Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
so WhatCulture has a wrestling promotion now. they're gonna be taping in the UK this month, and Jay Lethal is gonna defend the ROH title there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLiqUdqG95g

they apparently sold out one taping and added another so good for them? they also have the extremely good domain name of https://wc.pw/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

x-post from the Giant Bomb thread: so who's going to go see Dan Ryckert do comedy wrestling with me next Friday for $6

https://twitter.com/UCBW/status/764178421543034880

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

x-post from the Giant Bomb thread: so who's going to go see Dan Ryckert do comedy wrestling with me next Friday for $6

update to this:

https://twitter.com/UCBW/status/765637974646202368

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I had no idea Evolve 67 was in Brooklyn this weekend but it's in the rear end end of Bensonhurst

do I want to spend an hour and ten minutes on the subway to go see Cody Rhodes

if any goons are going I might go but I doubt I'm gonna convince my roommmate (even tho he loves the CWC dudes) :(

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

J'phnny Wrestling

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

anyone going to evolve 72 in queens? it's local for me and the lineup seems pretty good http://www.dgusa.tv/events/evolve-72

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i very very briefly considered going to this but i have a concert i'm goin to tonight anyways

was only $100 for the Ryback VIP Package though!!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

when is gabe gonna announce the Evolve 72 card so I can decide whether to bother going

I think I'm gonna get GA tickets, anyone been to La Boom for a show before? I'm gonna try to convince my roommate to come with me day of the show, but he's not a tall dude, and I'd feel bad if he couldn't see the action

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh lol I was looking at http://www.dgusa.tv/events/evolve-72 which only has a list of some people attending

that doesn't seem like a great card so far. IIRC it had Ricochet on it originally but he had to pull out for some reason?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

so who's going to this because I really want to see Evolve and this is local and this sounds like two fat guys I wanna see

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

evolve 74 tickets are up, any goons going? http://www.dgusa.tv/events/evolve-74

thinking about jumping on a pair of front row tickets but I don't think I'm going to be able to convince my roommate to go purely off the promise of Ricochet :(

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

update: me and my roommate got first row tickets to see chris hero live at evolve 74 it's a thanksgiving miracle

i look forward to being landed on by ricochet

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

evolve 74 card is up

quote:

EVOLVE Tag Team Championship Match
Catch Point of Tracy Williams & Fred Yehi defend vs. Ricochet & Peter Kaasa

Special Challenge Match
Cody vs. Ethan Page w/ The Gatekeepers

Special Attraction Match
Chris Hero vs. Dick Togo

The Rivalry Comes To EVOLVE
Matt Riddle vs. Jeff Cobb

Special Attraction Match
Drew Gulak vs. Jaka

David vs. Goliath
Darby Allin vs. Brian Cage

Bonus Match
DUSTIN vs. Chris Dickinson

never seen Evolve before but excited about this card. Brian Cage!!!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i'm glad i get to see chris hero this weekend before rovert murders him

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i usually wouldn't say that a 36-year old fat dude would be doing anything in NXT other than as a trainer, but then again, we have samoa joe now, so maybe anything's possible

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

hey I have a free extra front row ticket to Evolve 74 today cuz my roommate broke his foot and can't make it. if anyone's going and wants to move up to ringside for the low low price of having to hang out with me during the show and explain to me who all the non-Ricochet-Chris-or-Cody wrestlers are, let me know!

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 10, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Good venue and good seat for EVOLVE, heck yeah

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Bumpy Johnson posted:

Did anyone take you up on your spare ticket?

No but there was a massive dude next to me who spread over two seats so it worked out

This guy is who I'm taking about btw

https://twitter.com/heelbotch/status/807739602354085889

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

holy gently caress. Evolve is running a double header with this, but I hadn't heard of True Will Tier 1 (true will is the name of the show i guess), so I was going to go to the Queens show the night before because it was may more convenient. gently caress. This is like an hour and a half by train but maybe worth it anyways

I've also never heard of anyone else in this promotion

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 2, 2017

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I have Evolve thoughts, having gone to both 82 & 83 this weekend!

They were both solid shows with kinda underwhelming main events. I hope Darby disappears for a while (though I wish him the best on his injury recovery) and finds a new gimmick that isn't "the grossest bumps of all time." He's been an over face and I think now he could turn that into something less stupid.

