching up to the "present", but i also kind of really want to go to one of the shows at the end of september, because it's a hell of a lot easier for me to get to logan square than it is merrionette park.

also its kind of amazing to me that highspots network and wwe network have about the same incidence of making GBS threads the bed on chromecast, given that one is run by a multi-billion dollar corporation and the other is very much not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In AAW his personality came through more and he went from typical indy high flyer to a fantastic all arounder.

aaw ach gives me ecw 2 cold Scorpio vibes, although that doesn't speak to his chances at working out in wwe at all

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

he sounds like he's keeping positive on twitter. hopefully he takes the opportunity to have the time to make his next show even greater than before. still, that's a hell of a combo to rack up.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Apparently being an indie wrestler and getting hurt makes it suck to not be able to work.

Christian Rose (Midwest talent) recently was feeling bad and his girlfriend took him too the hospital. They found blood clots in his lungs and have told him that he has to take daily medicine and cannot strenuously work out or wrestle for the next 6 months to a year until this is corrected.

He seemed upbeat for about a day but now, two weeks since the diagnosis, he started to complain about how time works because it is too slow.

Also, he found out that his insurance (provided by his day job for this specific reason) will not cover the medicine he needs to live longer.

it sounds like america's nightmare medical system has a hand in that case.

i can imagine for 90% of wrestlers who get hurt it takes everything they care about out of their lives, i totally feel that as a performer myself. when i was younger the only times i went through serious depression were when i wasn't doing any sort of creative performance in my life, whether that was acting, playing music, whatever, so yeah i can relate to that. i hope janela has an easier time though, because he has a new chapter in his life opening up as a show promoter. in his short promotion career he's put on three acclaimed events, starting essentially from scratch, and building a ton of buzz around himself as not only joey janela, the bad boy, but also joey janela, the guy who put on spring break and lost in new york. I've found that as long as i do have some sort of creative endeavor i'm working on, that part of my brain is calmed down and i don't get depressed. my band broke up recently, but i've actually been doing fine because i've thrown myself into doing graphic design and posting it on twitter. just the fact that i'm doing something creative and getting out there for people to see is enough for me, and i hope it helps joey cope through such a long lay-off.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

drat, Kenny v Fenix should be freaking awesome.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

I'm really interested in going to that Chicago mlw show, seeing acey baby live definitely helps.

I know it's said a lot but a guy that big shouldn't be able to move that fast.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

DM Punk posted:

I am pretty sure Dave Crist is kind of a weirdo/creep. I remember hearing stories about how wrestlers would stay over his house when they worked Ohio companies and he'd like whip his dick out when they were sleeping or something as a joke. Pretty sure he did it to Kimber Lee once.

i dont know why but in my headcanon jake crist is actually an alright guy who is a sensitive artsy type he just still hangs out with his dirtbag brother and dirtbaggier friend sami.

i don't like ove, oi4k, whatever, but i do like jake crist so maybe im just rationalizing that.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Richter Scabies posted:

That's cuz he's on the tabacky. He had a spit bottle on an officer/gentleman ep, it was pretty gross.

oh my god of course sami dips

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i just bought a ticket to the mlw show in chicago in a couple weeks. im gonna be sitting right next to the entrance ramp, a few rows back, it was like 26 dollars. i'm pretty excited, this'll be my first indie show ever.

also i'm now watching some mlw so i can catch up on it before i see it and lmao the guy who lost out on being in sanity is in mlw's little sanity knockoff for sami callihan, perfect.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

How exactly has EVOLVE survived given its infamously poor attendance

cutting a deal with wwe seems like the obvious answer

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

just left the mlw taping in Chicago, it was great. sad about Joey Ryan's tittie tear, but I'm glad he was there at least. saw Marko stunt wrestle twice (oh my god he is so small), him and Ace Romero was a lot of fun. Tom lawlor and sami callihan had a lot of a street fight like five feet away from me which was cool. Sammy Guevara vs rush was great, pco vs Brody King was crazy, pco jumped off a loving balcony on to a table, and lucha bros vs la parks was fantastic, definitely recommend checking that out when it airs

I got a Shane Strickland shirt and a rush shirt, so that makes four pieces of ingobernables merch I have now

oh yeah I high fived Hornswoggle before his match and his hand was like dripping wet lol.

