Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

mariooncrack posted:

Honestly, czw was pretty good back then. I think it was hell freezes over with Daniel Bryan facing Chris Hero. That should be the start of the feud. I also remember liking best of the best that year since it had some roh guys. There was a barbed wire match with bj Whitmer and I think necro butcher that was fun too. I used to have a dvd comp of all of it together.

Cage of death from 2006 I think was really good too.

that's when mike burns was booking instead of zandig (and he helped book most of roh vs czw). zandig got so pissed off about the roh feud that he shoved the event production guy down the stairs at the arena.

the guy i loved from that feud that i wish stuck on somewhere was nate webb. dude was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Holy gently caress so Zandig just rolled up out of nowhere and started being a huge rear end in a top hat? God, I legitimately feel kind of bad for Deej.

congrats, this is the first time ever that dj hyde received someone's empathy.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Really? He's always seemed like a decent dude, regardless of what their crowd thinks of him.

i was mostly being an rear end, but dj's known to be a bit petulant in his actions with other companies/jealously. the first pro wrestling day for example.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

NickRoweFillea posted:

I'm watching this longass Trevor Lee CWF match and it's pretty good

it still blows my mind that burlington, nc of all places produced him and everett and there wasn't any decent wrestling around there when i was at school.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
ok i'll bite. was it in the four figures?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

NickRoweFillea posted:

I don't think I've ever heard Trevor Lee talk until I watched the Best Friends preview with him and Everett. I'm not surprised at what he sounds like.

it's very rare that a burlington, nc guy would sound more city than anyone else but yup cameron.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

yea ok posted:

who are:
mark haskins

A guy that was in the DG dojo forever and apparently changed his flippy style since then.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
brola

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Hasn't been 16 for several years. It's probably 24 since they haven't announced a final entrant.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
dragon gate is only running houseshows around bola.

be still my cold black heart.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
before i order evolve, did anyone have problems with the ippv from last night?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
lol if somehow darby allen gets the fall and joins. that'd be amazing.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

exploding mummy posted:

$50 gets you front row reserved at Evolve

you won't see dalton castle, kyle o'reilly, kamaitachi, liger or the aaa/lu guys along with the evolve talent at evolve.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Grozz Nuy posted:

Big ups to NQQ for helping me and his brother get tickets thanks to all the other jokers from last year's crew skipping out

And yeah, people who can't go or bought too many tickets are pretty cool about selling them for face value rather than jacking their asking price way up. I recommend following Excalibur on Twitter if you're not already, he'll retweet people trying to resell tickets to shows all the time.

wonder the way that i'm 3 for 3 with pwg tickets?

if you trust in don fujii you'll get tickets.

hope everyone has a blast this year. bring sunscreen and water for the lines; last year the wait was brutal and someone fainted and they called ems.

also grozz has to chant for tozawa because i'm not there.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
guys the trick to always getting pwg tickets is to have a photo of Don Fujii open on your desktop as you try to get tickets. It is not loving hard.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

rovert posted:

This is one of the more Creative things on the indies awhile.

it's a wonder what understanding filters/effects in an editing program and basic video production can do when used properly!

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
the gabe/gargano shoot was a pretty good insight into the DGUSA till grapplefuck era of Evolve if you are bored/have $15 bucks.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
last night's show was alright. the storylines were strong and gabe's doing a good job of weaving thatcher's angle in with catch point and catch point vs galloway's team vs gargano/page. the matches just, by large, didn't match up. i'm usually one of the most vocal gabe detractors with how big of a mess 2013-2015 was in evolve/death of dgusa, but for right now, he's been on a streak of being one of the better bookers in the us.

the opener with tjp/cedric was very good, but everything else outside of the riddle/thatcher match disappointed. catch point vs jigsaw/kaasa was a weird match up that has me convinced that peter kaasa has the biggest disparity between what he's doing (lucharesu flips and awkward grappling) with what he probably should be doing (more of a uhaa/crews power style with specific timing for his acrobatics). page/dustin was a sloppy brawl with page being the biggest dork i've seen and just not meshing. gulak/nese was good but only good. thatcher/riddle was incredible and one of the best thatcher matches i've seen. riddle, for being under two years in, is one of the best talents in evolve and they really worked the nhb gimmick in a smart way. cody/zsj was just ok. weird match-up and it's obvious that cody's going to need time to either transition into the not-wwe style or he's just not going to get it. his new theme/gear are incredibly dorky and him and zsj didn't mesh. he did cut a good go home promo.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

oatgan posted:

God that Page/DUSTIN match was terrible. If you hate this dude so much why are you stopping in the middle of the match to grab the house mic so you can apologize for botching a spot

because he's now poo poo pee! gotta get on the house mic to make some burns when i slip and dive into the ringside table. i've seen a lot of stinkers in chikara with dustin, but that might have been the worst match of his i've seen in the last seven years. dustin needs to full on embrace being the dirtbag we all know he is and page needs to talk josh alexander into coming down and carrying his rear end.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

oatgan posted:

