Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hero vs Pentagon Jr had CRAZY heat, holy poo poo

Also we should be about due for a new PWG preview, yes?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Those cheapskates couldn't afford him.

I'm pretty sure they can afford a 6 pack of Natty Light and a sandwich

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Zandig doesn't get out of bed for four figures, boy.

(Actually, I have no idea. I just wanted to make that joke.)

That's because he doesn't own a bed

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm really happy to see wrestling in the UK has come roaring back.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
As long as Kurt Angle's granting wishes, I want him vs Hero. Angle in BOLA would be swell, too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
No title rematch for Roddy?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FAROOQ posted:

You saw a sober ric flair?

Much like the vaunted unicorn I am certain this does not exist

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
BOLA's a 16 man bracket, yes?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

It's been a 24-person bracket the last two years and since they've already announced it as a 3-day event I'm nearly certain that trend will continue.

Notable PWG regulars who aren't in the entrants so far: O'Reilly, Roddy, Sydal, Scurll, Thatcher, Galloway, Chuck and Trent. The G-1 tour will be over by then so Elgin and Omega might be available too. Probably not going to be a lot of surprises in the last 8, but I'm still holding out hope for Tozawa.

My guess is Kurt Angle. Or Rey Mysterio. I'd be more excited for the latter, mind.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

To return for a second to strange gimmicks, the greatest heel gimmick I've ever heard of was from the 80's and the dying days of the old British wrestling scene. I'm told someone worked almost exclusively the working mens clubs in the mining towns as Margret Thatchers illegitimate son. I've never been able to find any details on who he was or anything more about the gimmick but a couple of the old Joint Promotion workers mentioned him to me in passing.

That might well be one of the greatest cheap heat gimmicks ever.

That is stunningly ballsy. Surprised he didn't get stabbed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I can't believe Teddy Hart still bothers to wrestle.

Being on the run for sexual assault ain't cheap, I guess

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

the charges were recently dropped which is why he started getting higher profile work again

Lack of evidence, or....?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pinkie strikes me as a guy who'd be a great tag guy paired with somebody who was a terrific wrestler but didn't have a ton of personality. Or a huge guy that allowed Pinkie to mouth off a lot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
PWG also has a deal with Highspots which probably cuts back on production costs for DVD's, where they make pretty solid money. Plus they probably get a small cut from the Highspots channel.

Also, I suspect Hero or Cobb is gonna win the whole shebangabang.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

Hero would make sense if he hadn't already lost to Sabre at Mystery Vortex 3 last year. Granted, Zack didn't have the title back then, but I don't think they're going to do another title change so soon and having Hero win and then lose the title shot immediately doesn't really help anybody. Sure it's kind of crazy that a guy who's been in PWG for as long as Hero has yet to win BOLA, but the goal of the tournament should be to elevate someone and he doesn't need it. Remember that Roddy hasn't won BOLA either, and he hadn't been champion despite being in the company for like ten years until ROH forced their hand and they needed to get the belt off O'Reilly. Cobb... maybe if he beats Trevor Lee in two weeks, but I have trouble seeing a guy that new to the company getting the BOLA win rub. Even Speedball had been on four shows before making the finals last year, even though his first win came the show before.

The way I was looking at it is that there's a pretty small cross-section of people who are A) not brand new to PWG or close enough to it that they haven't won a match yet, B) haven't already won the tournament in the past (since there's never been a two-time winner yet), or C) haven't already lost to Sabre in PWG, because I really don't think the person who wins the tournament will go on to win the title (at least not with the shot they get from winning BOLA). Cobb will be one if he wins against Trevor, but otherwise the list is Tommy End, Sami Callihan, Mark Andrews, Matt Sydal, Will Ospreay, and Liger. Tommy's heavily rumored to be signed by WWE and BOLA weekend will probably be his last shows with the company, and I seriously doubt they'll fly Liger back in for a title match outside of the context of BOLA. Of the remaining four, I think Ospreay makes the most sense as he made it to the semifinals last year.