this was my first indie show and it ruled and I'm gonna do this a lot more

couple other things, the crowd was a legit sell out, they may have been able to jam, like, 10 more people in the bleachers if they were really dedicated. really fun, exciting atmosphere. by the time we had gotten to pco/brody king, everyone was giving good reactions to everything, there is this weird shane strickland angle that i dont really like that mlw is running, and that kind of killed the crowd for a second, but after that it was lucha bros vs la parks and the 60% mexican crowd was fuckin here and ready for it. bless the middle aged lady with the airhorn, she captained the chants for the last few matches.

also, puma king is good and cool and my friend, and cicero stadium is actually pretty cool for wrestling. i'd be alright seeing another show there.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 9, 2018

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

not to be that guy but you should go to the aaw show at the end of this month. it's like the same thing but all the guys go full speed instead of at 70% and the crowd is actually up for the whole show instead of waiting patiently for the lucha mains

I definitely want to go to some aaw shows, I really like that promotion and it's so rad that it's local. I could have gotten tickets to a night of this year's lynam, but it was right after I'd started watching indie wrestling, like a week or two, so I wanted to be more familiar first.

e drat it's in Logan again and I just found out I'm not gonna be able to go anywhere for Thanksgiving... well my wife said she was interested in going to a wrestling show some day haha

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

What was the Strickland angle they were running?

he's been doing this thing where he's the former champ, but he's on a losing streak, so he's being all whiny and pouty and they're making him do "you people" promos, and then (fusion tv spoilers) after he lost against low ki (from low ki ripping out a couple dreads and rolling him up? it was weird and kinda gross) he got on the mic and said that he blamed management, mlw, and especially the fans for everything and that he was quitting. and stokely hathaway was across the aisle from me but he was just standing there making like a grumpy face so i guess that'll be explained on the episode

i only watched the past 10 or so episodes of mlw to catch up before the show, so i'm sure there's some backstory that i'm missing, but i just don't like it, i just want swerve to be cool.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

e I'm dumb I assumed the non Tony deppen guy was just Joey even though his leg fell off

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Janela announced that 25% of all PPV revenue ($14 on Fite https://www.fite.tv/watch/joey-janelas-la-confidential/2oc7w/) will be donated to families of the victims of the Thousand Oaks shooting through partnership with the Ventura County Community Foundation

drat thats pretty cool. i haven't done anything on fite.tv, two questions; do they have chromecast support? also, are replays generally the same price as the live event? just wondering, ive got work saturday morning so i don't exactly want to stay up and potentially doze off and miss people going through plates of glass. i can say i'm at a point where i feel comfortable spending 14 dollars to occasionally watch joey janela's hosed up dreams become reality, and i'm happy for it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

that show was a car crash, in every sense. it was all really fun until marko died. and then it got weird and somber, and then it got fuckin bizarre as hell because it was time for david arquette to wrestle nick gage, and then it got really scary because nick gage almost killed david arquette!

i'll give him props forever, the dude went out there and was game for just about everything - without a shirt on! why did you do that?! - and you know what im with david arquette on this one. dont slit my throat please?? i have this weird thing where i don't like getting my throat slit!

i mean, god drat, thats mdk i guess. that dude is fuckin crazy. even though so many things went wrong, it seems like the overall mood of the event was pretty on brand!

e: vv it was kind of crazy to expect david to be able to do deathmatch stuff the way those guys do, imo. self-preservation has to kick in if you're not someone who has spent their entire life since they were 13 smashing light tubes behind dumpsters. i have heard that nick gage is genuinely a good natured guy, he's just very intense!

shiksa fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 18, 2018

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

coconono posted:

if Jordan Peterson spoke that way to me, I'd drag his rear end to mom's house so she can smack the poo poo out of him. What a rude child.

e: Oliver. Whatever his name is.

as i approach that age group i really am starting to enjoy "lovely little overgrown manchild" heels who exist just to rile up dudes over 30 who see this little snotnose punk and personally want to kick his rear end.

i mean this kid sucks, but mjf is really good at it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Subscribe to Highspots. You’ll get all of CZW plus other much better poo poo like AAW

I've really started to love czw because it's on highspots and has a huge library. it appeals to the 14 year old in people and I love that.