Ethan Page/ZSJ seems like an underwhelming matchup, but I'm very hype for Matt Riddle/Keith Lee (which I believe has never happened before!). Keith Lee was by far the most over person in the building tonight, with only Riddle and ZSJ coming anywhere close. Lio Rush was awesome and I thought his match with ZSJ was ZSJ's best match since winning the belt for sure, that dude needs to stick around. Kyle O'Reilly didn't wow me that much tonight, but his match with Keith Lee yesterday was real good, and I'm interested to see what they do with him. Definitely wrestling fairly heelish this weekend.

The tag team situation in Evolve is kind of hilariously dire. Like, I like all four of the dudes who were in Catch Point, they're solid wrestlers, but they literally traded the belts from Catch Point to Catch Point, and only Stokely coming is as their new manager and loving things up keeps me from completely rolling my eyes. I hope Yehi finds a new partner and tries to reclaim the belts or something, that could be fun.

Also, somehow, against all odds, Austin Theory is getting over. The man needs new gear, though.

Oh, and it was rad as gently caress to get to see David Starr as a surprise replacement for the injured Darby at 83! He did an awesome job against Keith Lee. Would love to see more of him in Evolve, if his schedule allows.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Progress show in NYC is a double header with EVOLVE

It's run in a rec center gymnasium way the gently caress out in Queens so I guess they let Gabe pick the venue

this venue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tn-zWjxNrs

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Wait is it farther than House of Glory's current venue? I keep wanting to go to their shows but loving Jamaica is too far out; I think this one's at least off the 7 line.

It's not as far as the NYC Arena in Jamaica, which is their main one, I think? But I think HoG is now running this place too.

This one's off the 7 just before Citi Field: https://www.google.com/maps/place/E...rCVQQ_BIIggEwDg

I live in East Williamsburg so I'd probably just cab it (like I do to La Boom for EVOLVE), but yeah, still pretty far out.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

3 rows of PROGRESS reserved seating went instantly, jump on the GA right now if you're going

https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/1494480

Row 2 still available for EVOLVE:

https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/1494517

I got 2nd row seats for PROGRESS but will probably get GA for EVOLVE

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Willninho posted:

Evolve this Sunday is like 10 minutes away from me and there's one appealing match. Gabriel do better (I'm probably going).

i'm going to this show and extremely fuckin hype for Riddle/Lee, ZSJ/Jaka,, Dickinson/Yehi, and seeing Trent Baretta tbh

also $25 tickets and a $20 r/t Lyft I'm splitting with my roommate make it kinda worth it by default

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the gatekeepers exploding is the angle that will bring evolve to the big time, i can feel it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Saturday
PWX: This Is How We Do It - 3 p.m. ET
A Quickie w/ White Mike feat. Corey Hollis

uh

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

noted local NY wrestling jerk Darius Carter busted Pete Dunne's head open last night, requiring like 15 stitches, so Dunne's off the PROGRESS NYC & Boston cards this weekend :smith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

trip report from the ground:

show was hot as balls. we had reserved seats but they were turning people away at the door for GA who had tickets. no AC or fans in the building; luckily it was "only" 75F out because NYC is regularly 90-95F in the summer and people would have died. loving Gabe.

when we got there, they were out of water at the concession stand. there was no booze (which probably literally saved some lives tonight) and we got ginger ale, and lasted through the first four matches okay. the venue had only one mens bathroom with one stall and one urinal so I went once at the start after a 25 minute line and held it for the rest, always fun.

first set was great with no troubles really; they opened a lot of standing room on the floor that seemed to not block many people in the first bleachers. really no problems. I heard at this point they had restocked water bottles (only $2 for one, at least, but still jeez)

when I went to the concessions during intermission, the pipes above the concession stand were leaking hard, and made the entire floor slippery. I heard from someone on Twitter that they slipped and twisted their ankle, which, yikes. got more water and things seemed okay.

after a great opener to the second set, in the second match of the set (SPPT vs BSB as Seven & Bate), TK did a top rope dive onto BSB and landed straight on his feet. it was on the other side of the ring from me, and I thought that it looked kinda bad from the corner of my eye, but figured at worst it'd just be a rolled ankle and he'd walk it off. people on the other side didn't seem concerned at the time, until, after 15-30 seconds of brawling on the outside, the ref went to TK (on the ground) and threw up the X.