I think there's a need to get the belt off Sabre if he's signed with WWE, and if he has, Hero's a stable guy the crowd loves whom we know can have a great match with Sabre. Plus he's never won BOLA, and they've been wrestling each other everywhere with Hero sometimes winning. I think my issue with Ospreay winning is his body's in rough shape and he has his NJPW commitments, plus his time in the UK.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 16, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Congrats go out to Dustin, your new Evolve tag champs

With whom? Dan Barry or Beretta?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

chuck taylor is mad about the success of his peers and began working for tna so that means he turned heel and joined drew galloway's team with ec3, and chris hero

Awesome. Chuck rules.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That might be the most reckless bump I've ever seen on an indy show. And I saw a guy miss a spear off of the top of a semi onto a table.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Watching some old PWG and holy poo poo Necro Butcher is soft spoken when he's out of character

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also https://twitter.com/OfficialPWG/status/755172846435864576

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That 10 man tag is gonna be a massacre.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sprecherscrow posted:

I haven't followed indy wrestling in a long time, do Maff and Homicide not hate each other anymore? I just remember Homicide saying "it's him or me" to all the northeast indies and calling Maff a pedophile leading to Maff being blackballed from wrestling except for the odd appearance in Puerto Rico or something.

IIRC, the beef was squashed. I believe Maff nailed Homicide's young sister or something like that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I can confirm Silas is a pretty good heel at live shows. Did a great job of riling up my town in a match against Kazarian.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

I'm gonna be at all of them, hmu

Colour me surprised you have any interest in a CHIKARA show

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Wow, I guess APW is booking Sabu in September...I didn't know he was still wrestling

Meanwhile, he needs hip surgery https://www.gofundme.com/2d3fqx8

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

schweens posted:

Ah so the vader dick pic was just viral marketing

Only in the sense that he has the clap

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

He has me blocked. Good to know.

So this begs the question, what'd you do?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Buck Nasty reminds me of Chris Hamrick, which is a total compliment. A manager/wrestler who bumps like a madman and talks well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

Hope Brian Cage beats Davey Vega with the Steiner Screwdriver in about 2 minutes in the first match

Here I was thinking I was alone in finding Davey Vega boring

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Did he somehow end up on a no-fly list or something?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kids named Owen=good for business, apparently

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What theme does Cody use on the indies?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For a company that is kinda non-committal to consistent storylines, PWG sure does have a high batting average when it comes to who should go over.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

He gets to be a top guy in Lucha Underground as opposed to just another midcarder in WWE, and iirc he doesn't like the travel aspect of wrestling so LU shooting entirely in LA is appealing as well. I dunno if he still cares about legit acting anymore or not, although WWE Studios is also much more of a thing than it was when he left so he could potentially still do that in the fed.

He's got 15 movies either in the can, in pre-production, or filming. They're probably all poo poo, but I doubt he cares as long as the cheque is cut.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's 160 shows from PWG on there, and I'd say more than not are from the vastly superior "Excalibur does commentary live instead of overdubbing in a studio or whatever" era.

My favorite PWG show of all time is All Star Weekend IX, N1, headlined by one of the craziest matches I've ever seen, a Guerilla Warfare match between Drake Younger and Sami Callahan. It's on there, too.

Speaking of PWG, here's how cody Rhodes felt about BOLA

quote:

Random notes from my PWG experience...

-Sami Callihan is an incredibly hard working man. And hard hitting.

-The respect the crew/wrestlers from this weekend showed for Jushin Thunder Liger was lovely. A lot about pro-wrestling has changed, but taking care of those who paved the way remains paramount. Also, undoubtedly he can still go.

-Bittersweet. I didn't win "BOLA"...but any man that not only hits me with an umbrella, but also kisses my wife and hits me below the belt...that man is certainly a "Villain". Congratulations Marty. You have a receipt coming.

-I did get a Pentagon shirt. I wish WWE would sign him and put his face and mask everywhere, because watching him through the curtain Friday night mall I could think was "this dude is magnificent"

-Ricochet is a movie star. (5,000 candles in wind)

-Tommy End, Tomasso, and Cedric are about to have the time of their lives.

-The Young Bucks are the tried and proven best tag-team in the world. I don't know how a soul could fathom otherwise. (Finding out they are adult men who have children left me slightly flabbergasted. They look so young)

-Maybe my favorite moment of the weekend was watching two legit rear end kickers in Jeff Cobb and Matthew Riddle skirmish for a minute.

-there was a six-man tag team match on Saturday that was excellent. Madness. Insanity. Flips and dives like you've never seen. A great pro-wrestling match from any standpoint.

-Knowing that I'll be heading into ROH's "Final Battle" on 12/2...I watched one particular mans matches very closely.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 7, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Did Trent and Chuck have a falling out or is Trent too busy doing stuff for NJPW?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TUS posted:

Dan Berry is a good replacement for Trent. My eyes and ears will be pleased.

Plus, the name "Officer and a Gentleman" for a tag team rules.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is that the first PWG match to get 5 stars? I imagine some of the Guerilla Warfare ones were close, but can't remember any others.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Weird seeing him get serious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf6a5ovmp2U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not to be confused with Post-It Del Rio