I'm gonna skip tournaments of death (tournament of deaths?) though, they're a bit much. and they do employ some real shitheads, but its a deathmatch fed. I think it comes with the territory if you will.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Dangerous Person posted:

I need Orange Cassidy in the Dome against Yano

orange cassidy vs. yano would be match of the year and big dave would hate it.

cmon book it, gedo.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

drat... that's a really good card. i wonder how hard it is to get out to chicago heights without a car

whew, the answer is "extremely"

shiksa fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 27, 2018

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

man i dont know how much konnan can still "go" he wasn't exactly a marvel in his prime.

the mlw show i went to was a lot of fun, and it's cool that they have a regular weekly show thats easily accessible. it's kinda dumb sometimes, and its not my favorite indie product, but hey, i'm also subscribed to three streaming services and fusion is free on youtube so you tell me what's right.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

is tournament of survival gcw's tournament of death? cause i gotta be honest i skip out on that. a few deathmatches is fine but all deathmatches is a bit much for me, personally.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

that rules lol

e: hey quick q, I started checking out beyond recently, have they always had no titles of their own? it's almost jarring how they're able to book whole coherent shows without em, but it works.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

if i were running beyond i would simply have the wrestler who is currently the ace wear a hat that says "top dawg" on it. other wrestlers would come out and say "david starr i am the true top dawg of beyond wrestling" or whatever and then the victor of that match would show up to the next show wearing a big stupid baseball cap that says "top dawg"

this started as a joke but i'd love a fed that replaced belts with stupid hats.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

I Before E posted:

Presenting the MILF HUNTER Champion Of The World, Chad Bradwick!

yes main eventers are competing to be TOP DAWG and the midcarders put on thrilling 5 star classics for the title of Intercontinental MILF HUNTER, maybe get some beer holder hats for the tag teams, this is the future of wrestling baby

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

jeeeesus christ im watching the teddy hart poppin dogs and talkin hogs and god i've been in this situation so many times, at some guy's house who is oddly popular, and insists that everything is cool but you still feel like this guy could possibly snap at any moment, and you're just waiting until you can leave. and he just keeps telling worse and worse and worse stories and you just try to avoid saying anything just to keep from rocking the boat. like, chuck says maybe 20 words during the entire interview and looks so uncomfortable, and im right there with him. ive been at those gatherings hosted by dudes who have some sort of issues, and where the party seems like kind of a captive situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vzKgD89oOE

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i just sold a shirt design to trey miguel, im pretty excited to see that one become a real thing.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

lol im just imagining this meeting between cody and the bucks and shad khan where they pitch "okay so we want to do this thing where we have a big-budget wrestling show as a wwe competitor, but here's the catch - it will be good" and khan, intrigued, strokes his luxurious mustache.

not going to lie, they've got a good case for being handed the keys to such an endeavour. the bucks and kenny wrote the golden lovers reunion story with gedo's blessing iirc, and it was, literally, an international hit. they put on all in, an actual, successful ppv event, in a building the wwe regularly runs, and sold out in minutes (i was at work when tickets released, and welp lol i was busy for 10 minutes my bad). and being the elite has a dedicated fanbase, and exists as the outlet for the backstage skits and bits that njpw or roh might not facilitate, but would obviously be part of a big budget show. they've put together a good resume.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 31, 2018

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Anybody else watching beyond tonight?

yo

8-woman tag opener was fun. cant remember what the rest of the card is but i always like beyonds shows

e: redundancy

shiksa fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 1, 2019

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

can't wait to see stoke tear eddie apart.

e: vv thank you rad, i forgot that hot sauce/cassidy was on this show, hell yeah.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 1, 2019

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

oh my god an unprotected chairshot to the head right off the bat

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

oh poo poo simon grimm shaved his lil curly q mustache.

hes almost unrecognizable, looks more like hurricane helms than anything.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

ah the old "fake wedding proposal for heel heat" bit

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

freshly squeezed, baybee!!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i was there for the dreamer match. it really sucked!

e: i like pillman jr.'s characterization a lot, he just hasnt shown much in the ring yet. he's still pretty young though so he's got a lot of room to grow.

just looked it up, he's 25, still real young just not as much as i thought.

e2: i was not aware of the jordy peepee stuff!!

shiksa fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 4, 2019

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

There's a new $5 Wrestling on the Highspots Network.

ok i looked up the trailer on youtube and is this a promotion where they found everyone at the same weirdo factory that produces tim and eric guest stars

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

that's my ace

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

I thought that was an Abyss rip off on the poster. Apparently, it's the real Abyss.

hahaha wow "extreme chaos wrestling" huh? great name. just some fresh ideas here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Phenix Rising posted:

https://twitter.com/MLW/status/1083901123113541632?s=19

Who is Mance Warner and is he any good? Never heard of him before this.

the only thing that stuck out about him to me is that it seems like he's a stone cold tribute act with a couple filters thrown on it