this is when things unraveled in a really, really weird way. so first, they stop the match. BSB and Banks are on the side near me, ref is giving them instructions. I can't see TK, but at one point, the entire crowd on the bleacher goes EWWWW at once, which I first heard as a boo and wondered if they had called off the match or something. Turns out TK had dislocated his ankle (according to the ring announcer) and it was gross. no one is panicking en masse - the people Tweeting about that are assholes, IMO, though I do understand why lots of individuals might panic there, but the crowd mood was generally tense but safe. They were constantly shushing us (like after we cheered when TK sat up) because of the medic situation.

about the same time, a dude setting the row in front of me and a few seats to the left falls out of his seat. there's a giant puddle of poo poo on his chair and it's clear dude passed out. we shouted for medical, solid 20 seconds later the ref comes over and is clearly confused. at this point, they were still trying to find the NYSAC-mandated paramedic backstage (this part the ring announcer clearly said into the mic; this is not speculation). they got some water, dude is sitting and talking at least, but can't walk, so Seven and Dunne pick him up and carry him out to a side exit. no one ever cleans up the puddle of poo poo.

me and my friend move to stand on the side (away from the poo poo). TK gets picked up by Dijak, Lee, a few others and brought behind the curtain (they had found the medic but had no stretcher, I guess; thank god there wasn't a neck injury).

BSB and Banks finish the match as a 2v1 handicap which I'm told was great; big heat for Dunne getting thrown out, etc. I say "told" cuz I could not concentrate at all after all that just happened, and left after grabbing some water for the road. There's no way I would have been able to watch WALTER v Riddle after that; I've been to shows where people passed out but after all that and people tweeting about how unsafe it was I decided to just bail.

As we waited for our Lyft, there were two ambulances and a fire truck with lights on outside. Two cops came up to us and asked what had happened, and we told him there was a wrestling show, a wrestler was injured, and people had passed out (the latter is why these two had been called; I assume they arrived to see there was already another ambulance and were justifiably worried). Someone got wheeled onto one ambulance, but if it was TK, he must have been in the back for 25+ minutes before they got him out (pleeeease do not take this as anything other than speculation; it could have been someone else who passed out).

that was uh... really surreal. It could have gone so much worse. The sad truth is that the first half of the card was so awesome, and I cannot imagine any of this was PROGRESS's fault. My two main concerns are (a) whether there is an apology for booking and overselling the venue and (b) whether there is an explanation of why they had no stretcher.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

to be clear, so that I don't come off as too overly dramatic (I just like typing lots of words), I'm guessing like 9/10 people coming away from that show will be "that was a great show with an unfortunate injury and it was oversold and too hot," and not, like, a tale of hell on earth or anything? I think I just mentally nope'd out after that dude poo poo himself near me, which like, feels like a reasonable thing to do. but I do think it was a total safety clusterfuck and people should be accountable for that

will be an interesting VOD release, to say the least. there were some legit HMs there! I kinda just wish the fire department had actually shut it down after the first match back from intermission

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i just realized the poo poo seat is totally going to be visible in the VOD at some point, because it was first row. maybe they cleaned it later, obviously there were lots of other people not happy to be sitting near it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

davidbix posted:

I still don't understand how this happened.

I'm not either, but a decent chunk of the crew (including Bate and Seven) was at Penn Station this morning, so I think everyone is on their way. Seeing them roll up while I was in line for my Amtrak (I'm going to Montreal for the week :toot:) was a particularly surreal cap to the last 12 hours.

https://twitter.com/thisis_progress/status/896711281343963136

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

powerbomb.tv sounding increasingly interesting. It's probably time for me to cancel FloSlam: the only WWN I really feel the need to watch are the live EVOLVE shows I go to, and there's basically nothing else worthwhile on the platform.

powerbomb's run a few live shows, right? how's that worked out so far?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/JackHeartless/status/904231111500238848

:vince:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

worth noting the two Cedric matches (vs ZSJ and vs Yehi) won't be streamed

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

that's actually probably an accurate statement but so is floslam's

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this 4v4 is an easy MOTYC

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

at least the new events page like... functions... but holy poo poo https://www.floslam.tv/events

also the "completed" section lists evolve 92 and 93 lol. floslam.png:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 27, 2017

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

seriously next time i see matt riddle selling merch i'm going to give him a loving day planner

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

dick justice just murdered a camerman live on powerbomb.tv, what a finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

jaka missed the gently caress outta that dive, and i've seen him crash over the barricade into the second row at La Boom in the same manner before, so I can't really get behind Dirty Daddy's actions here tbh, as much as I like Doom Patrol