Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Moved to Austin in March and am so glad that WrestleCircus exists. Bummed that they may be moving to a new venue, though, because it's like another 20 minutes from where they are now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Next weekend is Party World Rasslin Dinoslam and I am so stoked. It'll be my first PWR show since moving to Austin and I don't fully know what to expect.

https://youtu.be/MbJHevxdSBo

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I heard that only like 3 people on the roster are actually trained. Are their shows any good? And why hasn't anyone been paralyzed yet?

edit: spelling and proper word use is important.

I know very little about it. It seems more comedy than wrestling so I assume not everybody is trained, but also assume they're not doing high risk moves. I'm kind of expecting the same kind of thing as Kaiju back in the early 2000s.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Wrestlecircus is fun but Jesus loving Christ the shows need to be shorter. We bailed with 3 matches left to go because it was already 4 hours in. No show ever needs to be 5.5 hours long.

Lucha/Morrison also went way too long and Sydal/Wentz was not necessary at all. Could have cut those for sure, as much as I love seeing Morrison and hearing him poo poo on Texas.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It still would've been too long if not for flight delays or whatever. They always book way too many matches. We've been to the last three shows and they get to be excruciating.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Mob posted:

and Wrestlecircus is overbooked because they're basically the promotion version of "get your poo poo in", except instead of wrestlers doing moves it's promoters/bookers building fantasy cards

That's what I figured as well. Every card is billed as like an indie super card. Maybe book two shows a month if you want to have all of those matches? Or maybe just chill your assess and try to limit your shows to 3-3.5 hours.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Why do Punk and Colt hate each other now?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DM Punk posted:

Leva's a regular there. She had a good match vs Mia Yim recently.

I refuse to believe Leva has ever had a good match with anybody. She's consistently the worst part of seeing Wrestlecircus, aside from the shows all being like 5 hours long.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DM Punk posted:

Her last SHINE title match vs Lufisto was a MOTYC. Legit good by any standards. She's had plenty of solid matches against Lufisto and others in the past. There's also a bunch of good tag matches she's had with Mia Yim as the Lucha Sisters too.

She's never gonna be great in the ring, but her charisma and cosplay stuff can be really entertaining. She has a lot of fans.

Yeah, the cosplay stuff is fun and my only real exposure to her is NXT and Wrestlecircus so my view is very skewed. What I've seen in person at Wrestlecircus has just been bad and looks like someone who has had like, three weeks of training.

Definitely willing to give the benefit of the doubt and check out some other matches!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So Jervis Cottonbelly is now Gentleman Jervis and his entrance at WrestleCircus was met with a "gently caress Chikara" chant while the commentators noted that his belly was no longer made of cotton and speculated as to what other soft things it could be made of. His mask also no longer has a monocle.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Every card is 10 matches. Always. They're never gonna get themselves under 4 hours and it sucks.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Qoey posted:

So should we hate Mike Quackenbush now?

It's a weird thing. Jervis is a Chikara creation, right? And the guy playing him now has been doing it all over the place for a long time. So it's strange that they would wait so long to copyright the name, but it makes sense that they would want to I guess? I dunno. Wrestling is weird.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Just saw this and am SO drat HAPPY. 10 matches crammed in there was way too much, and there were always these filler matches. And what sucks is (almost) every match is good so it's hard to complain about seeing some of these wrestlers, but it was still way too long of a show.

This is awesome news.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Yep, this makes me way more likely to go back.

Let's just hope the AC and bathrooms don't break again...

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Chris James 2 posted:

They made a typo, it's now 8 hours per show

5 of those hours are just the entrances for everybody in than night's scramble match.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So at WrestleCircus tonight the Rachel Ellering/Christi Jaynes match was a weird mess that ended with an even weirder rollup and Rachel just booking it out of there. Anyone have the SCOOPZ on what the hell is up there?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DM Punk posted:

I have no idea, but it almost seems like Christi might have been in no condition to wrestler ala Sting/Jeff Hardy? Either that or Christi just didn't wanna do what was planned. Very odd either way.

Yeah, that could be. Usually she's way more animated and she just seemed off. Definitely strange.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

That's insane. Ellering should have been booked to win anyway but it's nuts that they went out there so unsure of what to do. Really weird feeling in the room the entire time because I don't think there was a single move that wasn't a botch, then lots of standing around talking.

Equally bizarre that WC is siding with Christi.

Also, in the future if someone asks if anyone has the details on something and you do, they also want to know the details and not just a confirmation that you know things. Thanks!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It was still shorter than their other shows. I know they had 8 scheduled, then the pre-show match with a dude named Meatball, a "match" where Lance Hoyt kicked him once then won, then Hoyt's open challenge.

So technically yes, but even still it was done by 10:30 which meant we got to get chilli dogs and milkshakes before Sandy's closed. It was a good night.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 8, 2017

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The latest Wrestlecircus show had a crowd that I was actually certain existed for the main event, which is a massive improvement from the past twitch ones.