The main event was extremely bizarre and easily the worst thing all weekend if we're including the pre and post match stuff. I thought the title match wasn't anywhere near as bad as the people savaging it. Stuff before that was all good except for whatever the hell Peter Kaasa was doing. Cody/Hero and Riddle/End were both great.

i think this weekend really exposed how sloppy kaasa is. and evolve needs a better sound tech because they blew out their speakers with even trashy tim's guitar theme that i can't place.

cody's second night gear was miles ahead of how bad it was on friday. ethan page is trash.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that the first PWG match to get 5 stars? I imagine some of the Guerilla Warfare ones were close, but can't remember any others.

yep. dave didn't start doing pwg reviews until he started seeing the show in person.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Willninho posted:

So Evolve really did a half a year bad Ethan Page apology tour to set up him turning heel again?

yeah it felt really half hearted and and had a funny bad brawl with dustin.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

oatgan posted:

ethan page loving sucks

he doesn't even have a good theme anymore.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

oatgan posted:

it's not trash it's all garbage

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

The_Rob posted:

May I ask who the Indy guy who was a dick to chuck is?

It's the former big indie dude that's a dick to everyone

low ki

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

is that the show in spartanburg? because if so gently caress yes i gotta go. and i can go and make fun of fray if he's there.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
love too see badly applied photoshop filters on my big wrestle boy matches.

(in all sincerity, all of those matches featuring wrestle boys look dope)

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
big match
big guy
big territory

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

big match
big guy
big territory

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

rovert posted:

https://twitter.com/gradowrestling/status/789147931270115329

Maybe one day why this was delayed for so long will come out.

takes that long to do a subtitle track for grado?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Suplex Liberace posted:

realistically what promotions could be on here without ditching their streaming service.

ROH, TNA (I don't know what their agreement is with Fight Network for the next time Dixie shirks a debt), CMLL, AAA, AJPW, DG (could but doubt it with partial ownership being their TV network), Big Japan, Zero One, W-1, PWG (unlikely), AAW, PWX, Rev Pro, Beyond, probably a bunch of other japanese, american or european indies that I can't think of.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

EugeneJ posted:

Wasn't it like H2 or something

THE SHOW ENTERS WHEN THE FANS ENTER THE BUILDIGN!!!@!@!

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
yup. i don't think tickets even went on sale.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

oatgan posted:

because tournaments are the thing everyone does now PWX in North Carolina just started announcing names for the X16 on November 19th and 20th

Tracer X
Trevor Lee
Jason Cade
Darius Lockhart
Davey Richards
James Drake
Ethan Case
Anthony Henry
Martin Stone
Zack Sabre Jr
Matt Riddle

PWX is good and these shows would make a great jumping on point. Good mix of local guys and Names. If you live in the area check them out!

p.s. book Jason Cade

debating making the trip up to Charlotte for this.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

RealFoxy posted:

I can't wait for next world champion, Gran Akuma

the whole gran akuma situation with dgusa was real interesting. probably led to that retirement (and i wouldn't blame him)

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

TV Zombie posted:

Can you provide details?

during the first few shows, the dg guys were getting banged up and akuma was viewed, by them, as at fault.

one story is that they saw he was keeping knee braces under his pads and that freaked them out. didn't want to get messed up by a guy that they viewed as unsafe. dg runs one of the most strenuous schedules and they were sending over their top guys and have had bad experiences (roddy nearly paralyzing naruki doi) so they were incredibly skittish about what us talent was stiff or not. this happened before akuma's fallout with chikara and he mentioned it somewhere as a reason he was scaling back as he was a huge michinoku pro/toryumon fan and it was disappointing to him.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Steen also said that the entire time he was in DG, he felt like the stable they put him with were trying to use the language barrier to try and get him to embarrass himself, like they'd ask him to say stuff on the mic, then Steen, being wise enough to smell a setup, would ask "Oh, sure, but what does it mean in English? I wanna understand what I'm saying" and then they'd kinda hem and haw, and he'd refuse to do it, because they wouldn't really explain anything. That and how much his family means to him really explain why he didn't do Japan.

Yeah that was a real weird period (2006ish), even though Steen only did one tour. They went from no gaijin in the first two years of DG to then having tons of them, and shoving almost all of them into Muscle Outlaw'z. They definitely got a lot better since then, but you still had guys like AR Fox and Chuck Taylor who weren't fits and it stood out.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
nick loving gage

is

back

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Can nick gage get the okay from his PO to work Florida?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Enjoying how Excalibur has become Chuck Taylor and Dan Barry's Ed McMahon on An Officer and A Gentleman. Matt Riddle is the guest this edition and he does not disappoint. He really is MMA's RVD.

They've got a spin off series potentially with Matt Riddle just going to zoos and staring down bears and Komodo Dragons.