Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012
I don't know if he's come down in price now that he's attempting to be at least semi-active, but if you guys heard Zandig's asking price before all of this, you'd laugh so hard. Mind you, he gave that price as a way to make it worth his time if someone was dumb enough to want him, but still. Absurdly high.

I'm biased since I'm a huge fan of deathmatch wrestling and his style, but I think that even in his older age, he can be a good commodity to any promoter if used right. I think the way that his "feud" with Joey Janela has been done has been outstanding, and really sets GCW's show apart from the pack when it comes to deathmatch tournament shows this year. They stand to do really well with that one, it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

How is this not the same night as UFC at MSG?

I tried really hard but it just wasn't in the cards this time. :(

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012
If a couple of the planned matches for the GCW Janela show actually happen, that show is going to be some serious can't miss weirdness. Those WrestleCon Supershows have set the bar pretty high, but this might clear it.

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012

oatgan posted:

people kept saying this but nobody ever named a promotion he was working for so i wouldn't worry about it (yet)

The whole thing in question was taken out of context; he had worked a show like the week prior to his arrest. Him being on the show was brought up, but it seems people thought it was after the arrest.

Rude Boy Riley also keeps getting brought up because there's a sleazy story going around the NYC scene about how referee Kris Levin is still quietly defending him and hanging out with him, including bringing a young fan that had just turned 18 over to Riley's house. Whole thing didn't even phase me until I'd heard that the fan may possibly be on the spectrum, and the kid's mother had repeatedly asked that they not go over to his house for obvious reasons. Whole thing is super sketchy, and I'm not sure why anyone would still want to associate themselves with the guy, but at least it's not going unnoticed.

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012
I got a laugh out of the fact that they opened in literally the next warehouse unit over from the CZW school. May wrestling’s pettiness know no bounds.

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

Why would you do this unannounced?

Also: Holy poo poo, is that Sonny Oono?

They’d already sold the show out in full ages ago, so there was really nothing to gain in advertising it in advance. Plus, a rare opportunity to do something this cool for a friend and mentor.

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012
For those who appreciate demolition derby style four-way matches:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

Maybe I was just spoiled by PROGRESS NYC, though. Highlight of that show being the extremely-from-the-Bronx Latina woman in front of me who had more knowledge of the progress product than literally anyone I'd ever met before who was there with her sort of following along girlfriend :allears:

Based solely off of your description, I’m pretty sure the same woman was there last night soooooo

I enjoyed the show immensely for what it was - an early 2000s Jersey indy show filtered through the lens of people that know how to sell it to a more mainstream crowd through the art of production. Short Jinsei Shinzaki, you absolutely could’ve seen an analogous card in a VFW Hall in Morris County in a broke rear end ring about 10-15 years ago and it would’ve been depressing. Jazz it up a little bit, sell it well with incredible videos and just channel all energy into making sure everyone is having fun, and you’ve got a great night.