I really loving wanted to stay for the main event where Strickland cashed in because I assumed it was going to happen, but it was such a long god drat night. Super frustrating. It's much easier to hang for a 4-hour show and still enjoy yourself.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

What ever happened to Scoot Andrews?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Maybe they can hire a proofreader before they start hiring new promoters.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I saw Juvi at Wrestle Circus a couple months back. He wears (I think) the old Cruiserweight Title to the ring. It was weird.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

EugeneJ posted:

Buffalo's wrestling scene looks decent for the first time in forever - this is at the same venue that ROH will be at:

What the gently caress is This? PUP, Reggie, and a bunch of wrestling sounds awesome. Is this like an annual thing or a weird one-off event?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It really feels like the WWE Network caused this boom we're seeing in indie wrestling. It feels like indie wrestling has been way bigger than ever the past couple of years and I think a lot of that has to do with it being more accessible through streaming services and partnerships like the one above. I wonder if anyone in WWE thought that their own Network would have this kind of effect on the industry as a whole? Or maybe I'm just overthinking it and the "boom" would have happened either way, but it definitely feels related.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I really wish they mic'd the crowd better because everyone was real excited when he showed up and this video just makes it sound flat.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Do any of the wrestling streaming services just have a constant live stream of replays or matches or whatever? I'm always interested in more wrestling in my life, but I feel like the easiest way for me to get into it is to just load up the app (assuming I can get it on an Apple TV or similar) and watch whatever's playing rather than crawling through a bunch of promotions and trying to find something that looks good.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rovert posted:

It is nothing nefarious it is a health issue. And apparently they are done for good.

The company or the person with the health issue??

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Man, that's a loving bummer if it winds up being true. We'll have to start hitting up Inspire shows for sure.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

they are very good! ACH just got one of their main titles, and was in an insane five way. Delilah Doom will be back for the next show, and it's always paced and put together well so you're not aching to leave like Wrestle Circus. You won't see many big names, but Andy Dalton, Terale Tempo, Cody Lane, Gary Jay, Matthew Palmer, and Allie Cat are the usual regulars. They still keep popping around venues, but the next show is in January.

I do love me some Andy Dalton. My first exposure to him was in WC and was always bummed he didn't show up more often. We'll have to see if we can make it out in January!

Edit: the January show has ACH vs Shane Strickland so I'm definitely going to have to make it now.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

He's been my favorite part of Wrestle Circus. His entrance alone is a killer.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

When's the last time someone got released from WWE and didn't give the same "I've been held down" or whatever promo as soon as they got back on the indies?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Explosions posted:

El Patron sighs. His work is never through.

Hard for your work to ever be done when you never show up to your job

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Chris James 2 posted:

Also saying he's not a good partner, right in the middle of a tag league in New Japan with him

I mean that can be forgiven when you're saying it in a private conversation. You're allowed to complain, but at this point Big Mike gets no passes for any reason.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Super No Vacancy posted:

would anyone like to comment on my proposed tier list in preparation of a 2018 thread

For the uninitiated, what does any of this mean?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thauros posted:

it's a categorization of notable US and Canadian indie feds ranging from S Tier (highest) to Honorable Mention (lowest). ROH is listed as Graduated because he correctly noted that they're not really an indie anymore due to size, corporate ownership, and a roster that's mainly either exclusive or shared with NJPW.

Got it - the lettering system was throwing me off, but I figured it was something along those lines.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Is this the same MLW that was around in the early 2000s and had Kojima as champ at one point? And if so, has it existed this entire time or did it just come back recently?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Wrestle Circus is officially back February 17. Still in the old venue with the sometimes broken bathrooms, but excited nonetheless.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Benne posted:

Ellsworth is really gonna use up his "former WWE superstar" cache trying to be the Dime Store Joey Ryan, huh

Good for him? He's a bad wrestler but seems like a sweet lil dude and he's smart to coast on the small bout of fame he had. Hopefully it doesn't give him a big ego, and if we're lucky maybe we'll get to see Joey dickplex him one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Cross post from the lucha thread:

My local lucha indie is running a show tonight streaming live on twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/prowrestlingrevolution

Card:
LUCHA SUPER ESTELAR
Dragon Lee y Ultimo Dragon vs. El Misterioso y Titan

NWA MEXICO WELTERWEIGHT TITLE
Vaquero Fantasma vs. Skayde

NUMBER ONE CONTENDER TAG TITLES
Marcus Lewis / Ultimo Panda vs. Jungle Boy / El Prostipiropgolfo vs. Colt Stevens / JR Kratos vs. Arkady Federov / El Dinamita

SPECIAL ATTRACTION
Vapor vs. Jake Atlas

Papo Esco vs. El Chicano

Malandro & Diablo Azteca & El Mariachi Jr.
vs.
Grappler III & Zuca & Ojo Blanco

Jungle Boy is very good. He's Luke Perry's son (of Beverly Hils 90210 fame)

WHOA, Ultimo Dragon? Like, *THE* Ultimo Dragon? I had no idea he was even still wrestling.