Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think not enough people are talking about Cooking Master Boy/Chuuka Ichiban because it is my favorite (okay I've only seen like 3 or 4 other items from the list in the OP) cooking anime. It's probably more shounen than any cooking thing you're watching, and very accurately portrays the extremely 100% real era of Chinese history known as the Cooking Wars, when the Cooking Underworld sought to take control of China through the power of cooking. The character designs are pretty great and remind me a lot of the Suikoden games, and I like the main character, who has all the confidence of a shounen protagonist but none of the rudeness--he's actually a friendly guy who is perfectly aware that he's awesome at cooking.

Note: the manga only goes half as far as the anime, and frankly, I think the anime is a better experience.

cons: It's quite old, so the animation looks dated. Also, it ends without resolving the main story arc. (it ends with the team setting off to find a the other 5 of 7 magical cooking utensils)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My favorite one, Chuuka Ichiban, is finally getting a continuation! Finally, I get to see if the Cooking Underworld was able to conquer China and take the seven legendary cooking utensils for themselves!

https://twitter.com/Ogawa_Etsushi/status/919033742336786432

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

DoubleDonut posted:

Furthermore, I'd like to tell everyone that scanlations of Cooking Master Boy have started up again.

Did the manga ever go beyond where the anime went? The current translations look like they're only barely even halfway to where the anime stopped.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1092268949297713153

YESSSS AFTER 20 YEARS MY FAVORITE ONE IS FINALLY CONTINUING

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Naw, it's an accurate retelling of the 100% real era of Chinese history, the Cooking Wars, when the underground cooking society sought to control all of China through cooking. It features totally plausible dishes like the laughing buns that sound like they're taunting you (because of the steam escaping through a little slit in the dough), and realistic cooking techniques like flipping upside down and twirling a giant stick to knead dough.

I don't think Mao is any more unrealistically competent than Soma, anyway, and he's far less a brash shonen type like Soma is, which is a plus. Also, all the character designs remind me of Suikoden. I've only seen the anime, but the cooking presentation takes about as long as any shokugeki I've seen.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Edit: And that explains why I literally understood nothing of what was going on. It's Sequel to the original 90s series.

Excellent, that's what I was wondering about. I was left hanging by the original series as they embarked on their quest to find the seven legendary cooking utensils!

Cooking Master Boy is about China's youngest Super Chef, Liu Mao Xing, and his friends, and takes place during the 100% real period of Chinese history, the Cooking Wars Era. At first they were just fighting other strong chefs, but eventually got wrapped up in stopping the Cooking Underworld from conquering China through their cooking, and are now on a quest to find the legendary cooking utensils, of which they've found... I think 2 or 3. One is a knife that makes anything it cuts fresh, another is... I think it was a pot that instantly ferments anything. I can't recall if they'd found a third already by the time it ended.

Edit: Having watched it, I'm not entirely sure this takes place after the 90s series; it feels more like it takes place in the middle of it. The 90s series ended with them traveling with Fei, the other Super Chef who was watching the competition. And they were already travelling with the guys seen fighting in the OP, too.

Edit 2: Ok the preview depicts their first meeting with one of the guys in the credits, so I think they're remaking the series... starting from the middle of the original season, for some reason?

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 12, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It took 52 chapters, but Isekai Izakaya Nobu finally got around to the most important part of any isekai story

the fantasy medieval people being extremely into soy sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

kirtar posted:

At least it's not being done by a scammer this time.

Do I want to know