Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Architecture?

I'm not really sure why games aren't talked about in architectural terms as much. Possibly because 'architecture/building critic' doesn't sound as glamourous as being a film critic or a music critic or an art critic.

But something that's 'explored at your own pace' (for most games), that has interactivity, that has elements of both practical construction (a building needs to stay upright) and has elements of aesthetic (people like pretty games and pretty buildings) - that's something that should probably be applied more to games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

achillesforever6 posted:

What's funny wasn't The Last of Us considered "The Citizen Kane of games" that very year by a bunch of critics?

I mean it was good and fun, but that was a little lofty, though I always have a soft spot for Naughty Dog games.

The Last of Us is an artistic success in the sense that it had beautifully rendered environments, great voice actors and voice acting, generally good atmosphere, a competently written story, etc.

Yet its gameplay wasn't anything really different from any other shooty-game with stealth elements.

I think calling it a 'Citizen Kane' or heaping high praise on it is a little silly and critically narrow. The film that wins Best Cinematography at the Oscars isn't always the film that wins Best Picture (leaving aside Oscars politics).

The Last of Us
is the Avatar of gaming. Except with more likable characters.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't think of an AAA game that isn't the Avatar of gaming.

If the new Doom is AAA then it's probably the Mad Max Fury Road of gaming.
It's the fourth one, it's a semi-reboot, action is great, story is simple but good.

And just like Fury Road, the action is always in the crosshairs :hurr:

• Locked thread