Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Just finished watching Moyashimon, is the rest of the manga translated somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

Do the new moyashimon go in this thread?

Is it easy to make home made rice wine

I think it'd be an extension of this process?

http://userealbutter.com/2015/02/04/chinese-fermented-sweet-rice-jiu-niang-recipe/

The alcohol content is pretty low but it's tasty! I should figure out where to get the starter

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Compendium posted:

I remember watching a the TabiEats Youtube channel and the dudes mentioned in their cake video after they an apple pie sort of pastry that Japanese apple pies don't have cinnamon which really took me aback because when I think apple pie, you think cinnamon and nutmeg. I doublechecked and went to this other Japanese channel I follow that did some cooking and his recipe did not have any spices, just sugar, lemon juice, and a homemade pie crust.

I wonder if it's a taste thing

Sometimes

Foods in different places

Are prepared differently?!?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I heard that American pancakes don't have green onions which really took me aback because when you think pancakes, you think green onions and black pepper. I doublechecked and went to this other American channel I follow that did some cooking and his recipe did not have any green onions, just sugar, blueberries, and a homemade batter.

I wonder if it's a taste thing

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Compendium posted:

On the one hand, I do sound stupid so I'll give you that, but on the other hand responding like an rear end in a top hat isn't helping your case either. The preparation I was curious about is literally a small discrepancy.

Are you aware of what kind of connotations discrepancy has? What kind of response are you expecting from a post where you are extremely confused about a minor difference in a dish prepared in different cultures? Was I supposed to respond "well the Japanese have a delicate pallet...."

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Compendium posted:

"Why isn't there cinnamon or nutmeg in Japanese apple pies? Is it not widely available or you can't normally find it there? Is it just not popular? Is it more expensive for that part of the world to procure cinnamon? How did that recipe without that ingredient develop???"

If you're saying I have worse connotations in my original post, sure, again I own up to the fact that my post doesn't sound great, but you're also being a dick.

So....the reasons you were thinking of that a culture doesn't make something the american way is because they literally cant'? :hmmyes: My god dude I wouldn't be being such a dick if you didn't keep saying this kind of poo poo. The weirdness is that you think regional differences in food preparation is some sort of limitation or just straight up incorrect because it isn't american is loving gross. Think about your assumptions for like 5 seconds before posting next time because goddamn the ethnocentrism is strong in you.

And please consider the fact that japan has, in living memory, temporarily conquered the place where cinnamon comes from.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

That chapter was :perfect: